69-77 engine control quadrant

I have had both.

I currently have the levers and wish I had the push pull controls.

The levers eat up a lot of leg room. I think they make the cabin seem more cramped.

I think I can adjust the push pull controls more accurately.

You can install vernier push pull controls, which makes mixture setting much more accurate.

besides, changing them out will be a giant PITA!

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

push pull controls are easier for fine adjustments, My 1st plane had levers (warrior) My next (m20f) and current one (m20s) has push pull. Mooney went from push pull to lever and then back to push pull. A wise decision in my opinion.

The best is whatever aircraft I am flying at the time. Get me in the air, and I appreciate push pull or throttle quadrant, high or low wing, fast or slow, single or multi engine, etc. etc. etc.

However, I will admit that I have flown some aircraft with push pull controls that were better than others, eg sticky or rough, and I have flown some that were like fine precision controls should be. Same with throttle quadrants. If the controls are good and smooth to allow precision control without a lot of fuss (and distraction from your flying), that is what is most important to me.

• Like 1

It is possible with the correct parts and a lot of effort. I'm going to make the opposite conversion sometime in the first half of 2013, and will happily sell you a full throttle quadrant, console, and engine controls if you'd like to convert yours! You'll need a 337 field approval, but if you're using all Mooney parts it should be easy to get.

• 5 years later...
On 12/14/2012 at 10:17 AM, KSMooniac said:

It is possible with the correct parts and a lot of effort. I'm going to make the opposite conversion sometime in the first half of 2013, and will happily sell you a full throttle quadrant, console, and engine controls if you'd like to convert yours! You'll need a 337 field approval, but if you're using all Mooney parts it should be easy to get.

Did you end up doing this? Interested...

Did you end up doing this? Interested...
I did make the conversion. I'm glad I did it, but it was a metric crapton of effort. I had my salvage plane to scavenge for parts and patterns, which made it possible. It would have been even more difficult if I just had a pile of parts and the parts manual. I didn't log my hours, but I estimate it was in the neighborhood of 150 hours of labor. Much of that in difficult contortions to replace the nose wheel well pieces up by the firewall... Everything between the instrument panel and the floor was swapped. To make it more difficult, the 77 nose wheel opening is larger than the 78+ openings, so I had to make a doubler to shrink the opening slightly to fit the newer nose wheel well parts. Did I mention this was a ton of work?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I love the quadrant. I love being able to adjust throttle, mix, prop without moving my hand from one to the other. Just like you move 2 throttles at the same time in a twin you can move prop and throttle together. I don't go rich on landing because for go around its so trivial to move them all forward at the same time.

-Robert