Forrest Gump had it right

Wow! Looks like I need to fill my swimming pool up with mud again. Until the final accident report is issued, I am reserving judgement on what happened with this flight. Just like I am reserving judgement on the accident that involved the member of the NJ Mooney Pilots group. Bad things happen to good people...

• Like 1

The biggest risk of flying at 1000' AGL (in flat country, at least) with  2000' ceiling is antennas. The new GPS's with terrain and obstacle alerts in their database can greatly reduce the risk of flying into them.  Our Aera 500 is wired into the audio panel.  It triggered an obstacle alert on an IFR departure a few days ago just as Approach called us with their alarms going off in the background. "Turn right immediately".  There is a 1600' antenna just south of the airport. The Obstacle DP says heading 139 until passing 1600' before turning west.  Due to strong winds aloft, our ground track was more like 170, bringing up within one mile of the antenna.  We were still in VMC, but it still looked pretty close.

Byron,

Yeah, that happens, try looking up KIKV on your chart. Always gives me the heartburn when I depart 36 IMC.

When I scud run, I look over the charts, plan a route that keeps me miles away from anything charted and fly that route. Did it in for many a winter flight before I had TKS. Now I just climb to FL180 and enjoy the sunshine.

Andy

The point, I think, is to learn as much as we can from this unfortunate accident. You are being very judgmental, pretentious and disrespectful. You are very quick to play Monday morning qb. It's very easy to fall into that trap especially when a fellow pilot and his passengers are dead and unable to answer any questions.

Let's not forget that a similar occurrence can indeed happen to anyone given the right circumstances and sequence of events leading to it. I'm certain his intention was not to lose the airplane.

May I suggest you judge a lot less and instead we all learn as much as we can with utmost respect, humility and professionalism.

B.S.

If I disregard multiple safety lifelines and auger in with those I love RIP me a new one and spit on my grave...

No excuse for this incident. I read I learned. I judge. The end.

• Like 1