Co-Pilot brakes

68m20g

On 12/14/2009 at 9:57 AM, mjc said:

Apparently, this issue is not subject to the discretion of the examiner, as the FAA has issued an interpretation of the "dual controls" mandate. So I'd probably start by emailing the text from the following link to the examiner:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/regdual.html

If the examiner still refuses to allow the exam, I'd probably ask the local FSDO for the name of another nearby examiner that does abide by the FAA's interpretation. In any case, I agree with the others that adding dual brakes is cost-prohibitive for this use case.

I think that’s a misunderstanding. Any examiner can refuse a ride just like any pic can refuse to fly a plane. Some examiners won’t do any checkrides for certain schools because they don’t like their maintenance. The faa rule only says examiners are allowed to give the ride without brakes. 

no need to call the fsdo. Just go to the website and select the next examiner down the list. Gone are the days the fsdo was involved in initial cfi dpe selection. 

Edited by RobertGary1

• 9 months later...

You may want to have co-pilot brakes in the long term.  There is not much added weight.  The work to install is not that much.  I spoke with Bill Wheat when I added the hydraulic lines for mine.  He said the best system is the one without the shuttle valve.  I have drawings and installed them with DER approval.  

The right and left brakes are interconnected.  The master brake cylinders I used were from a 1998 Ovation.  They are the same on both sides.  I got rid of the original parking brake and used the one from the Ovation which only pressurizes the lower part of the system closer to the main wheels.  

Depending upon how mechanical you are, it should not be much of a project if you were to measure, make up  and bend the hydraulic lines.  They will need to be flared and hand fitted.  You should be able to work with an A&P on this.  Bleeding the brakes can take some time.  Brake pedals and parts have been available on e-bay.  

John Breda