Wings Over North Georgia (airshow)

Jamie

That sounds like the perfect Southeast Mooney fly in opportunity.  I hadn't seen the schedule for that show, but we can certainly organize a Mooney fly-in. Maybe get Joey Cole to give some sort of talk for an early morning meeting before the event starts.

• Like 1

This would be great. How do we do this? Just post a meet up thread in this forum?

Logistics-wise, can one fly into an airshow? I mean, obviously not while a show is in progress, but do they close the airport before / during / after? If so, for how long?

The web site of the air show appears to be: http://wingsovernorthgeorgia.com/

No schedule yet, but it cross checks with the Thunderbirds schedule at: http://afthunderbirds.com/site/show-season/

If we need someone to coordinate with the airshow people and no one else is better connected, I volunteer.

I've been the quasi-official Mooney Ambassador organizer for a couple of years and we've done a few events, so I'll just make this part of the Southeast Mooney event schedule. Jamie, I'm going to send you a PM here on the forum with instructions for getting yourself on the Southeast Mooney mailing list, which is how I communicate to everyone. I also use this Forum.

As to flying into an airshow, it can definitely be done. Witness the thousands of folks who fly in and out of Sun n Fun and OSH every year just for the day. I looked into the North Georgia airshow last year and I think they closed the AD at about Noon and opened it again about 5pm, according to the NOTAMs. So you just have to be prepared to spend the full day at the event.

Jeff

Subscribed. Thanks.

The only reason I asked about the process of flying in is that I googled it and found a california airshow that said something about "due to demand, a limited number of spots for transient aircraft have been made available. Call to reserve yours before...".  I can see where parking could be a problem, but I don't know. I hope we can make this happen. It's like chocolate and peanut butter... flying to an airshow. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have officially added this to the Southeast Mooney event calendar for the year. Joey Cole has agreed to give us a tour of his facility and talk about any maintenance issues we want to address, and I'll work with the show organizer to make sure we can have a gaggle of Mooneys all fly in and lined up somewhere for the event.

I've added this to our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/events/569743766372142/

I'll start putting together details in the summer and post them to all the usual places.  This will be fun!

Okay, I have officially added this to the Southeast Mooney event calendar for the year. Joey Cole has agreed to give us a tour of his facility and talk about any maintenance issues we want to address, and I'll work with the show organizer to make sure we can have a gaggle of Mooneys all fly in and lined up somewhere for the event.

I've added this to our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/events/569743766372142/

I'll start putting together details in the summer and post them to all the usual places.  This will be fun!

thanks, Jeff.

• 2 months later...

Update.

I've been checking the website (http://wingsovernorthgeorgia.com/). The Thunderbirds graphic has been replaced with one showing The Black Diamond Jet Team. So, not the Thunderbirds, but still probably more than sufficiently loud. :)

Sequestration....

Thunderbirds and the Blues have cancelled this season.

• 1 month later...
The 2013 Wings Over North Georgia air show featuring the Black Diamond Jet Team is excited to announce for our General Aviation aircraft guests the opportunity to experience the air show by flying directly into Richard B. Russell Regional Airport (KRMG). We have both asphalt/grass transient, overnight and aircraft camping spots available. If you would like to include your aircraft as a static display, your General Admissions ticket fees will be waived for the pilot & co-pilot. You can learn more about the fly-in and camping options at www.wingsovernorthgeorgia.com. Visit the attractions/general aviation and guest info/camping tabs or drop us an email at info@wingsovernorthgeorgia.com for more information. We look forwartd to hosting the Mooney Aircraft Owners Groups...

Folks, this is still firmly on the agenda for the SE Mooniacs to have a fly-in, visit with Joey Cole, etc.  I've tried contacting the show organizer twice via email, as per their directions on the website, to see what we need to do to have an organized Fly In during the event. Haven't heard back from him yet, but it's only May and since this isn't until October he's probably prioritizing.  I'll keep everyone posted through this forum, our mailing list, and our Facebook page.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm just re-energizing this thread since we're getting closer to the event so I need to start planning. I've talked to Joey at Cole Aviation and he's happy to host a short session in the morning prior to the airshow. It will be an informal Q&A of any maintenance questions you've got, a tour of his hangar and projects underway, etc.  Then we'll stay through the airshow before heading out.

I sent a note out to my Southeast Mooney mail list this morning, but if you're not on that list and plan/want to attend, please PM me here so I can get a general count of how many to expect. I'll need to alert the show organizers about parking. FYI, we will NOT be parking on the static line but they still need to know how much space to plan for. Thanks!

Jeff

Here's an update. I just spoke with the event organizer this morning, and they are looking forward to our arrival on Saturday October 12.  I told him at this point we expect between 10-15 planes, based on the responses I've had here, at our Facebook page and through the Southeast Mooney mailing list.  For those of you planning to attend, just make sure you let me know through one of these outlets (PM me here if you don't use Facebook or are not on the SE Mooney mail list) and I will coordinate with the show as to how many planes to expect.

We will be parked together in a paved area somewhat north of the FBO and Cole Aviation hangar, but nothing is that far a walk.  We should plan to arrive by 9am in order to have some time at Joey Coles. Also, there will be a temporary tower with new frequencies, and other instructions relating to aerodrome closing times for the airshow box, so I will distribute those but you should also go to the main show site (http://www.wingsovernorthgeorgia.com) periodically to stay informed.

Thanks!

BTW: I think it's great, but somewhat embarrassing, that they are having the Canadian Air Force F-18 demonstration team there in place of our own Thunderbirds. Since when is Canada better at managing their economy than US? (I know...since 2008...it was a rhetorical question.)

lol.

Yup, wx permitting I'm going. Paved is good, looking forward to meeting Joey. Thanks for putting this together.

edit: Oh.. I haven't received anything from you in the way of special info for this. How will we be parked together? Do I need to make a sign for the dash or something?