I love my Rebuilt Acclaim

AcclaimML

Would it be too much to soften the pre judgements just cause I may not be explaining this rudder trim issue to everyone's satisfaction?

So are you crabbing into the wind in coordinated flight, are you skidding, or are you slipping? Is it possible to be coordinated when you are crabbing into the wind? What would happen if you were flying without the autopilot on? Would the fundamentals of flying with a crosswind (the yaw and bank of the airplane) change with the autopilot off, or would you still have to use some bank into the wind?

We want you to be a competent, safe, and knowledgeable pilot as you're busting along at 225+ knots.

Yesterday was fun. Sunday breakfast run, climbed to 3500 feet, lined up on course by the DG, set power and trimmed away, then looked at the 430. The pretty pink line was pointing at about 10 o'clock; clicked to the CDI page--magnetic heading per DG was 333; ground track per Garmin was 015. We had seven planes en route, the Skyhawks were at 3000; as we were flying along looking out the side window, we saw a Skyhawk below that my wife thought was on a crossing course, but no, he was one our "ours" with a similar large crab angle.

Traveling 45º degrees to where the nose is pointing is an unusual experience when you are low [the hilltops are 1200-1400'] and the crab angle is very obvious. But it was gusty enough to hand-fly so that I could somewhat keep the wings level; my wife only hit her head on the ceiling once, a first for her short self in over 5 years' right-seating.

I can only dream of 225 knots; yesterday I was happy to see 125 . . . and even less coming back with a full belly.

Still a student, always learning and dreaming of more.

Much improved! Cold starts are usually 2-3 revolutions, warm starts a little longer. The OH'ed carb actually sends fuel up while cranking. :) Then yesterday coming home, the vacuum pump died . . . :( Out of the shop on 11/21, back in on 12/3. Never even thought about pulling the Alt. Vacuum until talking to my A&P and he asked about it . . . Good VFR conditions, though, just bumpy and gusty, watching the Art. Horizon wander all over, drifting lazily up, down, banking left and right.

Seriously? Did you not notice the 35 knot wind coming from my left? Spend a lot of time flying uncoordinated do ya?

Hopefully you now understand. If not I also think you need to read "Stick and Rudder". I have over 6000 hours of flight and I assure you it is coordinated flight. My time is primarily in planes much faster than Acclaims.

Good luck with your new plane and be careful!

So are you crabbing into the wind in coordinated flight, are you skidding, or are you slipping? Is it possible to be coordinated when you are crabbing into the wind? What would happen if you were flying without the autopilot on? Would the fundamentals of flying with a crosswind (the yaw and bank of the airplane) change with the autopilot off, or would you still have to use some bank into the wind?

We want you to be a competent, safe, and knowledgeable pilot as you're busting along at 225+ knots.

Exactly! The autopilot has nothing to do with it. The autopilot should learn from us, not us from the autopilot!

The theory is this - the airplane never has any idea that it is in a moving fluid. It thinks it is moving along with the fluid as if the fluid is stationary. The airplane moves through that stationary fluid. Now ground track may require that you point the airplane in a different crab direction than the direction of the fluid or the nose. A well rigged plane should fly hands off in any cardinal direction on the whiskey compass, including in the direction which has a crab angle so that you ground track as you wish. This hands off - no autopilot needed - configuration is the most efficient and also no-slip and no-skid. Only time you might light to point the nose in a particular direction to line up the nose with a runway upon landing and it requires some slip - dip the wing into the wind and opposite rudder. Likewise, if you use the rudder in cruise flight then to ground track as you wish, the pilot (or the autopilot) would need to dip a wing.

By the way, is this stick and rudder? I always figured that phrase refers to "feel" for the stick and rudder whereas this discussion is about theory. I do a good bit of fluid dynamics in my day job, and I knew this particular principle long before I learned to fly, and therefore long before I would say I ever had any stick and rudder skill at all. And I would consider I have average stick and rudder skills - not better and not worse. But I consider I am quite solid on these theory issues. So I would assert that good theory and good stick and rudder skills are linked but not one and the same.

