Need Fuel Cap adapter ring for M20C 1965

yvesg

Hi guys,

I am getting my right tank investigated for leak (before the paint job) and my mechanic after pulling the inspection panel reported to me that water made its way in and corroded the filler neck and pushed it apart, damaging it beyond repair. See picture. We've been looking to find the part and having some difficulty. Would any folks have some ideas? Anyone would have the filler neck part available somewhere?

Side: Passenger

Thanks,

Yves

C-FQKM

post-8981-0-64252000-1360270759_thumb.jp

post-8981-0-02656000-1360270770_thumb.jp

The nice lady from the MSC can probably help out. They are now made out of SS.

My '65C's last pain was those rusted fill necks...

How much water are you getting?

Be aware that the rusty bits will show up all the way to the fuel screen at the valve. After that, there is a screen prior to the carburetor that should be checked/cleaned...

Keep in mind that tiny bits can clog a carburetor jet.

Best regards,

-a-

Carusoam, what MSC are you talking about? I do not get much water. Actually the last time I had significant water was several years ago. I did get trouble getting the caps out last week due to frozen water. Yves C-FQKM

Any MSC would work. But Sheryl from LASAR is often monitoring MooneySpace...

http://www.lasar.com/default.asp

These mild steal pieces have been known to rust, most deeply at the bent area. All the way through in the bend.

It starts with a drip, and more over a year, then a gallon, then you realize what's going on and What the requirement is.

It will only leak if you leave it outside.

The rust that you are seeing, and will find when you sump the tank, is hazardous...

My confusion was exacerbated by a previous owner replacing parts that were not Mooney specific. I paid a lot for new caps first, and they were on a 45 degree angle when they tried to close.

I took it to an MSC, where word of mouth sold my challenges quickly...

Overall a pair of necks, and matching caps, some sealant, rivets and a mechanic with tools. Probably doesn't take that long.

Looks like you have done the tough part already...

Make sure the new necks vent properly, check the full fuel level before setting out on that fist long cross country.

Best regards,

-a-