New panel in N2652W

It's finally time to install the engine monitor that I purchased at Oshkosh this year and do the field approval on the new 6 pack instrument cluster. The left side panel was done by a previous owner and the right side desperately needed a redo.

I always found myself leaning over a bit to see the RPM and manifold pressure, so I put an angle in the panel for these instruments to turn them towards me a bit. The new 6 pack cluster is just a little bigger than the original so I moved it and put the engine monitor in it's place. It's probably not the best arrangement, but is a good compromise with what equipment is there. Just a little more fitting to do and it will be ready for final installation.

David Staffeldt

post-7497-0-67032800-1357081351_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-11783500-1357081421_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-70893200-1357081446_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The 6 pack cluster is from Mitchell instruments. I don't anticipate any problems with the field approval as I ran it through my FSDO before I purchased the instruments. The full cluster is right around $750. I purchased the Insight Avionics G1 and added carb temp. It's a very affordable unit (under $1000 at Oshkosh) and has the essentials. I'll have less than $2000 in an engine monitor and new 6 pack gauges. I plan to make the field approval paperwork and a parts list available to anyone who requests it. This makes an affordable upgrade to the panel of our older Mooneys.

David

Mcstealth :)

• Like 2

Here's a picture of the completed panel. I'll start installing the wiring for the new 6 pack cluster and engine monitor before I install the panel. So much easier to do than laying on my back looking up for hours. I plan on making the left side panel match.

David

post-7497-0-77236600-1357513313_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It depends on how much you want to spend.  If you want a turnkey job, and cost is not an issue take it to an avionics shop. Expect at least $80hr.  If you want to do as cheaply as possible, go talk to your friendly A&P and see how much of it he will agree to let you do. I think I ended up with around $30 in materials and several hrs of my time when I did mine. I will say it is time consuming fitting everything.  If you want a copy of the CAD files I cut mine from pm me your e-mail address.

• 4 weeks later...

Panel installation in progress. Most of the new sensors have been installed and the wiring will begin soon. I've decided to use a connector similar to the original for the new 6 pack cluster. To me it's just as easy as the original and will make maintenance easier if I have to remove the cluster for some other work. I hope to be finished in a couple of weeks and turn on power!

post-7497-0-22009500-1360202088_thumb.jp

I can't wait either. It's been down for too long and it's time to do some flying. I won't be painting the panel as that's a carbon fiber vinyl that I applied. I really don't want to take the left side panel apart, but I want both sides the same, so I'm going to do it too and I hope I don't regret it.

David

• 1 month later...

Well, February has come and gone, March is almost over and still an unfinished panel. WIth the threat of good weather, I'm spending my lunch time working on the panel. Here's a couple of pictures of the almost assembled panel and the hookups for the new 6 pack instrument cluster. I hope to have those who are interested in the 6 pack cluster a copy of my field approval soon.

David

post-7497-0-18965500-1364435540_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-26097400-1364435597_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-91863700-1364435656_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...
On January 14, 2013 at 7:20 AM, N601RX said:

It depends on how much you want to spend.  If you want a turnkey job, and cost is not an issue take it to an avionics shop. Expect at least $80hr.  If you want to do as cheaply as possible, go talk to your friendly A&P and see how much of it he will agree to let you do. I think I ended up with around $30 in materials and several hrs of my time when I did mine. I will say it is time consuming fitting everything.  If you want a copy of the CAD files I cut mine from pm me your e-mail address.

How dissimilar are the E and C? Could a "C" CAD file be reused for an E?

1) The panels for the C changed just about every other year.

2)  The E came into existence a couple of years after the C.

3) The differences you might see are larger year to year than between the two airframe models... the shotgun blast layout didn't stabilize into the six-pack for years...

4) Either way, see what @Chocks has to offer for the six pack layout.

5) The cage structure for the C and E is probably identical.  Verify prior to ordering...

Pp thoughts only. Not an instrument panel guy.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 1/1/2013 at 4:25 PM, Sabremech said:

The 6 pack cluster is from Mitchell instruments. I don't anticipate any problems with the field approval as I ran it through my FSDO before I purchased the instruments. The full cluster is right around $750. I purchased the Insight Avionics G1 and added carb temp. It's a very affordable unit (under $1000 at Oshkosh) and has the essentials. I'll have less than $2000 in an engine monitor and new 6 pack gauges. I plan to make the field approval paperwork and a parts list available to anyone who requests it. This makes an affordable upgrade to the panel of our older Mooneys.

David

Mcstealth :)

It must be the proximity to Oshcosh..our calif FSDO haven't ok ed a field approval for 10 years!

This is the panel [mention=14160]"Chocks"[/mention] has laid out, cut, prep'd, and painted for my 252. Tomorrow the labels get laser etched into the panel and then into the plane. 
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.62de8f2d2d1f2e81e291462887a49ecf.jpg

I think the race is on! Mine is getting all new panels and should be getting ready for paint soon. You change the color? After looking at all the color palettes, I decided to keep it black.

c0738b886c0a19cb417bb8aad0a1dbba.jpg

This is a panel in a Turbo Arrow the shop finished up before mine.

ce18b5b4e725fa09c9b7f079061ce2d5.jpg

It is discouraging to see your baby in pieces, isn't it ?

3199d4917817ee064485e7e72c8a6deb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1