Video: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico in my Acclaim

Joe Zuffoletto

I'm just curious but what does avgas cost down there?

Obviously varies... back in April I paid about $7/gallon. Cabo's not cheap for GA and Mexico is getting ready to implement their version of eAPIS that will make it next to impossible to fly anywhere in Mexico GA because they're looking to impose 5-figure penalties (in USD) for even minor mistakes, like crossing the border 5 minutes later than you said you would, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...Mexican Eapis...well that will really screw the pooch...I mean this is a country where half of the strips i fly into have no internet service or search and rescue...so combine that with airports spread out over some really long distances ,maybe a army garrison of 5 or 6 soldiers living under miserable conditions and the potential of official "mordida"and if Eapis becomes law of land ,confiscation of us aircraft becomes the norm for even minor infractions...kpc

I love to drive to Mexico, and I do often for really good food, but this really makes me NOT want to ever fly down there. Hands down, I still think the USA is the most GA friendly nation. I know some may disagree with me but if you compare it to anywhere in Europe, Canada, etc., USA wins in my book.

I agree with you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am currently based in Guatemala and the authorities here are rather friendly to GA. It helps that the Administrator of the local FAA is the former President of the local Flying Club (equivalent to the local AOPA) and a great guy. The only annoying thing compared to the US is that you have to file each time you fly (regardless if IFR or VFR). But otherwise great.

Oscar..I would love to fly down to central america/Guatemala...I had a trip scheduled in 1988 or so and was advised by the US state dept how dangerous it was at the time...I donot recall what the exact issue was..I think it was some nurses that disappeared on the road at the time...anyway Tikal is on my bucket list..have you flown in there??sinc kpc

I have been posted here for about a year now and we love it. I work for the World Bank. The country is beautiful, people are nice (among the nicest I have met in my professional life (this is my 5th country in the last 10 years). Is it dangerous? Yes it is. Crime is high and violent drug related crimes are common. To give you an example we don't go out at night after 10 PM... I was recommended to have a bodyguard for me and my family. I turned it down and nothing has happened... The main issue is not to be too flashy. I have travelled across the country by car (my wife hates to fly :=( ). Not to bad. I have been to Tikal, AMAZING (I also visted the pyramids in Egypt, Machu Pichu, Stone ege, etc and this is at the same level of wow effect). And of course I have flown in the country, and I have found a great GA community.

To summarize: it is dangerous, but worth while. If you ever feel like visiting let me know. I would be happy to assist you in organizing a visit and of course to invit you to a beer.

Abrazo

Oscar