Straight Valve Stem Tubes or Angled Stem Tubes

ELT

Hi,

I need education on tire tubes.  Last week I noted the left main tire on my E was low. When I tried to air it the stem partiallyseparated from the tube. A local mechanic put on a "straight valve stem tube".  I did not know there were different tubes.  Which is correct?

thanks for any information

Eddie 

Well, the straight ones are moulded to the tube and come straight out of the wheel. Any pressure put on them while airing them up is straight down. The ones with the angled stem are metal fittings clamped to the tube and every time you put pressure on them while filling you put some side load on the tube.

Nothing to get excited about one way or the other. If somebody gave me an angled stem tube for free I would have no problem using it.

Any tube that fails in a few months was probably installed wrong.

The stems failed on the tires and tubes that were installed before I bought the plane and I flew the plane close to 100hrs per year for two years before they failed. They just failed close to each other. The good thing they fialed at my home airport so the flat tire was noticed in the preflgiht.

I recently installed new tires and tubes on my '62 M20C and found the straight stems that Spruce sent me are just long enough to require bending them over drastically to fill and get the cap on and off. I think the bent stem would work better in my circumstance. Bending the straight molded stem will eventually take its toll, as it ages. The threaded on bent stem on the other hand has its drawbacks as well if you get to forceful with the air chuck. As always, failure will come at the least opportune time, so just be gentle.

Up until the last two years, my Mooneys have always been a work horse. Back in the 80s For 4 years straight I put over 450 hours a year on it. It never failed to start and take me where I needed to go. Most of the time it was a little ugly from grease, oil and dirt, but very reliable.

Jim R you must have magic tubes, I've always had to air up the tires at least once a month. Maybe I should clean the schrader valves before I put them back in?

• 9 years later...

Hi All, I have a pilot report on valve stems. Recently had a slow leak on my 5x5, 6 ply nose tire on a M20C. It has a wheel cover and has had bent tubes installed in the past. Tube removed was an aero classic leakguard (GL-5076B) with a 90 degree bent stem. I was replacing with a Michelin airstop (097-908-0, TR67-A) also a bent stem.  Funny thing was when all back together, the valve stem with its cap sticks out too far and prevents the wheel cover from being reinstalled.  I was able to remove the vale stem cap and get the cover back on as a temporary solution until I can get a replacement aero classic tube (knowing it will fit).  Must be some small difference in the Michelin stem design.  oh well, more owner basic maintenance tire change practice.  

Nose tire tube repairOld aero classic tubenew airstop tube

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Interesting adaptation to your jack, is that a commercially available, I see a label on it.

The label is from Bogert Aviation.  They make all kinds of fun stuff. 

https://bogertaviation.com/collections/bottle-jack-extensions-ram-adapters

• Like 1

yes @Pasturepilot has the ID spot on. its very handy, can use on any standard bottle jack for tire changes on main or nose; I have only used for lifting of 1 wheel at a time for wheel maintenance tasks and found stability as being very good and very quick setup. Just watch winds and make sure clam/mild if working on a ramp and have the other wheels chocked. Be safe.

k