VFR flight plan, do you ever?

Mcstealth

Flight Following is all I ever use when not filed IFR. Don't get dropped much in the Midwest, except when headed where I shouldn't be VFR. But I don't depart near Cincinnati and ask for FF immediately, either.

P.S.--Congrats on your new F! You'll enjoy her once you pick her up.

McStealth:

Flight following, for VFR flights, is indeed superior.

Flight following saved our lives on the way to Sloshkosh (Oshkosh 2010). Heading south in WI and not seeing the target, Green Bay approach let me know of the target (a 182 headed Northwest) at my altitude but invisible to me. When I could not see the target at 1.5 miles, they suggested a left turn. We did so right quick and about 7 seconds later we spotted it. Missed us by about half a mile. They were probably only talking on the VFR en route frequency.

I fly almost exclusively IFR in the US now - partly because of that incident.

If I am going on any cross country I just file IFR. In 99.9% of the cases you get direct and it helps with traffic/TFR/Clouds/Etc. really a bunch of benefits with no downsides and if in VMC you can drop it whenever you want as well.

I always file IFR. If you dont have an instrument ticket, then may I suggest that you file VFR and request Flight Following. The search and rescue stats will alarm you with the fact that FF provides very marginal help. Remember, unlike a flight plan (VFR or IFR), FF will not initiate any SAR if you "fall off radar coverage." A flight plan will automatically initiate SAR 30 mins past ETA files.

• Like 1

I'm in the camp that says if I'm going to file anything, it will be IFR. I, too, have not filed a VFR flight plan since my PPL days. It always seemed so cumbersome to me, the methodology for actually picking up the plan in the air. You have to switch over to a Flight Service frequency (which are not so easy to find) and then deal with them finding it and all that. Much easier to get flight following for a longer VFR trip, which I will do for any flight over about 1/2 hour or so.

Vfr flight plans are still commonly used in the mountains where radar and radio coverage are not available below 16k or even 18k feet. If you are headed through a pass in a non-turbo plane, you should use a vfr flight plan. Ifr does not work well either as the minimum enroute altitudes can be 16k or higher, for radio and navigation signal reasons.

If you crash 1 mile short of the runway at Leadville, CO, for example, and are not on an active flight plan, nobody is going to know or come looking for a long time.

Anywhere else in the country I just go ifr or flight following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I always file IFR. If you dont have an instrument ticket, then may I suggest that you file VFR and request Flight Following. The search and rescue stats will alarm you with the fact that FF provides very marginal help. Remember, unlike a flight plan (VFR or IFR), FF will not initiate any SAR if you "fall off radar coverage." A flight plan will automatically initiate SAR 30 mins past ETA files.

I am probably an anomaly, but can mirror a good reason to file! ATC became very confused AND a VFR flight plan would have been a big help to them during the following. IF an emergency had occurred, a VFR flight plan might have made a big difference to me.

I was TX to NV, WHEN I did not file a VFR flight plan, only using FF, not realizing it is not a flight plan replacement. I lost contact with center on FF after flying out of their radio coverage area. I waited too long to talk to them. They forgot me, almost constantly, talking to a military flight of five that were monopolizing the frequency. I jumped in between and called, but did not hear an answer. I was now out of range of their remote radio facility, over very inhospitable remote territory, and in a new center area with no hand-off frequency.

Since I was close to my destination, but over 30 minutes away, I never contacted the new center area for FF. I made a fuel stop right after the lost radio contact at a non-towered less expensive fuel airport, part of my "personal" plan. Now I was "radar lost". I later landed at my destination, a towered airport in class B air space. To get there I was on a clearance into that airspace about 60+ minutes after the lost radio contact.

My informal FP, i.e. my home airport contact, and my pilot neighbor, knew my route and plan. They gave ATC the information when they were contacted. ATC eventually confirmed me on the ground at my destination, but told my airport manager that they were ready to go SAR at about 30 minutes past radio contact lost. This contact, when my neighbor told me about it after calling me about two hours later, was made not much more than 30 minutes after I thought contact was lost.

I file VFR as much as practical, so a call to FSS on a universal frequency can take care of lost FF contact. I would prefer IFR, but have trouble staying current. Also, since my M20E is still a /U, IFR direct will not be a given for me. Eventually I will be able to afford a /G upgrade. A few thousand $$ for my KLN94 would do it, but I would rather save for a better upgrade. Also, since I only fly about 100 hours per year and for pleasure only, I am hesitant to make the $$ commitment for constant updating of the GPS.

I used to fly CAP searches in the 80s, mostly ELTs. We have come a long way since then. I usually did not get called until 8 to 20 hours after an ELT was heard. Non-ELT searches could take 24+ hours to get started after lost contact. However, I can attest to the fact that time after an emergency off airport landing is precious from those experiences.

