ZamF16

Failing KCS-55A gyro

3 hours ago, ZamF16 said:

OK, so here we go again.  After replacing the KG-102 in 2012, with an overhauled gyro, I now have a problem with the HSI not staying slaved.  It slaves to the correct heading at power-up , but then after a little maneuvering the heading wanders off.  If I deselect slave and reselect it, the heading corrects itself, but then wanders off again as soon as I start maneuvering.  Does this sound like the gyro again?

Jerry at Porter Strait in Tulsa is a good choice.

I asked them to do an "Inspect and Repair as Necessary" on the KG-102A Gyro. It needed one capacitor and the optical switch needed to be re-calibrated. It cost $320 plus shipping. If it had needed a complete overhaul it would have been $1595. 

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Jerry at Porter Strait in Tulsa is a good choice.

I asked them to do an "Inspect and Repair as Necessary" on the KG-102A Gyro. It needed one capacitor and the optical switch needed to be re-calibrated. It cost $320 plus shipping. If it had needed a complete overhaul it would have been $1595. 

Called Porter Strait this afternoon based on your previous post.  I am pulling the gyro and getting it in the mail to them.

It's very easy to remove - two minutes maybe. Undo the two screws that sit at the front of the unit (toward the front of the airplane), undo the connector in back and it comes right out.

Sent the KG-102 gyro to Porter Strait in Tulsa.  The main culprit of my problem was the optics out of calibration.  However, they found a lot wear on the gyro bearings, so it ended up needing a complete overhaul.  It lasted 4 years and about 400 hours.

I considered transitioning to a solid state option, but for the cost I am going forward with overhaul of my mechanical gyro.  I will consider an upgrade next time the gyro goes out.

• Like 1

It would have been about $300 if I could have gotten by with a recalibration, but the worn bearings will start to cause problems soon.  The cost for the overhaul is $1595.

Edited by ZamF16

Another vote for Bob based on my experience with him. He was "THE" man at King for many years. I seriously doubt anyone knows more about them than Bob. My bill was (without checking) $450

Porter Strait did a fantastic job overhauling the KG-102.  In addition to completely overhauling and repainting the whole gyro, they added a shock indicator to the outside of it and the packaging in which they sent it.  The optics were out of calibration and the bearings showed significant wear, which they attributed to excessive vibration.  I am not sure where the vibration is coming from.   None is apparent in the cockpit, although it might feel completely different in the tail of the airplane.

It is reinstalled and working great.  Hopefully this one will last longer than 4 years and 400 hours.  

Edited by ZamF16

On 9/6/2016 at 3:03 PM, PTK said:

Yes. Had same issue a few years ago. It was in the gyro. It cost me about 300$. Take it to a good avionics shop. May also want to speak with Bob Bramble, (913)680-4169. Very knowledgeable on King and honest gentleman.

Well I flew the beginning portions of my IFR checkride today partial panel due to my HSI not (keeping up or reading the right heading for a good 20 mins of the flight). I've had issues with it being slow to slave properly over the last few weeks. Is Bob still the guy to go to, does he do repairs or just give guidance?  THANKS!

I'm in lower Alabama if anyone has some good shops to recommend. 

+1 interested, too.

I am going to check the connection to my flux detector/gate.  I read earlier in the thread that we could try contact cleaner to clean the (blue?) connection.  Where would this be located.

19 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

Well I flew the beginning portions of my IFR checkride today partial panel due to my HSI not (keeping up or reading the right heading for a good 20 mins of the flight). I've had issues with it being slow to slave properly over the last few weeks. Is Bob still the guy to go to, does he do repairs or just give guidance?  THANKS!

I'm in lower Alabama if anyone has some good shops to recommend. 

I am in central Alabama and had Bob rework mine a couple of years ago. Once I got it back, I saw how fast it was supposed to spin up and realized how badly mine had been working previously.

Yeah, Bob Bramble is still the guy from what I know and experienced.

• Like 1

I’m not sure Bob can still get the parts from BK? BK has limited the number of repair shops. Might want to look for a used unit. 

Without a doubt I’d buy @LANCECASPER ‘s unit that Bob recently overhauled. 102a