What is your profession?

FloridaMan

What is your profession? Or, if retired, what was it?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Profession?

• Professional pilot
    • Medical Doctor or Surgeon
    • Attorney
    • Technology related (software/hardware/electronics/networking)
    • Accounting
    • Construction/Civil engineering/Property management or development
    • Real Estate sales
    • Academic (professor/teacher/administration)
    • Military
    • Other profession
    • Dentist
    • Other Aviation Profession (A&P, Engineer, et cetera)
    • Insurance

Former Electrical Engineer, Apartment Sales Broker, Real Estate Developer in that order.

Real Estate Investor past, present, and future.

Currently a flight instructor for the past 21 years.  Mostly Mooneys.

I clicked on a number of the choices that applied and the poll seemed to allow it?

Hmmm, still can't quote from Explorer, just from the iPad.

Don't feel bad about doing the same old thing, Rob. At least your job is listed! My entire industry is not on the list [manufacturing of any kind is not on the list]. I spent the last two decades manufacturing a variety of medical devices; last month I jumped out of medical and now make home, commercial, industrial and fire service water meters.

I noticed there are several engineers.  Any other Auburn grads?

War Eagle!! I used to sit in the stands and chant, "GO, BO, GO!!" I just followed jobs, slowly moving north . . . . but the benefits were worth it [including PPL and Mooney].

I knew there had to be at least one more.  We are just outside Auburn and are always hiring engineers.  Let me know if you decide to move back south.

Funny, on page 2 of this thread the preceding post was from about 2.5 years ago.  Now we both work for the same water meter company.

Former Army National Guard Officer and Helicopter pilot, CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, part time charter pilot ... turned airline pilot about twenty years ago ... (What was I thinking?)

University of Missouri, Bachelors of Science in Secondary Education - Language Arts.

Also a fellow Mizzou grad. BS in biology. Then my MD there. Now a Urologist.

• Like 1

USAF Ret, 28yrs of fighter piloting, F-16s whole time.

Airline Boeing jockey

Aerospace System Expertise LLC Defense Consultant

specialize in South America, Defense articles and Defense company translations

Weapons Development

Pilot to Vehicle Interface

Counter Insurgency Weapons Business Development (Light Attack Aircraft)

I stay busy...

Former airline pilot, current air traffic controller here!

So... Finally found someone to ask all of those nagging questions about routing! :)

Are you Center or an airport controller? I would love to just once get a route filed without it being changed. Is that even possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a respiratory therapist since about 1984. I teach this field in a small career college.

I 've own a 1967 Mooney M20 E for 7 months now . It is awesome . 

carl

• Like 1

So... Finally found someone to ask all of those nagging questions about routing! :)

Are you Center or an airport controller? I would love to just once get a route filed without it being changed. Is that even possible?

I'm a tower controller, so I do a fair amount of issuing clearances.

It really depends on where you are specifically in the country. My airport, for example, has three different sectors of Oakland Center directly overhead and terrain in all directions. So around here, the center assigns an "adapted departure routing" which is essentially the route change that you get when you are issued something different from what you filed. Since we have 3 sectors above us, the probability of getting this alternate routing is pretty high. It's simply the antiquated computer system assigning you a route. The trick is knowing what these computer assigned routes are.

I've found the most reliable method to be filing with fltplan.com (or equivalent) and take a look at the 10 most recently assigned ATC routes between your two airports. File that, and 95% of the time you will get "as filed" because you have already chosen exactly what the center computer was going to give you! Easy!

• Like 1

I'm a tower controller, so I do a fair amount of issuing clearances.

It really depends on where you are specifically in the country. My airport, for example, has three different sectors of Oakland Center directly overhead and terrain in all directions. So around here, the center assigns an "adapted departure routing" which is essentially the route change that you get when you are issued something different from what you filed. Since we have 3 sectors above us, the probability of getting this alternate routing is pretty high. It's simply the antiquated computer system assigning you a route. The trick is knowing what these computer assigned routes are.

I've found the most reliable method to be filing with fltplan.com (or equivalent) and take a look at the 10 most recently assigned ATC routes between your two airports. File that, and 95% of the time you will get "as filed" because you have already chosen exactly what the center computer was going to give you! Easy!

