Did you settle for Mooney or dream come true?

201er

How do you feel about having a Mooney  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about having a Mooney?

• Mooney meets or exceeds my expectations and mission beautifully
    • I am thrilled with Mooney but settled on the specifica model
    • It's the best I can do at the moment but would upgrade given a chance
    • Really wanted somthing else but settled on a Mooney

This poll is closed to new votes

Based on another topic about folks second choice plane, I was wondering if Mooney is their first choice or something they were forced to settle with? Did you get a Mooney because it's the best plane you'd hoped for? Or did you settle for it as a secondary choice because you couldn't afford/find something that you were more interested in.

Also within the models of Mooneys how do you feel with one you selected? I'm especially curious about the vintage drivers in that regard. Any regrets not getting a different model or all together different brand?

I flew a Mooney years ago with a friend, was always a Cessna trained and raised pilot. I didn't think there was any other airplane for the type flying I do.

I've said it before and it's worth repeating. I was privilaged to fly Betty Jane , P51C when the Collings Foundation came through. I knew the second I took the stick something I had experienced years ago , a superiorly crafted piece of machinery. I was detemined to get a Mooney. If a Mooney had a tail wheel , and a stick I would simply own a P51 that burns 10 GPH instead of 60 GPH. :)

post-7876-0-62311000-1357356244_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-27988900-1357356263_thumb.jp

post-7876-0-54095000-1357356299_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Mooney is specific enough of an aircraft as a make that it would be hard to imagine "settling" for any one of their models!!! I suppose if I had FU money, I'd have a Gulfstream G650 for long range travel, a Pilatus PC12 for shorter range or unimproved but longer strips and a Huskey or C185 for backcountry flying. I'm on a military salary, I struggle to keep my J airborne... But it's a worthy struggle!

• Like 1

I love my Mooney and do not plan to sell it even though I started that other thread.  The Mooney takes care of 90+% of my mission and is the primary aircraft I plan to own in the near future.  Should my mission change, the aircraft may change.

I do not plan to sell my Missile.  In the future I may have a smaller taildragger at some point, maybe a pressurized cabin class aircraft share at some point, but my Mooney will be mine as long as it makes sense to keep her.  My first Mooney I knew was a 4-10 year hold - I sold after three years and upgraded to the Missile. 

It's not feasible to have a P-51 for your daily flyer, a turboprop twin for a $1200 hamburger run, or a C-150 for long cross countries with multiple people and bags.  The Mooney fits the bill PERFECTLY for now, and in the future.

Nice idea with the post Mike!

-Seth

Very fortunate to have my Mooney. I was in the right place at the right time. Great for the mission. But, I'm not married to her, I'm just having a great affair with her for now. For me the love affair is about FLYING, not the type airplane. I've got many years of flying left ahead and the mission, as well as my priorities, may change. I can't trade in my wife for a newer model, but if my love affair w/ 231RX begins to sour I'll happily pass her off to another worthy pilot. I'm not a one-plane-for-life guy. Too much left to experience.

My first plane was a Piper Warrior, probably because I had not discovered a Mooney yet. Once I decided I had to have a Mooney, I did have to settle for a 68 C model. 2 F models later I now have a 201.........but now I am having an itch for a Missile. I will probably have this 201 for awhile and keep dreaming of a Pilatus.

To do justice to your question involves telling a little of my life story. I learnt to fly a long time ago (1977), but when I started up my business (fortunately successful) it kept me too busy to do anything much else. For many years I managed to keep my licence and medical current, but that was all. The situation changed when in 1996, two business associates that I admired passed away in quick succession - one from a heart attack at 52 and the other by his own hand.

The shock of losing these friends compelled me to reevaluate my life, values and priorities, and I became determined to pay a lot more attention to people I cared about, do a lot more flying which meant buying my own aircraft, and set a plan to exit my business and retire within 5 years (managed to do all three!)

Now I can talk about why I chose a Mooney.

Most of my (320) hours were on Grumman Tigers, but I'd flow both the Mooney M20F and Rockwell 114 and liked both, and decided it had to be low wing, 4 seat, retractable and CS prop. I managed to locate a couple of likely aircraft for sale, and did a quick inspection of both.

This is the best part:

I was really concerned my wife would veto the idea, so I took her to see them both, got her to sit in them etc. and instead of asking could I, I asked her which one she preferred. Rather than saying we couldn't afford our own aircraft, she picked the Mooney (as I'd hoped she would) and I committed before she could change her mind. That was in 1996, and M20E 21-1165 was a great airplane that would TAS at 145 KTS 10 USGPH. The only downside - operating here in Australia the range was somewhat of a problem because of refuelling locations.

