Retract handle boot

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...
6 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

The shop that did my annual last year replaced mine (even though I specifically asked them not to) and charged me $100.00.  The material they used is only dlightly better than tissue paper.  Makes Hectors sound like a BARGAIN

I believe the original was cloth. The material has to be thin and pliable to fit the space and not bind. That’s why I went to thin deer skin. I had a slighter thicker piece but it was too thick.

i wanted leather to match the leather seats. I know it sounds picky...but ...it’s a Mooney!

15 minutes ago, C-FRJI said:

I believe the original was cloth. The material has to be thin and pliable to fit the space and not bind. That’s why I went to thin deer skin. I had a slighter thicker piece but it was too thick.

i wanted leather to match the leather seats. I know it sounds picky...but ...it’s a Mooney!

I totally get it! I’m picky too.  Thin leather is one thing, I would have loved to have gotten thin leather.  The shop that did my annual used a see through cloth that’s horrible looking and charged me $100.00 for it. 

Edited by Whiskey Charlie

16 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

I totally get it! I’m picky too.  Thin leather is one thing, I would have loved to have gotten thin leather.  The shop that did my annual used a see through cloth that’s horrible looking and charged me $100.00 for it. 

My original one was a stretchy loose weave thing. Too soiled and rotten to determine color. I removed it years ago and put in a temporary sleeve.

when I had more time I took measurements and built a wood mock-up with a plastic tube for the J Bar. There is a bend at the bottom and the angles are tricky.

the boot slides on the bar and also flexes a bit. I used a cloth pattern to rough out a design, but still had adjustments with the leather. My wife did the sewing on a regular sewing machine.  

Some other designs I have seen are just a tube sewn to a flat piece. I think that is where you get problems when you retract the gear. Solution seems to be the slack required to accommodate the bend in the bar has to tuck into the hole in the floor when the gear is down. Also I had to remove a borrow strip of the carpet that covers the wheel well to make a bit more space for the boot.

I guess I was looking for a puzzle to solve.

• Like 1