Hartzell Top Prop Spinner Break up

Hard to believe in this day and age they can't make an aluminum spinner that doesn't crack. My 35 year old McCauley spinner held up fine until I switched to the MT. The MT has a shiny fiberglass spinner too, something else Hartzell can't seem to do.

My exact words! Seems these days the quality of 'approved' stuff has gone down, and the paperwork and cost up, kind of contradictory with modern technology and methods. The spinner the Hartzell replaced was 49 years old, shiny metal, and had 3200 hrs on it

You guys do realize there is a what Hartzell calls an Alert Service Bulletin for this very issue

Some where in this web site someone (sorry don't recall who) brought it to my attention and I appreciate them sharing the information, advice and wisdom.

http://www.hartzellp...pport.php?id=80

HC-ASB-61-332 Full Document Dec 13, 2011 Propeller - Spinner Assembly 835-54(P) installed on Mooney M20( ) aircraft under Hartzell STC SA02414CH-D, 1

The details are in the ASB but to briefly summarize you cut the part/serial number section out of metal spinner dome assembly sent it to Hartzell. You get 3 types of finishes to chose from ( I think it is white ,Sliver it isn't really silver looking more of dull gray, unfinished) and they send you new composite spinner at no charge but I don't know if this offer still valid. I did my spinner dome back in February / March 2012 but just recently got the airplane flying again since I was doing other stuff to it.

You have to modify metal adapter ring assembly by adding 2 nutplates on each side.

these nutplates hold/support the new composite filer plates. I have about 12 hrs on it now no complaints on the installation. The spinner dome sticks out further than metal spinner dome and the composite weight is a wash if I recall correctly however the new scimitar prop is about 4 lbs heavier.

James '67C

I bought the Top Prop in 2008 and am now on the 4th or 5th spinner. The original and subsequent replacements were replaced under warranty for exactly this proble, although I never personally excperienced it. The last warranty replacement they sent me is a painted composite spinner that they say permanently fixes the proble. We'll see but so far so good. 1968 M20C