• Like 1

I file VFR as much as practical, so a call to FSS on a universal frequency can take care of lost FF contact. I would prefer IFR, but have trouble staying current.

I may be wrong but if the weather is VMC and you have your IR you can file IFR even if you are not current. You need to be instrument rated to file an IFR plan. It will keep you in the system and talking to ATC. You can even request to do the apporach at your destination in VMC and VFR for practice and if you are flying anyway get current and fly with a few clouds out there.

The only time file a VFR flight plan is when I will be over sparsely populated areas and flight following is not available such as when I fly from Vegas to Denver. I am over rugged / remote terrain and sometimes to low for radar coverage as Zane mentioned I would really want people to come looking for me if I went down and survived.

with flight following, 406ELT and cell phones .... i never file VFR.

But, when something happens to an aircraft, the media always make you feel that the pilot did not know where he was going (i.e. what he was doing) if no flight plan was filed.

and if something happens in uncontrolled airspace, it probably means the pilot was out of control !

I may be wrong but if the weather is VMC and you have your IR you can file IFR even if you are not current.

You are wrong. To operate under IFR (that is, instrument flight rules, irrespective of the weather conditions), you must be instrument rated, equipped, and current. And, for an approach to count toward currency, it must be under actual or simulated instrument conditions. If simulated (i.e., you're using a hood/foggles), you must have a safety pilot, and if you're on an IFR clearance for that approach (or otherwise), your safety pilot must be instrument rated as well.

if you're on an IFR clearance for that approach (or otherwise), your safety pilot must be instrument rated as well.

That was my interpretation. Finding an instrument rated safety pilot, or "benign" weather for actual approaches, is what keeps me from staying current. All the CFIIs around here say I can use a non-rated safety pilot in VMC, but I tend to agree with danb35.

You are wrong. To operate under IFR (that is, instrument flight rules, irrespective of the weather conditions), you must be instrument rated, equipped, and current. And, for an approach to count toward currency, it must be under actual or simulated instrument conditions. If simulated (i.e., you're using a hood/foggles), you must have a safety pilot, and if you're on an IFR clearance for that approach (or otherwise), your safety pilot must be instrument rated as well.

Yep. Luckily though, if you are IFR current, then that carries across all makes. Keeps it easier for those of us that fly multiple airframes for "work"!

Finding an instrument rated safety pilot, or "benign" weather for actual approaches, is what keeps me from staying current. All the CFIIs around here say I can use a non-rated safety pilot in VMC, but I tend to agree with danb35.

Careful, now. Your safety pilot only needs to be instrument rated if you're doing the practice approaches under IFR (that is, on an instrument clearance). You can shoot all the approaches you want under VFR without you or your safety pilot having an instrument rating (and if you're doing it at an uncontrolled field, you don't even have to be talking with anyone to do it). The weather conditions aren't the issue; it's the flight rules.

OK I am wrong about filing IFR plans. However, the safety pilot does not need to be instrument rated. His job is to look for other aircraft since we are talking aobut simulated IMC. If you are in IMC then the pilot in command is in command and you should be on an IFR plan.

CFR 91.109 c1

© No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless—

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

However, the safety pilot does not need to be instrument rated.

The safety pilot must be instrument rated if you are on an IFR clearance. See FAR 61.55:

§ 61.55 Second-in-command qualifications.

(a) A person may serve as a second-in-command of an aircraft type certificated for more than one required pilot flight crewmember or in operations requiring a second-in-command pilot flight crewmember only if that person holds:

(1) At least a private pilot certificate with the appropriate category and class rating; and

(2) An instrument rating or privilege that applies to the aircraft being flown if the flight is under IFR; and

(emphasis added). As a required pilot cremember, a safety pilot is SIC (unless the pilot flying and the safety pilot agree that the safety pilot will be PIC instead, which is often said to happen in order to allow the safety pilot to log time as PIC), and thus is covered by this requirement. Obviously, if the safety pilot is going to be PIC, s/he must be instrument rated and current if the flight will be under IFR.

Now, if you aren't on an IFR clearance and are shooting the approaches VFR, you're correct that the safety pilot need not hold an instrument rating.

Does not the requirement to be using ATC as part of currency require you to be on an IFR clearance?

There is no requirement in the U.S. to be using ATC as part of currency. You also don't have to be on an IFR clearance to be using ATC: "Anywhere approach, Bugsmasher 123, request VFR practice approach, GPS 23 somewhere" "Bugsmasher 123, proceed as requested, maintain VFR."

• Like 1