Moving on, my wife was a very enthusiastic passenger, and after a few prosperous years in business I was able to convince her that an Ovation might be a good idea, and so in 2000 I went to Orlando FL and bought N60FW (29-0156) with about 60 TTIS (1200 TTIS when I sold it in 2006) from Showalter Flying Service, and it was flown to Australia via Hilo, Kiribati to Brisbane the Adelaide, where it became VH-OVN. At that time there were only 2 other Ovations on the Australian register - now there are 12 others.

The Ovation would have to be the best engine/airframe combination ever produced, and while fuel use went up, so did the speed and effective range. It was easy to plan a flight of 900-1000 NM across the Australian Outback without the need for intermediate and remote area fuel stops where prices at say Birdsville in Queensland are above $3.00/litre - that's over $10.00 per USG. Another important thing is the IO-550G is normally aspirated meaning there is no turbo to worry about, but it still will reach FL200 without a lot of difficulty, in fact I managed FL220 on one occasion.

Now I have 29-0363 (since 2006), having bought it through Richard Simile of Premier with 82 TTIS (now 705 TTIS). It was also flow across the Pacific in ferry configuration. Strangely, the feel of the controls in the newer Ovation are much lighter than the earlier one, not that I minded either, but initially I over controlled until I adjusted.

I believe the Hartzell prop is an improvement on the McCauley fitted to the earlier versions. I am impressed with the Continental IO-550G for performance and reliability, and the only problem I've ever had since 2000 was a leaking exhaust valve needed to be re-seated.

Would I buy another Ovation if MAC were still making them? Yes - in a heartbeat!

I trained in cessna's, but liked low wing. I flew a piper cherokee and was shopping for a piper 180 or a grumman tiger. Had a chance to get my complex with a Marine Officer my wife worked with. I got my complex in his 81 M20J. After flying her I was determined to get a mooney. I would not pass the oppurtunity to fly other planes but I am quite happy with my mooney at this time.

I have owned and flown many aircraft. Every one of them has been great, and every one of them has been a compromise in one way or another. There is no such thing as one size fits all. For my current needs, my Mooney is pretty close to a perfect match. Nothing out there I would rather have.

Based on another topic about folks second choice plane, I was wondering if Mooney is their first choice or something they were forced to settle with? Did you get a Mooney because it's the best plane you'd hoped for? Or did you settle for it as a secondary choice because you couldn't afford/find something that you were more interested in.

Also within the models of Mooneys how do you feel with one you selected? I'm especially curious about the vintage drivers in that regard. Any regrets not getting a different model or all together different brand?

Dream.

Every time as I walk away from the hangar as the door closes - I look back dreamily and I am still just surprised and tickled that the beautiful airplane in there is MINE!  And when I take the runway each time, with the big see through circle prop in front of me spinning and look down the runway which is just a half mile road to nowhere since that's all I'm going to need, then firewall - engine roars and I catapult down the runway and before much of it is used up I got and climbing ... like a rocket.

Actually I have not met an airplane I don't like - but I loooove N10933.

• Like 3

Based on http://mooneyspace.com/topic/8144-what-if-al-mooney-never-made-the-m20'>another topic about folks second choice plane, I was wondering if Mooney is their first choice or something they were forced to settle with? Did you get a Mooney because it's the best plane you'd hoped for? Or did you settle for it as a secondary choice because you couldn't afford/find something that you were more interested in.   Also within the models of Mooneys how do you feel with one you selected? I'm especially curious about the vintage drivers in that regard. Any regrets not getting a different model or all together different brand?
As a teenager in the late 70's I was blown away by the 201. When it came time to buy into a SEL I knew it should be a Mooney. I was lucky to have a syndicate with a 20C on the field. It was a good start, but the limitations of the B/C were very clear, especially in the west. When we wrote the C off with spar corrosion I knew I would be looking for an other Mooney soon. I would love a 201, but it was just a little out of my budget. The 20F was the ideal plane at this point (increased hp and cabin room), with the advantage that it can be upgraded to nearly a 201 over time. So did I settle? Yes. But not by much, and with a plan to get to the 201 eventually. After 21 hours in the 20F I can say I am very happy.

I owned a Cherokee 140 as a "starter airplane" to see if I liked ownership. After a few years I knew I want more speed and capability. I was looking at Arrows when a good friend said I should really look at a Mooney. To be completely honest, they were not on my list. Maybe I didn't get the backwards tail. But then when I started to research them, I fell in love. I'm still amazed at all the things they do so well and so efficiently. I've taken my C from coast to coast and back, and everywhere in between. For a while I thought I wanted to move into a twin so I started renting a Piper Aztec on a regular basis. Then I flew the Aztec from New Jersey to California and back. It did it in almost exactly the same amount of time as my C and burned almost 3 times the fuel. I never again rented the Aztec and apologized to mine for forsaking her. (That being said, I have been Jonesing for a 252 recently. Shhhh, don't tell anybody.)

