Battery, When to buy?

Cabanaboy

IMHO a battery should be replaced when you note a difference in the cranking speed of the engine, or you come out one morning and it won't turn the engine over. Naturally you have to have a point of reference to know about cranking speed. When I bought my plane, it was always hard to start. Eventually the battery completely died. When I replaced it, the cranking speed was substantially better. I was mad at myself for not changing sooner, but I just didn't know.

• Like 1

When is best time to buy a new battery, I think mine is 2 years old. Should i buy a new one or wait till she won't start?

Thoughts?

I am thinking about getting a Concorde RG24-15

mine had to be replaced after 2 years. My prop starting getting sluggish and would hang up sometimes. I ended up going with a gel battery ($230) last year. I've kept this one hooked to a battery tender.

While the plane still cranked I could tell it was getting time. I noticed there was a sharpie date marked on top dated 8/07. I just replaced it last week with a sealed Concorde, $235 shipped. The old lasted just a tad over 5 yrs, not bad..

My Concorde battery was very good for ~5 years. I kept if for 7 years, but by the end it only had ~5 - 10 seconds of cranking capacity. (Luckily, "C" models start very easily.) The last time I was at Portland International (PDX), it died on the ramp. Very embarassing hand-propping my plane in the rain, parked next to all those jets, with their flight crews watching me from inside FlightCraft. BTW, I have a SkyTec starter, which spins the engine a lot faster than stock. With the standard starter, I would have replaced the battery a lot sooner.

(h)(1) In the event of a complete loss of the primary electrical power generating system, the battery must be capable of providing electrical power to those loads that are essential to continued safe flight and landing for:

(i) At least 30 minutes for airplanes that are certificated with a maximum altitude of 25,000 feet or less; and

(ii) At least 60 minutes for airplanes that are certificated with a maximum altitude over 25,000 feet.

(2) The time period includes the time to recognize the loss of generated power and to take appropriate load shedding action.

The FAA has been requiring compliance with this lately, meaning that a capacity test is required at annual.

If the battery won't pass the test then you need a new one.

• Like 3

The FAA has been requiring compliance with this lately, meaning that a capacity test is required at annual.

The problem is that this is a certification requirement (and one for FAR 23 certification, which isn't applicable to many of our Mooneys anyway), not an operational requirement. However, the battery manufacturers also recommend a periodic capacity test, and that the battery be replaced when it is at less than 85% of its specified capacity.

Yes, you are right, it is not clear cut. It depends on who is interperating the rules.

I think some shops are just trying to sell capacity tests and batteries.

I flew every day for over 20 years as a commuter, and I would usually get 5 to 7 years out of a battery. For the last two years I've had a different job and only fly about 25 hours a year. I'll see if this shortens the life of the battery.

There are actions, I think, that can and will promote good battery health and longevity. Such as monitoring closely bus voltage and adjusting as necessary to keep it tight to within a few tenths of 14 or 28 volts. And utilizing a battery minder type of smart charger to keep it charged. But a capacity test at annual is imo the determining factor weather to change battery or not. If it has <85% of rated capacity (this is Concord's recommendation if irc) )replacement should be considered. I keep mine on a battery minder plugged in year round when my airplane is in the hangar.

• 7 months later...

Concorde RG 24M...

Are there any Oshkosh specials this week on this $500 block of lead?

In three years, I have used 2 Gill batteries. Both have died of having one weak cell. The gill battery charger has been unable to save them.

Let me know if you are aware of any Spruce or similar offers...

Best regards,

-a-

I had a gill 35 last for 7 yrs, but I have also seen them fail after only 3 yrs. part of it is how the battery is maintained, the other part is just the battery itself. I replaced the battery with another gill, but was unhappy with its performance (didn't seem to have the cranking amps even though it tested good) but replaced with a concord after 6 months. My recommendation for replacement criteria is based on a number of different factors:

1. Does it maintain a charge (can you leave the plane sit for a few weeks and the battery cranks the engine with out a problem)

2. Load test on the battery

3. Age of the battery (I'm guilty of not adhering to this one) usually between 3-5 yrs

4. Need for reliability. (Does the plane have a mission where you have to depend on it or are you just flying for pleasure and if the battery fails you just have it replaced)

A good battery minder will help extend the life of an idle battery, but the best thing for it and your plane is to fly regularly.

Brian

I'll add my two cents here and say I replaced my Gill 35 last year shortly after buying my plane.  It had 31 months of use when I replaced it.  It seemed to be working fine when i replaced it.  I only replaced it because people here seemed to think it should be replaced after 2 years so I did it in hopes to avoid being stranded somewhere.  I went with a Concorde battery when I replaced it and it seems to crank a little better now.  I also keep a battery minder on it when she's put away in the hangar. 

(h)(1) In the event of a complete loss of the primary electrical power generating system, the battery must be capable of providing electrical power to those loads that are essential to continued safe flight and landing for:

(i) At least 30 minutes for airplanes that are certificated with a maximum altitude of 25,000 feet or less; and

(ii) At least 60 minutes for airplanes that are certificated with a maximum altitude over 25,000 feet.

(2) The time period includes the time to recognize the loss of generated power and to take appropriate load shedding action.

If the battery won't pass the test then you need a new one.

N201MKTurbo

>Thread creap<  I don't doubt your rule quote, but as I recall (now there's a dangerous proposition!), I flew several airliners that had only a 30 minute battery for such things as standby horizon and lowering the landing gear.  Certainly they were certificated above 25,000.  Is this covered differently under part 121?

It seems strange that large, passenger carrying aircraft would not have to comply with the more stringent 60 minute rule.

>Back to Mooneys<  For my Mooney, that battery is the only back-up source for vital IFR stuff.  I periodically do a capacity check and never keep a battery beyond 5 years, just on general principles.  Good, but old aircraft batteries find all sorts of uses in the hangar!

• 3 weeks later...

My first Concorde lasted a full seven years.  My second lasted just half that long.  I began using a Battery Tender on the second battery, but one night we had a power failure at the airport and the Battery Tender hookup discharged the battery.  Of course it rechareged later but it never seemed to be the same after that and by 3 1/2 years it was toast.

• 3 months later...

I have concordes and follow their recommendation for testing and to change if less than 85% of capacity. They have been in the plane for >4.5yrs and on a battery minder for 2years  - They are still going very strong.

• 3 weeks later...

Those with batteries mounted in the tail cone may find they have a longer battery life due to less heat than the ones with the battery in the engine compartment.

As far as capacity checks go, all batteries come with ICAs, Instructions for Continued Airworthiness. Just like say a Standby Vac System that has ICAs to inspect it for operation every year, every addition to your airplane has an ICA associated with it. It's a requirement for STC approval. ICAs need to be complied with but I'll bet that not 1 in 1000 ever comply with the battery ICA. It gets checked for water level and corrosion and that's all. The airplanes that go to annual at a full repair station may find that they won't do the annual unless they do the capacity check. A picky Maintenance Fed just might just have an issue with you if you don't have a capacity check done. Remember, you might want to re-read 91.403. Putting it off on the A&P  if it isn't done won't cut it. Just sayin