GPS Questions

Marauder

Was the GPS to VLOC issue to do with the ILS being in the standby vs. the active?
FAA notes a GPS Flight Advisory today and tomorrow near my area so hopefully that is my issue but my suspicion is an antenna issue as the 430 had signal.

No, there is a definite window where the conversion will happen. I was flying outside of the window.

5cd436766ad50ef89cbcef59b4c7e7ce.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 1/18/2013 at 6:31 PM, Marauder said:
On 1/18/2013 at 3:43 PM, txbyker said:
Just for grins when you load the approach press the large knob and make sure the NAV frequency is loaded primary and not standby. 

I saw that that was a problem when I loaded my first ILS approach. I'm pretty sure that I had the ILS frequency loaded the next few times I flew. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend and I'll be able to do more testing. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I know you have the Aspens, but this is the instructions for the G500 how the GPS has to be setup.  Might be the same for the Aspens?  Step 1 is load an ILS approach, step 2 is have the ILS frequency active (not standby).

2.7.4 Auto-Slewing

The G500/G600 system is designed to interface with GPS navigator units and also manage up to four different CDI course pointers (GPS1, NAV1, GPS2, NAV2) independently. The G500/G600 will automatically slew the NAV course pointer to the correct nal approach course when a ILS, LOC, LOC BC, LDA or SDF approach is active in the GPS navigator and the appropriate frequency is in the active window in the navigator. The G500/G600 will Auto-Slew the HSI course pointer for an ILS, LOC, LOC BC, LDA, or SDF approach when the steps below are completed in the following order:

1. The desired approach is selected and activated in the navigator (this can be veried by the approach waypoints appearing on the GDU 620 MFD Nav Map Page or FPL Page).

2. The appropriate frequency is the active frequency in the navigator.

3. The CDI selection on the GDU 620 is changed to NAV course pointer for the active navigator. 

I know you have the Aspens, but this is the instructions for the G500 how the GPS has to be setup.  Might be the same for the Aspens?  Step 1 is load an ILS approach, step 2 is have the ILS frequency active (not standby).
2.7.4 Auto-Slewing
The G500/G600 system is designed to interface with GPS navigator units and also manage up to four different CDI course pointers (GPS1, NAV1, GPS2, NAV2) independently. The G500/G600 will automatically slew the NAV course pointer to the correct nal approach course when a ILS, LOC, LOC BC, LDA or SDF approach is active in the GPS navigator and the appropriate frequency is in the active window in the navigator. The G500/G600 will Auto-Slew the HSI course pointer for an ILS, LOC, LOC BC, LDA, or SDF approach when the steps below are completed in the following order:
  1. The desired approach is selected and activated in the navigator (this can be veried by the approach waypoints appearing on the GDU 620 MFD Nav Map Page or FPL Page).
  2. The appropriate frequency is the active frequency in the navigator.
  3. The CDI selection on the GDU 620 is changed to NAV course pointer for the active navigator. 

Yep, the Aspen has the same process. On the Aspen you lose auto-slewing on the VOR approaches but the rest functions the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On an ILS/LPV approach I always have my 530AW on LPV CDI#1 and the KX-165 on ILS CDI#2. This way I can cross check guidance on both CDI. I also have the Garmin Pilot in view on my Samsung for in case of a power loss during the approach and for nearby weather. This combination provides a high degree of assurance that I am on the right track.

José

• Like 1