DIY engine heater

Bob

Last night I put together an engine heater for my 231. I know many manufactured units are available, but did not want to spend $400-$600 for a heater. I also did not want to have a $50 heater that may cook something due to no temp control.

I chose the Lasko/Stanley 1500watt ceramic heater due to cost, temp and fan adjustments, quality and also due to the nice handle. I then decide to add a Ranco ETC-111000 Digital Temperature Control and chose this control because of the quality, price, adjustment options and also because it includes a temp sensor that has an 8ft lead. This will allow me to use the heater just like a home furnace and have it automatically maintain the engine bay temperature. For my needs, a hanger with electric, I want to set up the Mooney with the heater and leave it till I return for the next flight with little worry when gone or wait time when I return.

Everything looks good from the bench test and I will hanger test over the next few days. As a starting point I will use low temp settings and medium fan settings on the Lasko heater. And set the Ranco control to go on at 65 and off at 68. I will place the temp sensor in the turbo door and hose in the front cowl opening.

If all goes well, I will next work on keeping the cabin warm.

Total cost is about $130 and 2 hours of my beer time. 

Ranco control and Lasko heater were purchased from Amazon.com

The 4 inch neoprene 350 degree hose from Mcmaster.com

Tin 4 to 6 inch adapter from Home Depot.

post-304-13468137728031_thumb.jpg

post-304-13468137729353_thumb.jpg

post-304-1346813773008_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome!  At first glance, my reaction was "How's it going to cycle? Must be for pre-heating".  That external temp thingy is GREAT. I didn't know those exisited.  <thumbs up!>

I'm planning on using the "100W worklight in the cowl" method at first. If that does not work, I'm going your route.

Will you be covering the cowl with blankets or such?

Loveflying-Yes, I will place a blanket over the cowl.  Later I will test if it really makes a difference.

Here are the Ranco Control Specs.

• Temperature Setpoint Range:  -30° to 220°F
  • Differential range: 1° to 30°F
  • Input Voltage: 120VAC, 208, 240VAC
  • Pilot duty: 125VA at 120/208/240VAC
  • Sensor:  Thermistor, 2" long x 1/4"dia with 8' cable (included)
  • Control Ambient Temperatures

• Operating:  -20° to 140°
    • Storage: -40° to 176°

• Ambient humidity:  0 to 95% RH, non-condensing
  • Enclosure:  NEMA 1
  • Dimensions: 6.52" high x 2.7" wide x 2.48" deep
  • Agency Approvals: UL listed, file E94419, Guide XAPX, CSA certified, file LR68340, class 4813 02

Relay Output Ratings - NO (NC)

120V

208/240V

Full load amps

16 (5.8) A

8 (2.9 A)

Locked rotor amps

96 (34.8) A

48 (17.4) A

Resistive amps

15 (5.8) A

8 (2.9) A

Horsepower

1 (1/4) HP

1 (1/4) HP

George-Thanks for the link to the other post.  I saw that and started a new post due to the age.  But the link will help everyone see all the options.

Any thoughts from on "ideal" temperature?  I really do not want to cook stuff 24 hrs a day for months, but the higher it is, the faster I get to go fly.

I went to the hanger today and the heater works pretty good. Outside temp 27 and engine temp was 65. This was without a blanket.

In a few days I will be adding an additional hose to the intake grill of the heater. My thought is the heater will work much less by not trying to warm the cold outside air and will only have to maintain the warm air in the engine bay area. The heater intake hose is going to be placed in the front cowl opening along with the temp sensor and the warm air hose is going into the turbo inspection door opening. I guess this makes sense, my house heater does not heat outside air to room temperature. It takes room temp air and maintains it. I feel a little silly for not thinking of this earlier!

The picture shows location of heater intake.

post-304-13468137732582_thumb.jpg

Quote: ILXLR8

I went to the hanger today and the heater works pretty good. Outside temp 27 and engine temp was 65. This was without a blanket.

