New video Flying in Guatemala

Oscar Avalle

I took off from La Aurora International Mggt and landed at Rio Dulce, which is a private field owned by the Aeroclub de Guatemala. Very narrow runway...

Found the Rio Dulce airport on Google Earth. When its picture was taken by the satellite, the runway you landed on was 30.

Guatemala looks like a fun place to fly!

Joe, yes the runway is still 30 and 12. It is a one hour flight from Guatemala City. The scenary is amazing with the volcanos, the lake, the sea and the mountains.

Guatemala is a great place to fly, with some caveats...

Surprisingly, you are always under radar control with a squawk code. So ATC sees you all the time and talks to you and is ready to help. I even visited one of their Centers and it is really nice and modern. Great English. All flights need to file a flight plan, VFR and IFR. No night VFR. and there are no VFR charts (for IFR I use Jeppview, but most of the MEA are above 10K, which for no turbo aspirated M20C is sometimes a problem). The ONC charts are no longer available, so you have to rely on normal highway maps.

Weather reporting is not that great, no NEXRAD for example... Lots of CB and Thunderstorms... weather changes very fast, specially in the PM. Stormscope is critical, You have to be always ready with a plan B in case you run into weather which is rather normal. But all things considered it is a great place to fly and the aviation community is really nice and friendly.

Mechanics are FAA cerfitied, reasonable and their work is great, but SLOW!!!!. So I did a lot of upgrades, from avionics, to interior, etc. I am even now thinking of having my M20C painted...

• 1 year later...

I did fly also to the Atlantic Coast. Puerto Barrios, Rio Dulce and last week to Roatan in Honduras. Great that you are relocating to Guatemala. It is a great place and a great place for flying. If there is anything I can help let me know, otherwise send me an emal when you are here so we can have a coffee. oavalle@gmail.com.

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Oscar