opinions on buying STEC GPSS on ebay.

rbridges

here's a couple of ST-901 units for sale on ebay. One is from Wentworth who has a great ebay rating.

http://www.ebay.com/...cb4bb99&vxp=mtr

The other is someone in KY.

http://www.ebay.com/...8fbdd27&vxp=mtr

The one in KY looks cleaner. Should the oxidation on the outside of the connectors on the Wentworth unit pose any concern? I was told by a few people that these units are pretty bulletproof. It looks like I can get a used unit for less than $1k vs. $1800 for a new one. Also, my setup is similar to what the KY guy had: 430 (his was WAAS, mine isnt) and STEC 50.

What do you guys think?

Make sure they come with the appropriate STC paperwork, including a permission statement that will allow you to install it on your aircraft. If they don't (which is likely), call S-TEC and see what they'll want to make it legal.

Make sure they come with the appropriate STC paperwork, including a permission statement that will allow you to install it on your aircraft. If they don't (which is likely), call S-TEC and see what they'll want to make it legal.

Does the mooney need an STC? The guy who will install it said most planes are simply a logbook entry, but he wasn't sure for my plane.

These units are great bang-for-the-buck, especially if you get one used at half price. Combined with WAAS, the functionality is truly outstanding, and makes for a much safer single-pilot IFR platform.

My plane came with it installed, and I upgraded the GPS's to WAAS a few months after I purchased it. I can't remember what the installation paperwork said aobut the GPSS module...it was part of a large upgrade the previous owner did.

The GPSS is an accessory to your Stec 50. In addition to the STC paperwork required, as Dan noted, I would call Stec and make sure the GPSS unit conforms to your AP serial number. Remember, every Stec autopilot is STC'ed for only one airplane serial number (yours).....every autopilot component. Probably not an issue, but I would make sure.

The GPSS is an accessory to your Stec 50. In addition to the STC paperwork required, as Dan noted, I would call Stec and make sure the GPSS unit conforms to your AP serial number. Remember, every Stec autopilot is STC'ed for only one airplane serial number (yours).....every autopilot component. Probably not an issue, but I would make sure.

thanks. I did some internet research tonight, and someone wrote that STEC considers the addition of a GPSS a minor modification to their existing stc's for their autopilots, so only a logbook entry is required. I'll double check with stec tomorrow.

Should the oxidation on the outside of the connectors on the Wentworth unit pose any concern? I was told by a few people that these units are pretty bulletproof.

I have one that came with the plane and it's a great gizmo. However, mine has an intemittent problem. The signal that comes from my 430 to the GPSS signal sometimes fails and when it does, the autopilot won't follow the flight plan anymore. The connections have been checked and are said to be all good. Still the problem occationally rears it's head. So I might very well be concerned about the condition of the connectors. The good news is, when it fails, all you have to do is switch the A/P over to heading mode and continue on. It's just not as precise and won't make the nice calculated turns.

I have one that came with the plane and it's a great gizmo. However, mine has an intemittent problem. The signal that comes from my 430 to the GPSS signal sometimes fails and when it does, the autopilot won't follow the flight plan anymore. The connections have been checked and are said to be all good. Still the problem occationally rears it's head. So I might very well be concerned about the condition of the connectors. The good news is, when it fails, all you have to do is switch the A/P over to heading mode and continue on. It's just not as precise and won't make the nice calculated turns.

do you think it could be the unit itself?

It was only STC'd for the A36 and PA28. Any other aircraft would either be a logbook entry or field approval depending on who does the work. This practice was very common with the 1st and 2nd generation ifr gps's of the 90's. The manufacturer would only STC it for one model aircraft and all others would require a field approval and custom flight manual supplement.

You can look up STC's here.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

• Like 1

It was only STC'd for the A36 and PA28. Any other aircraft would either be a logbook entry or field approval depending on who does the work. This practice was very common with the 1st and 2nd generation ifr gps's of the 90's. The manufacturer would only STC it for one model aircraft and all others would require a field approval and custom flight manual supplement.

You can look up STC's here.

http://rgl.faa.gov/R...me?OpenFrameSet

thanks