External Mounting a Camera

Txbyker

I got a Gopro Hero 3 as a gift and am contemplating what to do with it. I use my ipad inside the cockpit for video. I am wondering if anyone has any idea about externally mounting a Gopro. I have read about using the tie down area under the wing. Also I saw a video of mounting a camera on the wing tip lense screws. Does anyone know if mounting a camera externally is permissible under the FAA? Also, is there any problems with obstructing airflow?

Russ

Can't wait to see it! One experience I had with external mount (and this was an old and different camera, so might not apply) is that it tends to fog up from inside for some reason. I think it's the cold air blowing across the glass that condenses the moisture from within the camera lens. Something to keep in mind.

Russ, there is a current discussion on camera mounting or un mounting by a couple of us, Oscar in south America and the other an Ovation in Australia... Have you seen their videos? Best regards, -a-
I think Oscar spoke about losing one of the cameras using the suction mount. According to their website it is it is is supposed to be good to 150 mph plus. Doesn't sound like the correct mount for aviation at the speeds we fly. http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/suction-cup'>http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/suction-cup GoPro sells an adhesive mount that will work better. I have used them on land based vehicles that go through a lot of weather and rough terrain. But you need to remove them with a hair dryer and I wonder how they would be on airplane paint. http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/curved-flat-adhesive-mounts'>http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/curved-flat-adhesive-mounts

I believe that the cameras work well. Their movies look really cool and their battery life of more than 2 hours are enough. Now regarding the mounts I think they are reliable. It was my mistake that I lost one last week. I mounted it on the wing and the suction cup may not have worked well on a curved wing. So when I got into some rain and turbulence the suction cup gave up and the camera joined the Guatemalan jungle...11k feet below. My experience is that suction cups work well on the belly and under the wings as long as you have a flat, clean and dry surface.

I saw a video on you tube of a guy who has mounted a go pro on the rudder of a SR 22. I am thinking of trying it out too...but most likely I would use the adhesive. If somebody has done it, please let me know. Meanwhile I may just use the occasion to upgrade to a go pro black...

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does anyone know if mounting a camera externally is permissible under the FAA?

I have an Australian approval to mount a Tachyon XD camera to the hoist point, and am applying for the GoPro approval at the same point right now.  You need to talk to your mechanic for a start as to whether he can sign off an installation. The FAA would not be as hard as our Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) in getting an approval.

I like the one shown using the tie down point to atach it simple, solid and removable. I thnk you may need some type of rubber vibration isolation mount.

I have not found the need for isolating vibrations, but I have found that the strobes can occasionally cause flicker on the image.  The GoPro adhesive backing has been left in place without peeling off the protecting layer, so in effect it does have a dampened connection.

the suction cup gave up and the camera joined the Guatemalan jungle...11k feet below

I would not use the suction mount, because once you get to altitude the reduction in atmospheric pressure means there is less differential force to hold it in place.  I have a suction mount inside the cockpit that I can almost guarantee will fall off at 8,500'.  Apart from the loss of the GoPro, imagine if it fell off over a populated area, hurt somebody and was traced back to the owner from the video content (assuming the SD card was undamaged).

I have an Australian approval to mount a Tachyon XD camera to the hoist point, and am applying for the GoPro approval at the same point right now.  You need to talk to your mechanic for a start as to whether he can sign off an installation. The FAA would not be as hard as our Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) in getting an approval.

I have not found the need for isolating vibrations, but I have found that the strobes can occasionally cause flicker on the image.  The GoPro adhesive backing has been left in place without peeling off the protecting layer, so in effect it does have a dampened connection.

I would not use the suction mount, because once you get to altitude the reduction in atmospheric pressure means there is less differential force to hold it in place.  I have a suction mount inside the cockpit that I can almost guarantee will fall off at 8,500'.  Apart from the loss of the GoPro, imagine if it fell off over a populated area, hurt somebody and was traced back to the owner from the video content (assuming the SD card was undamaged).

Fair enough. I had not thought about the pressure differential and that may have been one of the reasons why I lost the camera... (in addition to the rain).