NARCO Radio Displays MK-12D & NCS-812

1964-M20E

Doing some research for a new display for my Narco NCS-812 and I found them at DigiKey electronics. The displays are currently being produced by Vishay. Digi Key has an excellent price on the display $138 for the NCS-812 $135 for the MK-12D Provide the part to you avionics shop for easy install.

For the NCS 812

The Vishay-Dale number is PD-020D025-7

It also know as 50775-1

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PD020D02507S51/541-1414-ND/2813335

For the MK-12D

The Vishay-Dale number is PD-020D025-5

It also know as 50401-1

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PD020D02505S51/541-1413-ND/2813334

Double check the part number but I believe these to be correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Thanks so much for posting this information. Perhaps I shouldn't admit that I'm a Piper owner who came across your post while searching for info on Narco display replacement. Just to be clear, I've always admired the Mooney line and hope someday I can move up to one.

One question about the replacement display for the Mk 12D, the manufacturer's spec sheet shows the display as having solder terminals. Have you learned anything about this item coming with pin terminals. My Mk 12D display has pin-into-socket connectors.

Thanks again for posting this info.

-- Bill Shanahan

Thanks, Jim.

Here's an update on my question for anyone in a similar situation. I've corresponded with the display manufacturer, Vishay/Dale, and have order a replacement from Digi-Key based on what I learned. Evidently the connector-pin arrangement is similar to that used in the Narco MK 12-D.

If I run into any further issues I'll provide another update.

Thanks again for posting this information; it has saved me much anxiety and I'm sure it would help other Narco owners.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but have a pertinent question.

My Narco 12d display looks fine with good ambient light. At night, half of each digit doesnt display.  I don't know if this is the display's fault or the auto-dimming light sensor.  I'm sure other people have had this problem before.  I am basically trying to find out if a new displlay will fix this problem.  Thanks guys!

I have both an 810 and a Mk 12D.  I have replaced both sets of displays over the 9 years I have owned my Mooney. They wear out and go from working to getting really dim, to finally losing some of the digits over the space of a few months.  I understand there are still lots of spare displays out there and some shops specialize in them.  

I once made the mistake of trying to replace the one in my 810.  I may have been a Signals Officer, but there is a reason why my technicians did not want me to touch anything in the repair shops. I just do not have the knack for it.  I paid for that display twice and the second one was put in by a much more competent radio technician.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/26/2015 at 10:41 AM, adamsboomer said:

Just replaced my MK12 D display with no issue, I was even able to do it without taking the knobs off, although it would have been much easier to take them off if I had an allen small enough.

I’m glad this thread exists. I just replaced my Narco 12D display. I ended up taking the smallest Allen I had and made it smaller via my grinding wheel to get the knobs off. It took me 1.5 hours including pulling the radio and making the ultra-tiny Allen wrench. Getting all 100+ pins (it seemed like) on the new display to line up on the old sockets was an exercise in patience.