I will admit I haven't spent much time on fltpln but based on your recommendation, I will. It always seems like a chess match for me on the northeast side of the country. I fly to see family in upstate New York a half dozen times a year. In the past few years since I have been based here, I have given up trying to figure out the route and will go VFR if the weather works.

On Saturday, I flew with Jack Merritt out to Pittsburgh. We filed the exact same route we took on the way out and ended up with something that was 70 miles northeast. I will try to see what fltpln offers. Thanks.

The trick is knowing what these computer assigned routes are.

That may work some places . . . I was based at KHTW for seven years, and am now at 06A. I visit exciting places like N51, 33A, KMLJ. Try to look up routings from my base(s) to any of these. If you actually find any, they are probably me . . .

But if I was based at KPDK and routinely flew to places like BNA or even LEX, there would probably be some routings to look up.

Any advice for those of us taking the roads less traveled?

Retired in April 2002 after selling my Adelaide (South Australia) based Engineering business I'd established in 1982

Employed 30 people when sold in 2002,

Bought it back September 2013 with then 6 employees for less than 2 cents in the dollar,

Built it back up to ~25 employees by Feb 2014

Retired (again) just last week - this time my son is running it.

Treating myself to a trip to Oshkosh 2015 in Seat 1A as a retirement gift to myself.

• Like 8

That may work some places . . . I was based at KHTW for seven years, and am now at 06A. I visit exciting places like N51, 33A, KMLJ. Try to look up routings from my base(s) to any of these. If you actually find any, they are probably me . . .

But if I was based at KPDK and routinely flew to places like BNA or even LEX, there would probably be some routings to look up.

Any advice for those of us taking the roads less traveled?

If you can't find any previously assigned ATC routes between your two airports because they are lesser known places... and there aren't any larger airports in the proximity that you could check, then there is really no surefire way to ensure you get an 'as-filed' clearance. Airspace on the east coast can be pretty crazy, and sometimes you just have to get that pen and paper ready!

Just for fun, I chose two random airports you mentioned for an example using fltplan.com. If I were to fly KHTW - KMLJ, it's telling me that the last planned ATC route between the two was DIRECT. So it's reasonable to say if I file DIRECT between the two, then I would likely get DIRECT. No promises, as airspace is constantly evolving - but that's your best bet. If nothing showed up between those two airports, I'd try plugging in a larger airport close by to MLJ or HTW and see if any routings show up for those, and I would use that.

In my experience, if you are flying between podunk airport A and podunk airport B, and there isn't any complex airspace along the route, you can usually count on DIRECT. People in the middle part of the country are really spoiled!  :D

Just play with fltplan.com a little bit. It's a really un-user friendly interface, imo, but it is what I have always used and it works well once you get it down.

One other thing I forgot to mention, is that fltplan.com has a feature where if you check your filed flight plan about 30mins prior to departure on their website, they will actually show you what your expected ATC route is! That way you can at least be prepared. I've also found this feature to be pretty accurate.

• Like 1

I used to file direct all the time. Now I've learned the two deviations around ATL (NW uses HEFIN, while SE uses SINCA); it adds about 30 minutes when I visit Mom & Dad at 33A. So far I've yet to enter ATL's Bravo airspace other than on the interstate. I'd go over the top, but it's 12,500 msl and my poor little C just doesn't like it there, even when I borrow an oxygen tank.

Just like fltplan.com, FlightAware.com, and ForeFlight will give you suggested or previously approved/flown routes between airports. I find that FlightAware usually gives me the best/accurate list. And if you open FlightAware on the same iPad where you have ForeFlight, there will be a button in FlightAware to send the route to ForeFlight automatically.  It's all too easy.

• Like 1

Interventional Cardiologist, Legal Consultant/Expert Witness, Real Estate Investor and since I've owned my Mooney, I sometimes feel like a professional Dog Flyer-er :)

(cool post by the way to get to see what everyone does besides fly Mooneys)

Started as a field engineer in the oil patch after graduating from the University of Western Australia with a Civil Engineering degree...since then moved between Oz, SEA, Middle East and Europe following the Texas tea...just moved from the UK to Abu Dhabi and struggling to see if there is a way to bring my Mooney here!

• Like 1