Accelerated Instrument Training???

I used PIC to complete my instrument rating earlier this year in the Detroit Mi area and was quite pleased. The pace of the training, in your airplane, and in familiar airspace really work well to get you ready for the rating. I split the training over 3 weekends, 3/3/4 day sessions to balance work, etc. and it still proved to be a good program.

Whoever you choose, go get it done!

Greg

I did not use a specific accelerated training program, however I did quickly go through my instrument training. When I made the decision to finally go ahead and get my instrument rating in 2009, I did it in about six weeks with two to eight flights per week plus studying. I must have flown about 15 hours in one of the weeks and the only reason it was not completed in less than a month was weather and rescheduling the check ride. I went to the check ride with 40.1 hours of simulated or actual instrument time (with an instructor of course) and passed just fine. I had no GPS in the aircraft, so I learned using ILS, VOR, and LOC appraoches - I even had to know the NDB approaches as I had the equipment in the aircraft and used an NBD apprach twice before selling my former plane.

I had to relearn IMC procedures when I purchased N1165N because it had a Garmin 430w which I am amazed by. One day maybe the 650 or 750, but for now, the 430w is all I need.

I got off topic - I feel some sort of accelerated training makes a lot of sense - you learn more in a shorter period of time and gain better retnetion due to the repitition internalizing the procedures. As noted by others however, it is very intense and this type of accelerated training may not be fore everyone. It worked well for me.

You can do this with a proven course as you are looking into or with a dedicated local instructor. I went the latter route, and it was probably his best month in a while (between my 37 hours, ground school, and still having his normal workload - we flew mainly early morning and after sunset.

-Seth

I used PIC for my IFR ticket and would do it no other way for a couple of reasons. One, knowing my schedule had I done this the traditional way I would have gone through long periods without training and would have to relearn what I had learned in the last lesson. Not to mention the atrophy of skills in the meantime. It would have taken forever and in the meantime I would not have gotten full utility out of my Mooney. Two, I actually found it reasonably easy to fit it into my busy schedule because it really only takes a week of vacation with maybe a day on the front or the back. When you add two weekends to a five day work week you already have 9 of the 10 days. Most people can take a week long vacation and tack on a day to either side. I will say that it is an intense 10 days and if you don't have the physical and/or mental stamina and can't put aside all work and home-related issues it is probably not for you. And that's definitely not to say that if you can't handle a 10-day course you can't handle IFR. Not the case at all.

So it is not for everyone but it worked very well for me and the PIC instructor was professional, courteous and dedicated to making me a safe IFR pilot. And he was very demanding in terms of the precision by which I flew which I very much appreciated. I have seen the occasional comments that all they do is prepare you for the check ride but that was definitely not my experience. Of course they prep you for the check ride which is what every CFII should have as a goal. But it was not at all directed toward anything other than being a safe, proficient IFR pilot and I think the results speak volumes to that outcome. It sure has for me.

• Like 1

I did my IR in right at 5 months with an independent instructor and self study. I thought of the accelerated courses like this but in the end I was able to do it in a reasonable amount of time. I set my goal to complete my IR in 4 months and achieved the goal in right at 5. Either way you are setting a goal and a time to complete that goal. You need to make the time to do it and hold to the commitment. Things do come up but in the end it is where you set your priorities.

I used an independant flight instructor and did it in 2 weeks. Had to fly 2x a day, 6 days a week, but the goal was to beat the deadline before I left for Germany in 1994. It helped that the flight school I used had a full motion simulator that was FAA approved. I managed to knock it out, but that was at a time when I was a.) much younger and b.) not married. I prefer the local instructor route because there is not the added pressure of an extended stay with someone that is from out of down due to weather, MX issues, etc. Unless it's in the contract or they are really local to you, that can get rather expensive quickly. Just to many variables that can go wrong to make it worth the risk of not completing it on time. Just my .01 cent... :)

Brian

I take a slightly different tact than those who opt for the accelerated course. Since I'm a sole proprietor and have clients that rely on my availability, I can't schedule lessons for several times a week and as a result have to do with once or twice a week, sometimes skipping weeks at a time. However, I haven't experienced loss of muscle memory or atrophy between lessons and we continue as scheduled without having to redo past lessons (with the exception of holds).

