Thermawing on a Mooney?

I don't know about RainX but Pledge does wonders on my windshield, I just apply before any flight. Learned my lesson a while ago when I had to land sideways. TKS fluid and dust on your windshield make for some blurry vision. Was testing the system in CAVU weather and had to call up approach and tell them I had zero forward visibility.

Dunno. As well, I am not certain that something that is not as aggressive as a superhydrophobic compound should even be considered for anti-icing.

Sent from my iPad

I wouldn't consider anything that's not approved or proven for in flight anti icing. The hydrophobic materials seem like they would be promising but here is an interesting article with regards to that:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/frost-formation-1222.html

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Does it make any sense to spread TKS fluid on surfaces prior to flight. Or does it spread and then go away...

At a flight school that I used, they deiced planes in the morning with a garden sprayer with windshield fluid in it...

Obviously, not an approved deicer for FIKI either...

This would be an attempt to improve things while getting out of icing conditions.

-a-

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Does it make any sense to spread TKS fluid on surfaces prior to flight. Or does it spread and then go away...

At a flight school that I used, they deiced planes in the morning with a garden sprayer with windshield fluid in it...

Obviously, not an approved deicer for FIKI either...

This would be an attempt to improve things while getting out of icing conditions.

-a-

I don't use TKS fluid to pre spray the airplane, too expensive. I use RV antifreeze in a 1 gallons garden sprayer, does the trick and has pretty good holding power on the ground when it's snowing. Windshield fluid freezes too quickly and too low of a temp.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was just curious if there were any old timers around here that used to use this product.  It was given to me by a fellow colleague who is also a Mooney owner that has TKS these days but used this product on his previous Mooney in years past as an anti icing solution.

I was just curious if there were any old timers around here that used to use this product.  It was given to me by a fellow colleague who is also a Mooney owner that has TKS these days but used this product on his previous Mooney in years past as an anti icing solution.

Did it work?

Just curious - as I do have TKS.

I was just curious if there were any old timers around here that used to use this product. It was given to me by a fellow colleague who is also a Mooney owner that has TKS these days but used this product on his previous Mooney in years past as an anti icing solution. Did it work? Just curious - as I do have TKS.
I hope so. If not then he's trying to kill me. ;-) Seriously though, he said that it worked amazingly well. I can only imagine how well the NASA stuff works then. http://nari.arc.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/Dynys_2011_DraftReport.pdf

Is it a spray can filled with TKS fluid?

-a-

Its a hydrophobic chemical that was available years ago and used as an anti ice coating on aircraft surfaces.<br /><br />http://www.vortexaviation.com/icg.html<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rain X won't help prevent icing. Several years back I was flying a bizjet that had a coating failure of the water shedding coating that is applied to the aircraft's glass windshields to keep rain from "smearing" and making the windshield impossible to see through. (Think of a VERY expensive permanent Rain-X application.) Gulfstream had us apply Rain-X until they could get a team out to reapply the permanent coating. For the two weeks that I flew the airplane with Rain-X, you would still get the normal amount of ice accumulation on the windscreen during icing encounters.

Rain-X worked OK on the jet, but we had to reapply it two or three times while we were waiting for the team to reapply the water repellent coating. It only seemed to work for one rain encounter. Rain-X is great stuff for water dispersal on auto glass, but I don't know how well or how safe it would be to use on plexiglass. 

• Like 1

Who remembers this stuff? rypunute.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I remember that stuff. Sporty's used to sell it. I bought some way back when I was flying a Cheyenne III. It didn't seem to make any difference. If I remember correctly, the half-empty can was still sitting on the hangar shelf when we moved out of the hangar. It's probably still there. 

• 8 months later...

Just spoke to the company, and YES it is possible that a Thermwing could be available for the Mooney!! If theres anyone else besides me that would like to add this to their Mooney ( I think it would require you having two alternators in your plane) Let me know and I can let them know how many initial orders they might expect if they decide to apply for an STC. Here's the link if anyone needs to see it.

http://www.kellyaerospace.com/thermawing-aircraft-deice.html

I remember that stuff. Sporty's used to sell it. I bought some way back when I was flying a Cheyenne III. It didn't seem to make any difference. If I remember correctly, the half-empty can was still sitting on the hangar shelf when we moved out of the hangar. It's probably still there. 

I have half a can on the hanger shelf... and I was out of flying for over 20 years so it sat in my garage for a very long time. Guess I have a problem with tossing stuff out...