Shoulder Harness Upgrade

I didn't want the inertia reels at first, but the price differential wasn't that great so I got them.

Boy, am I glad I did. I prefer the IR over the fixed by about 2:1. So comfortable I leave them on all flight (unless I have to get up to use the lav).

Wife really likes them, too. She feels more like she's sitting in a modern vehicle and not a 60's vintage VW.

I have completed all the engineering efforts to add the M20J and the remaining M20K. Right now it is about assets internally at the company. Last year I was unable to secure assets for the STC development, but I am pushing hard this year. I'll let you know if I get it pushed through.

R

Hi Richard,

Is this effort still alive?  Is there an STC install for your airbags in my airplane in my future?

Erik

I was wondering if  I am one of the few where  the  lap belt/shoudler latch  comes  undone on occasion usually on downwind to base turn  as I am lower manual gear. My hand brush release latch. never had problem when it was just a lap belt.

Any pointers or suggestions?`

Thanks,

James

'67C

Can you reach the fuel selector just by loosening it or do you have to unclip it?

Also which ones do you have? LASAR or Alpha etc?

I have the Alpha fixed shoulder harnesses and getting to the fuel selector is very easy.  Fixed harness has a black "loosen" strap.  

1. Fuel pump on

2. Confirm fuel flow on the gauge

3. Loosen the strap

4. Reach for the fuel selector

5. Confirm its orientation is as expected

6. Change the orientation making sure not to stop at "stop"

7. Confirm fuel flow on the gauge (while you are down there - in case you have to quickly switch back)

8. Tighten the shoulder harness

9. Fuel pump off

Hi!  I saw something fly by (pun intended!) about the push button releases as on option for our belts.  All of our Mooney Belts - fronts and rears - are stocked in the push button style.  We moved to that as soon as they were available to avoid the exact situation with the j-bar and the unintentional release of the traditional tear drop style.   I can order the tear drops if someone really wants them (don't have a j-bar, like the original look...) - but as far as day to day from inventory shipments they are all push button style!

• Like 1

Paula:

I have the older clip style that was installed after market for my M20E.  Are you saying that you can send me the short straps with the push button fittings to replace the ones I have now?

What would the price be?

Paula:

I have the older clip style that was installed after market for my M20E.  Are you saying that you can send me the short straps with the push button fittings to replace the ones I have now?

What would the price be?

Ned,

unfortunately the belts are certified as a set and that certification includes the specific brand and style of hardware, that means we can not legally mix and match hardware or even have the end rewebbed longer for a better fit. I found this out when I bought a nice set of belts with retractable harnesses for my Mooney, they worked great except for being a little low on the buckle side. I tried several repair stations and even amsafe the makers of the belt to try to get it lengthened 4 inches but was told that it was a deviation from the approved specs and they wouldn't do it.

brian 

Ned - Brian is correct. 

The push button belts are an entirely different animal than what you have.   Besides being a completely seperate drawing (authorization), the connector end (tongue) is completely different, and wouldn't connect with the push button mechanism.  You would need an entirely new set.

Hi Steve - No, unfortunately it wouldn't.  The whole thing would need to be replaced.  The push button style is a whole different deal.   Can't mix and match.

MOONEY REPLACEMENTS/UPGRADES - this link will take you right to our webpage;

New Shoulder Harness (with reel if installing Inertial Reel Style), Lap Belt and all new assemblies with push button releases; 

$289.00 per seat for Fixed Strap Style

$389.00 per seat for Inertial Reel Style. 

I try to keep Black, Gray and Fawn on the shelf ready to go. 

Mooney M20A thru M20G Models (and some early J models) will need the Minor Change Kit which is $35.00 and has enough hardware for 2 front seats, so only 1 is required. 

Rear Seat Lap Belts are $85.00 per seat (Black, Gray and Fawn stock colors).    We can order 3 point Diagonal Fixed Straps for the rears if you have existing attachment points back there.  These are $289.00 per seat.  We do not stock these, so 3 week lead to shipment is required.

• 4 months later...

You have to remove the seats to install the Lap belts, but it's easy to do. The bolt through the seat roller secures the strap. Much better than Cherokees etc where moving the seat forward jams because the belts get tight. On those the belt secures to the floor.

I found my lap belts a little long on the buckle side, but by the time I discovered it we had used them a bit and they really weren't returnable.

I have Fawn on the shelf in both the Fixed Strap and Inertial Reel Styles.

Paula:

I ordered the newer push-button latch ones today (fixed strap) to replace my older (flip handle ones that open when the Johnson bar comes up) ones and have asked that they be drop-shipped to Clarence in preparation for my annual after I get back from Laos.

This OK?

I have the hardware to install the shoulder belts in an E model.  The parts consist of a screw clamp which goes around the structural tube and on it there is a place to screw the shoulder belts into.  I can part with them cheap as I will never use them.  I welded on the Mooney part used on the new airplanes.  I'll look and see what condition they are in - perhaps the first $25.00 gets them.

John Breda

I have the AMSAFE belts and I got the pair for about $100 when a Mooney got parted out.

The most GAWD AWFUL INSTALL of my life. Others have noted this. Also, one of the most inane clamping systems ever conceived of.

The AMSAFE are very easy to loosen to allow greater reach for things like the fuel selector since they have a tab sewn in, ostensibly for the purpose. That said, I have a PVC pipe fuel selector gizmo to ease that task.

The Johnson Bar used to pop the buckle off on landing, very un-nerving. Then one day I noticed that the buckle had moved to the middle of my lap and was no longer an issue. I wonder if it was the seven extra  gallons of AVGAS that I added to my W&B calculations that did it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ask again but my seat belt location is bugging me. My seat belts are attached to the middle of the headliner?? Any info on why they did that or of any of you have ever seen that before?? Thanks Troy

Expect the logic to follow something like this...

The buckle is now away from where the landing gear Jbar travels...

If your buckles are at the center of the cockpit, they have an annoying probability of un latching while you are putting the gear down...

Best regards,

-a-