Well back again. Flew again all 4 directions regardless of direction, rudder trim set to neutral ( confirmed on the ground- remember g1000 indicator is off). She was like a train on rails. Took quite a while before I needed to intervene, even in a bank. Sweet! Not a rigging problem.

Not to mention I passed my biannual review with a FAA examiner at Fulton county during non-stop light to moderate turbulence ( 2 hours under the hood). He could find no faults.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is a "biannual review"?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what is a "biannual review"?

For the OCD-inflicted grammarians among us, that's a common misunderstanding of the proper Latinate word, often used instead of "biennial review." :D

Maybe that's why the Feds renamed it "Flight Review" so that some people wouldn't use the "twice a year" word instead of the "once every two years" word that is do durn similar. Too freakin' similar in sound and spelling, too different in meaning--easily leads to confusion. Not good.

Latin died as a language more than a millennia ago, and survived in writing for several hundred years afterwards; personally, I applaud the FAA for moving into the 19th century and going to plain English. If only more industries and academia would do the same . . .

Now, on to flying and not obscure grammar!

For the OCD-inflicted grammarians among us, that's a common misunderstanding of the proper Latinate word, often used instead of "biennial review." :D

Maybe that's why the Feds renamed it "Flight Review" so that some people wouldn't use the "twice a year" word instead of the "once every two years" word that is do durn similar. Too freakin' similar in sound and spelling, too different in meaning--easily leads to confusion. Not good.

Latin died as a language more than a millennia ago, and survived in writing for several hundred years afterwards; personally, I applaud the FAA for moving into the 19th century and going to plain English. If only more industries and academia would do the same . . .

Now, on to flying and not obscure grammar!

:P

Oh well...a literature major I am not

...which raises the question of why you'd be flying with an FAA examiner for a flight review.

It was free and I knew it'd be a challenge. He offered. My sister and brother-in-law have been in the FAA 20+ years each. One's an accident investigator. They thought I bailed when I got my ticket with a DPE. With Atlanta just a short flight away, David Klingler at Fulton county checked me out.

Have fun with your orange and white speedster! Although "orange and blue" would be better . . . What was this thread about originally? Fun and fast, that's right! Do both and enjoy yourself, too many of us Vintage guys are living vicariously at 200 knots.

Maybe I'll make it back to L.A. sometime. We might even have a football team again in a year or two.

What was this thread about originally? Fun and fast, that's right!

The moral of this thread is, if you're having fun with your airplane, don't post up pictures of your instruments otherwise someone will tell you are having fun wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well acclaim Ml welcome to mooneyspace you did not do to badly on that enjoying the speed post.Only one really rude misanthrope from some guy whos screen name sounds like a cat hacking up a fur Ball!!Any way i think you wer pretty gracious about the attack on your flying skills and suggusting you go back to basic airmanship.Just be glad you didnt mention whether you were operating lean of peak or that would have started a real cat fight.Its like my dad use to say...opinions are like A**holes and yours stinks!!Enjoy the ride from up high

Any way i think you wer pretty gracious about the attack on your flying skills and suggusting you go back to basic airmanship.

It isn't an "attack" to point out an error, though the error is more with understanding what's happening than with stick-and-rudder skill. There's simply no good reason for an airplane to be in uncoordinated flight unintentionally. A crosswind certainly isn't a reason for that--the only effect a crosswind should have is that the heading (i.e., the direction the nose is pointing) is different than the ground track (the direction you're moving over the ground). There's no more reason for the plane to be uncoordinated in that case than in no-wind conditions.

This is basic aeronautics, and any private pilot should understand it. It's no more an "attack" to point this out than it is to remind someone that stalling is a function of AOA, and only tangentially related to airspeed.

• Like 1

This is correct. The individual EGTs are only exposed to hot exhaust gas every 12 crank rotations for a 6 cylinder (I think that is right!) and the value you read is an averaged value over some time period that sees many of these pulses. The TIT is getting blasted by every cylinder and thus the averaged value is higher.

That is incorrect , The exhaust valve opens every 2 rotations , of which it is open 25% of the time, The TIT is higher because the fuel is still burning in the exhaust where the egt probes are and has not reached peak temp.... There may also be a cumulative effect as mentioned earlier...