But I will say this about stretching things out. I've become extremely comfortable flying under the hood and in the few actual conditions that I have flown through. I'm not sure if I did everything in a two or three week period that I would feel the same way and think I’d be second guessing myself every step of the way. In other words, the stretch of time involved seems to be an important factor, at least to me, but I'm sure the statistics would show accelerated vs stretched out is no more dangerous.

Lastly, I'm sure my training would have been "naturally" accelerated had I done this in my mid 20's instead of mid 50's.

I did my IR about 18 years ago, but I did the "drink from a firehose" method. I used a couple different instructors and flew between 4-5 times per week and sometimes 2+ hours per lesson. I practiced (with instructor) in actual IMC when it was possible.....much easier than under a hood. No doubt....I got my ass kicked and I was whooped when it was all done....but I feel that it was the best way for me. I cannot speak to the "Accelerated" courses.....I created my own......but I do recommend getting it done in the shortest period possible. This will keep you sharp and IMO make the checkride that much easier.

Good Luck......Get it done!

My opinion only!

Being without an aircraft now and holding European JAR PPL and FAA PPL qualifications I decided to re-activate my FAA license I got in 93. It looks like I will go to the US to go for a full accelerated IFR training 10 days. Focus only on that and get it over with, I did the same 20 years a go...I am bit older now..but ready for the challenge..;-)) In the current European system it is just not happening for people like me who have busy family and professional lives..

Go figure first study 7000 questions pay a fortune for the flying and every approach $$$$

I will try to clock as much old FRASCA simulator time I can get before heading over the other side of the pond. I am thinking of using American Flyers...any feedback..?

Until EASA get's there act back together after 2014~15 meaning implementing a feasible IR qualifications I will be able to fly IFR well on N aircraft or on a EU aircraft with a dual qualified IR instructor next to me...

Look up American Flyers locations. I used them in Morristown, NJ. They have several C172s, instructors and simulators. Scheduling is pretty flexible.

Definitely try to spread as much out or finish the written work in advance. The core training in a short period of time is definitely brain challenging.

Let me know if you need a hand making contact...

Best regards,

-a-

I used Accelerated Flight Training in Long Beach CA. I had been training with three different CFIIs over a year and not really making progress. AFT gave me one week of finish-up training and arranged for a local Designated Examiner to test me. I had already passed the written before I got there. I felt a lot more confident when the week was over and I did pass the oral exam and flight test. I'm 61 years old and my brain still worked well enough for the heavy workload. Good Luck. Ray

I did mine at Bull Head City AZ about 15 years ago. I think it was a 7 day course. I went with the written complete and a few hours with instructors. I left with the ticket and just enough knowledge and skill to be dangerous. I was very conservative for many years into exactly what kind of weather that I would fly (and probably still am).

• 1 year later...

I am happy to have completed my instrument training with AFIT. It had been a long road but one I am glad to have traveled.

It was a pleasure working with AFIT. The entire experience was positive. I enjoyed working through the details with them prior to “signing up”.

Everything went off just as I was expecting. The training with my instructr John was terrific! He is truly a gifted instructor and extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of general aviation.

I have worked with at least ten instructors since I first got involved with general aviation in 1990. John is by far the best.

There are a lot of bad apples in flight training,  AFIT is an stellar example of how to be in the Flight Training business.

I highly recommend them..

I played at the IR for a year or two. Finally got serious and did a 10 day course, it was challenging in many ways. It was about 25-30 years ago, holds, ILS, VOR, and a lot of NDB approaches in 172's. Much of the training in IMC. Passed the checkride the first time with no problem, I even filed IFR for my return flight home that same night. The short course was best for me.

I did mine at my local airport with a local instructor in 4 weeks. I interviewed the instructors to see who would commit to 7am starts every day. I picked one who met my needs and I'll never forget the first flight when he said, "OK, go file an IFR flight plan to x via vors y and z at 3000 ft (right in the cloud cover). We flew every day (5 days/ week) and then I took my checkride. Passed AOK. Best training I ever did since my PPL.

BILL