Typical M20C speeds (TAS)

You can FP for what ever you want What you really do is another matter :-)

64 D/C 3 blade, always 8500' or higher (I start at 4300'), FT, 2550-2600 ROP I get 135 kts solid, 140 kts. on a good day. No mods.  Been that way for 1700 hours of flying it. Always 10 GPH first hour, 9 GPH second hour and 8 GPH for the rest of the fuel. 

• Like 1

N9738M owned and flown (now accompanied) by the same A&P for 40 years seems to get above the 150kt TAS mark with 3 on board at 11,500 feet after letting it stretch it's legs. ARI cowl, gap seals, no step, antennas cleaned up, wing root fairings, tail fairings, gear door fairings, 201 windshield and wing tips. I thought that this was normal but maybe it is not. Fresh blue-printed O-360 and 2 blade scimitar airfoil  prop. We checked the AS indicator with a static column for calibration purposes and found it to be dead nuts on between 140MPH and 160MPH so CAS is most likely close.

9738M at 11500 160kys TAS.JPG

2 hours ago, jrwilson said:

Whoever got that thing painted before you got it, wow!  They did a great job!!!  Look, the tow bar even matches.  Amazing attention to detail  :)

Yes the matching towbar was definitely one of the selling points. The paint is beautiful and still looks brand new. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, jrwilson said:

Lol.  I hope you’re enjoying the plane.  She treated us well for 12 years.  

Thank you. She’s a beautiful aircraft and the pride of ownership is apparent. I believe the panel was redone by the person that bought it from you. One of the nicest 63 C models (if not the nicest) around that I have seen. I couldn’t pass it up. 

3BD7DBF6-B85B-44ED-A42C-3F0661175128.jpeg

Noob question inbound...I always see details of for sale mooneys mentioning having done the brake rotation when it comes to listing speed mods...is the extra drag in the stock position that bad? Does it make the brakes any easier/harder to work on? What kind of increase in numbers are you guys getting from this?  

Edited by BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy

8 hours ago, 1963M20C said:

Thank you. She’s a beautiful aircraft and the pride of ownership is apparent. I believe the panel was redone by the person that bought it from you. One of the nicest 63 C models (if not the nicest) around that I have seen. I couldn’t pass it up. 

3BD7DBF6-B85B-44ED-A42C-3F0661175128.jpeg

Great looking use of panel space here! My only question would be, how do you find having the transponder that far over? Do feel like you miskey codes more because of the reach for it? It’s still a really great update to this older bird, I’m just curious. 

9 minutes ago, BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy said:

Great looking use of panel space here! My only question would be, how do you find having the transponder that far over? Do feel like you miskey codes more because of the reach for it? It’s still a really great update to this older bird, I’m just curious. 

He can control the transponder with his 625. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy said:

Noob question inbound...I always see details of for sale mooneys mentioning having done the brake rotation when it comes to listing speed mods...is the extra drag in the stock position that bad? Does it make the brakes any easier/harder to work on? What kind of increase in numbers are you guys getting from this?  

1.) Speed increase: small to none.  You might see 2mph, unless you have other speed mods, in which case you'll seen none.

2.) It makes the brakes much easier to work on.

2.a.) if you get a flat main tire, you might have brake caliper damage.  At a minimum you'll have a broken off brake bleeder fitting.

Bottom line, IMHO- if it's already been done, I wouldn't change it back.  If it hasn't been done, I wouldn't do it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 1963M20C said:

nice panel....I just realized that my yokes need to match like yours, any paperwork come with your plane to show who did them?. Your black yokes blend in so much nicer.  Even the black around your iPad makes a big difference.  I have a gold metal piece that I think was standard from the factory, That needs to go to....Inspiration costs so much money, and down time.  You cost me a lot of money today !!!

IMG_8373 copy.jpeg

IMG_8381-3 copy.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, Jim Peace said:

nice panel....I just realized that my yokes need to match like yours, any paperwork come with your plane to show who did them?. Your black yokes blend in so much nicer.  Even the black around your iPad makes a big difference.  I have a gold metal piece that I think was standard from the factory, That needs to go to....Inspiration costs so much money, and down time.  You cost me a lot of money today !!!

IMG_8373 copy.jpeg

IMG_8381-3 copy.jpeg

Nice looking panel! I didnt see anything in the logs about the yokes. They appear to be wrapped with stitched leather (or vinyl). jrwilson might have some info on that as he is the previous owner.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, 1963M20C said:

Nice looking panel! I didnt see anything in the logs about the yokes. They appear to be wrapped with stitched leather (or vinyl). jrwilson might have some info on that as he is the previous owner.

I don't know about the yokes, done by someone before me...

• 2 years later...

That fuel flow is about right (if correct) for a sea level takeoff at 180 HP. AT 8500 feet one has maybe 72% HP available so the fuel flow should be around 10 GPH  or a little more. 

I'm skeptical of your FF figure. Can you elaborate more on engine mods, etc? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

That fuel flow is about right (if correct) for a sea level takeoff at 180 HP. AT 8500 feet one has maybe 72% HP available so the fuel flow should be around 10 GPH  or a little more. 

Maybe a smidge more for his PF exhaust?  But yeah, seems pretty high.  

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

I don't have a fuel flow gage, but my owner's manual shows 18 gph for sea level full power. And cruising 8500 and up I seem to be less than 9 gph. But hey, my C has the guppy mouth closure and 201 windshield . . . plus a Hartzell 3-blade.

I appreciate the responses.

-EI fuel flow gauge, might have 5-10% error but hard to say if I fill it to the top every single time.  Still, I'm spending a lot on gas.

-ported and balanced engine 750 hours

-fresh carb overhaul

-fresh left mag and coil

-electroair for #2 spot

-powerflow exhaust, they say it'll increase gph if you don't keep your foot out of it

-Hartzell 3 blade, fresh overhaul

-201 windscreen

-Lasar's half guppy denture

-2400 rpm WOT with Autolean at 75 ROP for the last few 3 hour xc, 3 blade rpm restrictions...

I'm a bit cautious on the leaning until I get a proper engine monitor and I'm still using the single stock EGT without #'s.  Just after takeoff I'm seeing 16.5 gph, I should glance at it next round.