In a few days I will be adding an additional hose to the intake grill of the heater. My thought is the heater will work much less by not trying to warm the cold outside air and will only have to maintain the warm air in the engine bay area. The heater intake hose is going to be placed in the front cowl opening along with the temp sensor and the warm air hose is going into the turbo inspection door opening. I guess this makes sense, my house heater does not heat outside air to room temperature. It takes room temp air and maintains it. I feel a little silly for not thinking of this earlier!

The picture shows location of heater intake.

• 8 years later...

I was just looking at doing something like this, and saw the post. Went to a website, and found the parts. 
Also had a second idea, and thinking it'll solve the cold cabin issue... Install a Tee on the outlet, and toss a tube through the pilot window. 

Going to install as is first, and see how much OOMPH there is. 
I'll PIREP once complete. 

• Like 1

That's cool!  I bought the same heater but did the lazy version.  I have it placed under the left cowl flap and adjust the thermostat to cycle as best possible.  I use the heater wherever I am working too.  It doesn't put out a ton of heat but for localized areas works well.  Anyone use the kerosene or propane heaters in the hangar?

I did something very similar once I got an enclosed hangar some years ago.  I call it a foot heater because before I retired my assistant used one under her desk to heat her feet.  I made a funnel from a stove pipe fitting and put dryer hose over it.  I put the hose into the engine bay and left it on 24/7 in cool weather.  Even if it is well below freezing in the hangar a temp gun shows 50 degrees F or better.  I think altogether cost about $40.

Hope this helps.

I have one of the expensive "stick" heaters (can't think of the name) for the engine.  I just leave it on all the time.  I have the same heater you purchased connected to a 3g cell switch.  The heater is sitting on a stool in the cargo area.  I can turn it on remotely and have a toasty warm cockpit when I arrive. 

I also have a big Kerosene heater in the hanger.  It works in the spring/fall. But, in the dead of winter it has to be running for a couple of hours to really make a dent.  By then dragons are dancing on the walls (if you know what I mean). 

The best purchase I made was last year.  It must have been the perfect storm.  I went to the hanger and it looked like somebody had sprayed everything down with a hose it was so humid.  I purchased a big dehumidifier and I just let it run with a hose attached that flows out under the hanger door.  It'll mostly keep the humidity around 35 with the added benefit that it produces (a little) heat.

I had thought about buying a small heating pad and stuffing it into the cowl flap opening and closing it in with cowl plugs in place.  Has anyone tried this?   Seems cheap, safe, and possibly effective.

Might as well use 2, one each side, I’m guessing heat output would be much less than engine heater.

Look at EZ heat pad, around 150 bucks and a few hours install including cowl removal, log book entry only. Make sure your really clean before sticking pad on! I installed one on my F 2 years ago, no issues works perfect, thermostatic control on the pad. I cover cowl with old sleeping bag(zipper removed) and leave it plugged in all the time in winter. 

21 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

Look at EZ heat pad, around 150 bucks and a few hours install including cowl removal, log book entry only. Make sure your really clean before sticking pad on! I installed one on my F 2 years ago, no issues works perfect, thermostatic control on the pad. I cover cowl with old sleeping bag(zipper removed) and leave it plugged in all the time in winter. 

Funny you say that. Because the plane is relatively new to me, I wasn’t aware that it had one of those installed already. 

Unfortunately, it is unserviceable. So, went to plan B for a quick fix:

1E2B03D7-AE15-4364-8B73-56082B944814.jpeg

On 11/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, INA201 said:

.  Anyone use the kerosene or propane heaters in the hangar?

Combustion of fuels leaves a lot of moisture around condensing on colder items... finding a way to dump the exhaust outside would be a winner...

Fire and CO issues takes the fun out of these heater types...

OK if you are there... and have your CO monitor handy.

Things to consider...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Combustion of fuels leaves a lot of moisture around condensing on colder items... finding a way to dump the exhaust outside would be a winner...

Fire and CO issues takes the fun out of these heater types...

OK if you are there... and have your CO monitor handy.

Things to consider...

Best regards,

-a-

Those 2 pesky byproducts of combustion. CO and H2O both of those are not friendly to airplanes and aviators