Mooney 20F Side Window Mod

Sorry, I was able to work with my mechanic without any letter because I had the official Mooney parts and he accepted that the 1976 was only a minor change from my 1975. He did a log book entry with the Mooney part numbers. N601RX might still have the letter, I would like a copy just to help others if we can get a copy.

I can help with reccomndations if you get your mechanic to agree. I learned a great deal in the process that would help others do it better and easier.

Any help or pointers would be great.....at this point the old windows are out and we where going on the assumption that the mod was not going to be problem the "j" windows and panels where ordered and on hand ....

Any help or pointers would be great.....at this point the old windows are out and we where going on the assumption that the mod was not going to be problem the "j" windows and panels where ordered and on hand ....

Did you find Tim's thread. I think he posted pictures throughout the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few notes, hopefully it is not too late to help you.

1. The windows for the F are not attached the same way as the J, so you don't just order a set of J windows.  I talked to GLA and they made the widows larger by about 1/4 if I remember correctly.

2.  I used 1/4" thick windows on all the side windows, If I was doing it again I would go with 3/16" for all the side windows and 1/4" for the windshield.  The 1/4" feel massive after pulling out the 1/8" stock windows and they are harder to fit because of the thickness and lack of bendability on installation.

3. The Mooney stringer parts are not too hard to install but take time and care.  You can see a few photos in my gallery and thread on the process.  I would make sure that your mechanic uses flush rivets.  My 75 F has mostly non-flush rivets on the fuselage, so my mechanic used that to match but as a typical efficiency driven Mooney pilot I wish he had used the flush instead.

4. Be careful to leave extra headliner material as you cut back the insulation to make room for the stingers.  You will need the extra to lap over the stinger and tuck under the window trim covers.

5. If you are not familiar with fiberglass work let me know when you get ready to change the window trim.  I tried to document the process but for someone not familiar with glass you may have more questions.  It is a lot of "art" to shape it so it looks like the center column was never there.

Tim

• Like 1

A few notes, hopefully it is not too late to help you.

1. The windows for the F are not attached the same way as the J, so you don't just order a set of J windows.  I talked to GLA and they made the widows larger by about 1/4 if I remember correctly.

2.  I used 1/4" thick windows on all the side windows, If I was doing it again I would go with 3/16" for all the side windows and 1/4" for the windshield.  The 1/4" feel massive after pulling out the 1/8" stock windows and they are harder to fit because of the thickness and lack of bendability on installation.

3. The Mooney stringer parts are not too hard to install but take time and care.  You can see a few photos in my gallery and thread on the process.  I would make sure that your mechanic uses flush rivets.  My 75 F has mostly non-flush rivets on the fuselage, so my mechanic used that to match but as a typical efficiency driven Mooney pilot I wish he had used the flush instead.

4. Be careful to leave extra headliner material as you cut back the insulation to make room for the stingers.  You will need the extra to lap over the stinger and tuck under the window trim covers.

5. If you are not familiar with fiberglass work let me know when you get ready to change the window trim.  I tried to document the process but for someone not familiar with glass you may have more questions.  It is a lot of "art" to shape it so it looks like the center column was never there.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to post the details........it's too late in a sense that we have window and New "J" Inside panels ordered and paid for......as for the thickness of the windows i have to check what we have.......I'll post some pics a soon as figure out how...LOL....

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

@davidnz Sorry to necropost on this thread - I'm trying to find your installation gallery from when you did this?  I'm in the process of doing this mod myself, pulled the windows today, and my I/A is trying to figure out the best way to position the stringers.

33 minutes ago, hmasing said:

@davidnz Sorry to necropost on this thread - I'm trying to find your installation gallery from when you did this?  I'm in the process of doing this mod myself, pulled the windows today, and my I/A is trying to figure out the best way to position the stringers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2015 at 5:53 AM, davidnz said:

Wonder if anyone would kind to forward me a copy of the letter from Mooney as my m20f is in Annual and the windows are in need of replacement and we would like to go with the single glass...the shop is willing to do the upgrade with the letter....

thanks..

david@nazem.net

@davidnz

@TTaylor

@N601RX

Me too please.  Can you email the letter?

On 4/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, FlyingFool said:

Did anyone every get a copy of this letter?  If so would you please share or add to the downloads section. I would love to get my hands on it just in case I pull the trigger on this one.

Thanks,

FF

Fwiw, I just told my a&p about the latter F’s having the single window, that there was a letter from Mooney, and that I had the stringers from Mooney that I needed and we did the mod with a logbook entry. 

I love what it does for the looks and rear seat view   

F6D175DA-C7EA-4760-A9AB-411AEB6E4351.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/2/2021 at 8:39 AM, Browncbr1 said:

Someone just post the letter here for the community; future visitors.  ???

This is what I have - sorry it's only an image.  I'm not in any of these emails, but it was fine for my A&P

1282782406_MooneyRearWindowE-Mail.thumb.png.7672c11e72a0e78fb1b4d282fe1cc820.png

• Thanks 2

On 4/2/2021 at 5:39 AM, Browncbr1 said:

Someone just post the letter here for the community; future visitors.  ???

I pasted the letter into a .pdf and put it in the Engines folder in the downloads page.  It’s fuzzy, but readable.  

We should have an airframe mx section in the downloads, along with the engines section.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2015 at 9:12 AM, davidnz said:

I made that mistake. The pilot windows opening on the j is further forward and now my pilot window doesn’t open all the way. My f came from the factory with the j style 2 side windows. 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:40 AM, RobertGary1 said:

The pilot windows opening on the j is further forward and now my pilot window doesn’t open all the way.

I'm trying to visualize this - the pilot window "opens"?