Rajay vs. M-20 turbo

Blunoser16

40 years ago I put a rajay on a 66E.  no n number specific for the stc.  .Just mooney 200hp.  Flew it for years trouble free.  come from Borger Texas, where I was bidding on a Mooney that had lost part of a prop blade, to Morristown, Tn in 4 hours. average 225 mph  fuel burn 10 gph.  I sold it but found it sitting derelect a week ago.  did something stupid and bought it back.  couple years should restore it I think.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/18/2015 at 4:39 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Oh, I don't know. My M20Turbo system works pretty well. It has been very low maintenance other then my own bone head things.

I just bought a 78 201 with M20turbo. Any suggestions as a result of your experience? N201ZD,

jimlongjr@hotmail.com

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Av8trjim said:

I just bought a 78 201 with M20turbo. Any suggestions as a result of your experience? N201ZD,

jimlongjr@hotmail.com

Keep an eye on your TIT. If you get it too high you will melt your turbine wheel.

I kept getting broken turbo mounts until I removed the muffler hanger rod. It has been ten years and about 1000 hours and not a single issue sense.

The TIT probe kept self destructing. (see #1) I was using an EI probe with the hose clamp. I had my machine shop make a little fitting for the screw in probe and had it welded on the exhaust. No problems with the TIT sense. 

The heat shield kept self destructing. I removed it and glued high temp insulation to the cowl.

Operationally, I usually run LOP at 2400 and 28in and richen it to 1500 TIT. It will burn about 9.5 GPH and true 155 down low and about 180 up high. I usually fly in the high teens. I have had it in the flight levels a few times, but it takes so long to get up there and back down it has to be a pretty long leg to make it worth while.

• Like 2

For someone looking to do a Rajay conversion for an E or F, I have an inexpensive option for you.  

I have a set of original servicable Rajay exhaust pipes from the original Rajay system.  I also have some of the specialty parts, hoses, ducts,  vernier control, turbo mounting bracket.  I also have the two STC's, parts and installation manuals, all referenced diagrams and FAA POH.  The Rajay turbo and scavenger pump are both available rebuilt.  I would be willing to sell my remaining stuff cheap enough that you should be able to put together a working system, installed for less than $15,000 if an A&P does the work, less labor costs were not an issue.  The pipes and parts I have are worth about $6,000.  The remainder is overhauled turbo ($2500-$3000), scavenger pump ($2000).  The rest is miscellaneous smaller parts and labor.  I can be reached at (617) 877-0025 or john.breda@gmail.com.  If you have a nice E or F, this system will turn it into a 165 kt airplane at 12,000 ft and a 175 kt airplane at 18,000 ft, burning 11 gph.

John Breda