Co-Pilot brakes

68m20g

ASIDE -- gee, that's interesting.  I thought the FAA examiner was along for the ride, not as required crew, so why does he/she need any controls at all?   Of course, the examiner may have personal requirements other than FAA regulations.  Or, are you going to be sitting in the right seat as the CFI candidate?  In that case, yes, you would want brakes over there.    

Quote: jerry-N5911Q

ASIDE -- gee, that's interesting.  I thought the FAA examiner was along for the ride, not as required crew, so why does he/she need any controls at all?   Of course, the examiner may have personal requirements other than FAA regulations.  Or, are you going to be sitting in the right seat as the CFI candidate?  In that case, yes, you would want brakes over there.    

I may be facing this predicament myself. I don't want to give primary instruction in my airplane. I do want to use it to obtain CFI and CFII. The fellow training me has a good contact at the FSDO he is talking to about this but it still leaves me feeling uneasy since its at the discretion of the examiner.

What's worse, switching airplanes would cost a non-negligable amount of money (to find, check out, and become proficient in all maneuvers in another complex airplane wihch are hard to come by).

Quote: Immelman

I may be facing this predicament myself. I don't want to give primary instruction in my airplane. I do want to use it to obtain CFI and CFII. The fellow training me has a good contact at the FSDO he is talking to about this but it still leaves me feeling uneasy since its at the discretion of the examiner.

What's worse, switching airplanes would cost a non-negligable amount of money (to find, check out, and become proficient in all maneuvers in another complex airplane wihch are hard to come by).

I have time in 172RGs and PA28Rs before I bought my Mooney so a checkout in one of those should not in theory take a long time.. but you know how rental outfits go; its a pain in the butt to jump through an FBO's hoops (one of the reaons why we its great to own an airplane to begin with).

Anyway, because complex airplanes around here rent for $150+ per hour, and I am thinking I would need to rent one for at LEAST 5 hours (likely more), it may actually make financial sense to see about how much adding the brakes would be. However, I will cross the bridge when I come to it.

Apparently, this issue is not subject to the discretion of the examiner, as the FAA has issued an interpretation of the "dual controls" mandate. So I'd probably start by emailing the text from the following link to the examiner:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/regdual.html

If the examiner still refuses to allow the exam, I'd probably ask the local FSDO for the name of another nearby examiner that does abide by the FAA's interpretation. In any case, I agree with the others that adding dual brakes is cost-prohibitive for this use case.

Thanks for the replys. I have found the parts needed for 700.00 and have an estimate of 800.00 for installation. not bad considering what it will cost to rent and check out in a different plane.

I have also printed out the new interpretation and am going to show it to the Examiner. I'll probably just PO him and have to find anouther examiner anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I recently (finally) recieved the Mooney dual brake kit 950239-501 for my 68 M20F.... now I need to get it installed....  I have been trying to find someone who has done one of these installs in recent history, without any luck so far. My Phx area Mooney Service facility has not, for instance.

I have asked Mooney (corporate) Service if they can give me a list of customers who have bought this kit (again in recent history) and am waiting, waiting, for a response.

Is there anyone out there in the Forumsphere that can give me a lead?  I think my A&P and I can "handle it" regardless, but it would be very, very nice to talk to somebody, at least, who has some experience with an "old-Mooney" brake-addition install.

Rod Timmons

N6748N

Deer Valley Airport, Phoenix

Something I don't understand, maybe cause I'm old!  I took my CFI and CFII in a Cessna 150 and when I got my complex rating, I was qualified to instruct in that.  Have they changed the rules that much over the years??

Mike

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2013 at 0:40 PM, N601RX said:

I put one on my 67 F last summer.  Most of the time was spent forming, fitting and mounting the aluminum lines.

I also have a extra set if anyone is interested.

Hello there,

Do you still have the extra Mooney copilot brake kit? I am interested in it for my 1968 F model. 

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2013 at 2:49 PM, rodtimmons said:

I recently (finally) recieved the Mooney dual brake kit 950239-501 for my 68 M20F.... now I need to get it installed....  I have been trying to find someone who has done one of these installs in recent history, without any luck so far. My Phx area Mooney Service facility has not, for instance.

I have asked Mooney (corporate) Service if they can give me a list of customers who have bought this kit (again in recent history) and am waiting, waiting, for a response.

Is there anyone out there in the Forumsphere that can give me a lead?  I think my A&P and I can "handle it" regardless, but it would be very, very nice to talk to somebody, at least, who has some experience with an "old-Mooney" brake-addition install.

Rod Timmons

N6748N

Deer Valley Airport, Phoenix

On 4/3/2013 at 3:40 PM, N601RX said:

I put one on my 67 F last summer.  Most of the time was spent forming, fitting and mounting the aluminum lines.

I also have a extra set if anyone is interested.

Hi, I have a 67 M20F and I am considering the right side brakes...where did you purchase your retrofit kits?  Curious how long the shop took to install?

I did the install on my 1968 F.  My brakes and master cylinders came from a 1998 Ovation.  The brake pedals and stems are the same.  The master cylinders are updated and installed with DER approval.  

Most of the time is spent forming the aluminum lines.  I also used the Ovation parking brake.  

Bill Wheat sent me the drawings of what he felt to be the preferred system.  He said to stay away for the system that has a shuttle valve.  

I likely have the drawings in my electronic files.

John Breda

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I did the install on my 1968 F.  My brakes and master cylinders came from a 1998 Ovation.  The brake pedals and stems are the same.  The master cylinders are updated and installed with DER approval.  

Most of the time is spent forming the aluminum lines.  I also used the Ovation parking brake.  

Bill Wheat sent me the drawings of what he felt to be the preferred system.  He said to stay away for the system that has a shuttle valve.  

I likely have the drawings in my electronic files.

John Breda

Ah ha!!! ...... the infamous shuttle valve !!! :angry:

Caused mystery and frustration for me a couple years ago.

For the life of me, I could discover why I wasn’t able to bleed brake system completely (my ship equipped with co-pilot brakes).   

Finally, turned out to be a faulty seal in shuttle valve for right pedals....... grrrrr!!! :angry::angry: