What is your profession?

FloridaMan

What is your profession? Or, if retired, what was it?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Profession?

• Professional pilot
    • Medical Doctor or Surgeon
    • Attorney
    • Technology related (software/hardware/electronics/networking)
    • Accounting
    • Construction/Civil engineering/Property management or development
    • Real Estate sales
    • Academic (professor/teacher/administration)
    • Military
    • Other profession
    • Dentist
    • Other Aviation Profession (A&P, Engineer, et cetera)
    • Insurance

Hey Mooney 1401,  your Mooney's ident rings a bell, but probably from one of your flight into Montréal's TCU.

Ottawa TCU and Québec TCU, better known as "Les Capitales", are also located in the same building, but I don't work those airspace!

But next time I hear your call sign, I'll say Hi!

Pierre

Salut Pierre, je vais de temps-en-temps dans la zone du terminal de Montréal habituellement Mascouche. L'indicatif est C-FQKM. Ton avion est basé à quel endroit? Je suis à Ottawa.

Yves

Salut Pierre, je vais de temps-en-temps dans la zone du terminal de Montréal habituellement Mascouche. L'indicatif est C-FQKM. Ton avion est basé à quel endroit? Je suis à Ottawa.

Yves

Un autre ident qui me dit de quoi!  Moi c'est CGJDP basé à Lachute, CSE4.  :)

To hell with Georgia!

Hear, hear! Florida, too!!

War Eagle!!

Ga. Tech was on my list of possibilities, but being in downtown Hotlanta was a strong reason that I avoided it. In-state tuition was also higher than out-of-state was at Auburn, and there's no doubt that housing cost more. I worked with many Techies after graduation, all about the same age, and they definitely confirmed the expense. [$400 water bills??? That was three months' room and board for me!]

How's life in Houston? I have a cousin who lives there, and I'm curious. Mild winters? Hot summers? It's on the Gulf coast, so it will be Southern humid, can't be worse than LA was.

Hear, hear! Florida, too!!

War Eagle!!

Ga. Tech was on my list of possibilities, but being in downtown Hotlanta was a strong reason that I avoided it. In-state tuition was also higher than out-of-state was at Auburn, and there's no doubt that housing cost more. I worked with many Techies after graduation, all about the same age, and they definitely confirmed the expense. [$400 water bills??? That was three months' room and board for me!]

How's life in Houston? I have a cousin who lives there, and I'm curious. Mild winters? Hot summers? It's on the Gulf coast, so it will be Southern humid, can't be worse than LA was.

Downtown Atlanta wasn't bad -- they really cleaned it up for the Olympics (I started in 1997), and I had been raised a yankee dreaming of an urban campus (that said, it wasn't quite the Boston I was picturing..).  Apparently its even nicer now, at Georgia Tech has filled in the other side of the highway into midtown.  I had heard stories of students before me hearing gun fire from the North Avenue projects (they are all Georgia Tech dorms now, so...  Atlanta tore down all its midtown projects and put in mixed income housing, which became high in demand for the gentrified Atlantians, bringing in an entirely different dynamic)

Interesting the effect of instate v. out of state.  When I went, even out of state was downright cheap at $9000/year (plus another $4000 for room and board, lived on campus all four years) compared to in state tuition in many places (though not in Florida, where it was free for in state high school grads with over a certain GPA, but the quality of an engineering education at Georgia Tech was too high to turn down).   (Now they are closer to $25k, but colleges, man, they have gone crazy). 

As for Houston, well, if you like hot and the south, I guess you'd like it.  There's not much to do outside besides water sports on murky water.  Its flat.  Its ridiculously hot in the summer, spring and fall are reasonably nice.  We have a great theater district and even better rodeo.  I'd rather move somewhere on either the east or west coast myself, but I'm a yankee, not a southern girl..

Peut-etre quelque fois on doit avoire un "fly-in" northerne?

Hey you're almost my neighbour! Maybe 25 min flying time, if not for the border crossing procedures...

Used to be a Northeastern chapter of the Vintage Mooneys, does that still exist?

Other - Financial Advisor and Full Wealth Manager.

I take care of investments, Life Insurance, and estate planning for my clinets to help simply their lives, allow them to reach their goals, and ensure they retire comfortably.

I work with some pilots, and as a Finanical Advisor, my first advice would be to sell your airplane.  However, I love flying too much, so unless it's really necessary, I would not suggest that to a pilot and aircraft owner.  That's why as a Financial Advisor I work so well with pilots.  I also work with insurance carriers who are pilot friendly for life insurance.  My practice in many cases uses tax advanged strategies using some insurance vehicles and other investments to grow a clients assents in the most tax efficient manner (certain investments actually give you tax write offs).  I have an attorny I work with for Wills, Trusts, and Advanced Healthcare Directives.  It is important to be THE trusted advisor of my clients.

I work for an independend broker dealer and seeing that I love airplanes, I'm in the midst of launching a new sub division of my practice called "Ascent Financial Management" to work with pilots.  I'll let everyone know once that division is up and running.

Take care,

-Seth

Aerospace Engineer, before retirement I had a fun job building turbine engines, ground and flight testing them in Boieng ,Airbus and our company's flying test bed, a Boeing 720B. Now it's working on home projects, restoring a 1941 Taylorcraft and flying my Mooney. A big part of retirement for my wife and me is spending more time with our family. I have also found a part time job at my son inlaws auto repair garage as the guy with a mop and bucket. 

Norm