Lycoming Echelon M20E/F/J engine upgrade

Grant

I'm always skeptical.  :)  It they were doing a proper break-in, they *should* be running max power at low altitude, preferably LOP, otherwise 150+ ROP.  Also with the cowl flaps open, in which case I really doubt the speeds they were seeing.

If that is the speed at 13 or 14 GPH, that is one thing.  If they got that speed at 8,000' on 9 GPH, that is quite another.  I'd also like to know if it was taken from IAS and properly converted to TAS, or if they did a 3-way GPS run and calculated the TAS from the GS runs taken 120 degrees apart.

I can't purchase one, I only have 450 hours on a NEW A3-B6, so I'll never own one. I think it is nice to see LYC realize a market, Hartzell to realize a market and new STC's available for 30 year old planes. It'll add value and interest to Heritage Mooneys. Again, LYC suggest a significant increase and so does Hartzell with the 2 blade Top Prop. Put 'em together and neigh-sayers would be hard pressed not to celebrate gains. Want a break through? Buy an Acclaim. Thanks for the welcome mat. I have been tooling around, reading and looking at everyone's photo albums. Awesome site.

JP

Quote: RJBrown

I hope we never get alcohol foisted on us. It makes a BAD fuel for airplanesc cars too. There is a reason mogas with ethanol can't be used in planes with a mogas stc.

• 2 months later...

A point of reference...

I replaced an at TBO cam eating IO-360A3B6D with an IO-360A3B6D factory reman with roller tappets and gained about 3 knots in cruise, using same old prop and no other mods to my 1982 M20J.

Quote: wolftimj

A point of reference...

I replaced an at TBO cam eating IO-360A3B6D with an IO-360A3B6D factory reman with roller tappets and gained about 3 knots in cruise, using same old prop and no other mods to my 1982 M20J.

• 7 years later...