I still have my cherokee. It hauled the family around the country for years.  Its now my wifes plane. :) ...but she'd still love a 6/lance

I got my baby, and after much debate over a yak-18t, I settled on logic and got the plane of my dreams....every reason we love a mooney is dead on truth.(and I can afford to keep my cherokee, and still look at getting an acro......)

I look back on the guys who have "triplexxx hours" and have done this and that, and told me to avoid the "dr/lawyer killer". I dont remember the names, but remember they always seemed to love 210s, or such. They seem to have been born into a deeper gas pump than I, and were apparently breathing the fumes. :)

In all honesty, id fly whatever, and am lucky enough to have a mooney....yet aspen this, mod that...............what dreams are made of.

My first plane was an M20C, I had piloted Cessna and Piper aircraft, got a ride in the right seat of a Mooney and was hooked.  The second plane was a 201, met all my mission requirements until I moved west of the Rockies, now I have a 231...meets my mission requirements, would have liked to have an Encore, but the dollars were right and so was the plane when I found my fast flying, high climbing 231.  I thought I had settled, but I was wrong...so I am 3 for 3, all of my Mooneys have been the right plane at the right time for me.

I still have my cherokee. It hauled the family around the country for years.  Its now my wifes plane. :) ...but she'd still love a 6/lance

I got my baby, and after much debate over a yak-18t, I settled on logic and got the plane of my dreams....every reason we love a mooney is dead on truth.(and I can afford to keep my cherokee, and still look at getting an acro......)

I'm curious why you don't merge your cherokee and m20c into one... a 201? In terms of room, hauling capacity, range, fuel burn, and pretty much anything I can think of (not even counting speed), the 201 beats the cherokee. Unless of course you two fly both planes simultaneously, then go for it!

My 201 is everything I'd had heard it would be and then some, and I've put more money in it than I should of for both creature comforts as well as modernization. If I were to move to another aircraft it would be towards more utilization to fit my needs. Iceing protection, a turbo and even though it's only myself 90% of the time maybe more room. 

I've spend a lot of money to get this plane to were I want it and it's flying great and is very dependable (fingers crossed). How can you complain about getting 160 knts @ 10+/- GPH and doing it with comfort and style..  

If I were to pick my next plane it would probably be a 252, Bravo or a Beech F model. Of course thats considering a larger budget. 

Of all the realistically priced, certified airplanes out there, the Mooney is the clear choice for me. I considered a Grumman Tiger and a Piper Arrow, but not for very long. After researching Mooneys I wanted a 201 and still would probably like to have that plane, but it was outside the budget once I considered the equipment I wanted in it. So, I shopped for an E as that would suit me fine and very nearly bought an '69, but the pre buy turned up a defect the seller and I couldn't reconcile. In the end I ended up with an F and suits me fine. It's part way to an J and has some charming features like the retractable step and manual flaps. It also has better forward visibility than a J.

I doubt I will trade my Mooney for another Mooney, though you never know. I am more likely to trade my Mooney for either a Lancair 360/Legacy, or a Glasair. Either of these two planes would fit my mission even better at lower costs. However, I am concerned about their relative margin of safety compared to the Mooney. Most likely, I will be keeping my F for many years, but if costs keep going up, I may need to consider something cheaper.

And if we're dreaming, I'd like to have a TMB 850 and Leza Air Cam.

After having sampled some 40 or 50 types of airplanes working for a dealer, the 201 stood out. There were many that would go faster but burned much more fuel.  The 201 seemed to me to be the best balance of a modern design, efficient travel, reasonable cost, and payload/interior size.  In fact, the fuel efficiency was better than we planned when shopping. We planned on 10 GPH and 150 KTAS, we have averaged 9.0 GPH in two years.

The only thing I don't like about the 201 is the difficulty to work on things in enclosed spaces, parts availibility, delicate Lycoming cam, and the climb rate.  One more thing, is ours is a 54.7 gallon airplane and I really long for the 64 gallons.

Grumman had short range, ran hot, was short on payload

Warrior was too slow for travelling and the NMPG was only about 12-13.

Bonanza cost 30% more a year to own given our typical usage. Fuel and parts, mostly.

210 was a load hauler but a gas hog and difficult to see out of, tall panel and low windows. Too much airplane.

Tomahawk was too small and too slow, and they were all beat to hell.

If gas were cheaper I could see a V-tail or A36 Bonanza as a reasonable airplane to own as well. Not as efficient, but significantly faster, more room, and a higher level of fit, finish, and equipment quality. I think many owners have traded up to a Bonanza from a Mooney, I dont know of any that did the opposite.