Which battery?

Well, it seems that my less than 2 year old Gill G35 is dying a slow death. I've read up a bit on airplane batteries and it seems that the Concorde RG-35RXC is the best option. So, what's your opinion?

Gel cell batteries seem to have lower maintenance requirements and don't spill acid on your aluminum investment. I switched to Gill gel cells on my M20C about eight years ago. Two to three years of battery life in a tough environment.

I only have Gil experience, but Concorde seems to have the better record at Mooneyspace.

I currently have a two battery system. Unless I swap out both batteries, I am stuck with Gil wet cell batteries to maintain balance during charging.

The only concern for the gel batteries is high altitude flight...they are not vented, and MAY be physically strained at high altitudes???

Does anyone have deeper knowledge on the subject of Gel Cells at altitude, and mixture of Battery Types/manufacturers?

Hope this helps.

-a-

Lood-

I had my battery die slowly in my former F model in 2010. It was a Gil and it had lasted almost four years. The Concorde RG-35RXC is the one to go with.

I have two Gils in the Missile now on the rack, and when they die, I hope that I'm able to replace them with Concordes. I hope that with the trickle charger installed (only on the Missile, not on the F model), that will still be many years off, but I know at this time if they were to go TU, I'd replace them with Concordes.

I too had to jump the F using a car, and I had no external hookup so I opened the battery panel, started the plane, and then buttoned it up twice before replacing the battery. The Missile has an external hook up which I have not had to use. I have my trickle charger wires snaked up to the opening for the external power source.

-Seth

I was in the same situation a few months ago and posted a similar question on the forums. There was a significant discussion on that post. You might want to go back and look it up. I bought the Concorde and have been very pleased.

Gel cell batteries seem to have lower maintenance requirements and don't spill acid on your aluminum investment. I switched to Gill gel cells on my M20C about eight years ago. Two to three years of battery life in a tough environment.

I only have Gil experience, but Concorde seems to have the better record at Mooneyspace.

I currently have a two battery system. Unless I swap out both batteries, I am stuck with Gil wet cell batteries to maintain balance during charging.

The only concern for the gel batteries is high altitude flight...they are not vented, and MAY be physically strained at high altitudes???

Does anyone have deeper knowledge on the subject of Gel Cells at altitude, and mixture of Battery Types/manufacturers?

Hope this helps.

-a-

-a-,

Since the two batteries in the Ovation are relatively independent, I think you could replace them one at a time. Isn't the non-selected battery just on a small low level charge and otherwise is not connected?

Steve

Lood, went out to fly today and my battery was dead after just flying for an hour a week ago. Not really surprised since the Gill G35 it had in it seemed to be growing weaker throughout the past year. It wasn't much older then yours, having been replaced in June 2010. First time in over four years and 300+ hours in my plane that it refused to go flying.

I ordered a Concorde RG-35RXC this afternoon from Aircraft Spruce. Aviation Consumer rated the Concorde batteries superior to the Gill in their review from a year ago.

Take care - Jim

Steve,

That's what I understand. One battery is selected and the other is trickle charging. But, does it require them both to be identical or can they both different?

Example:

Batt 1: Old vented Gil battery.

Batt 2: New gel cell Concorde battery.

The system is so well thought out, it would have warnings every where not to mix types or something similar. Or did I forget those warnings?

That's my current battery concern. My dual battery experience is extremely limited...

Best regards,

-a-

Seth

You can charge both with a trickle charger. A Battery Minder is great. And yes, with the trickle charger on a battery will "work fine, last a long time". I had a crappy old flooded Gill 25 last 7 years, using a horrid little no brain trickle charger.

Gary

I had a Gill and it used to be at annual, there would need to be some sort of treatment of the battery box. I looked in the logs and all the previous owners too. Every year, or every other year, treated battery box. I got a Concord and problem solved. I don't always fly every two weeks and it hasn't been a problem. I don't even have a battery charger yet. The Concord rocks... so far.

The first, somewhat owner assisted, annual I did on my plane, the Mooney Service Center suggested spraying the inside of the battery box with a coat of spray on undercoating. You can get a can at any auto parts store. Just be sure to cover the drain hole in the bottom of the box so you don't spray over it. Only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to protect your battery box.

Jim

Well, it seems that my less than 2 year old Gill G35 is dying a slow death. I've read up a bit on airplane batteries and it seems that the Concorde RG-35RXC is the best option. So, what's your opinion?

Not seems......IS.

I believe you said you didn't check the water level in your Gil before your recent problems....even more reason to get a sealed Concorde.

Steve,

That's what I understand. One battery is selected and the other is trickle charging. But, does it require them both to be identical or can they both different?

Example:

Batt 1: Old vented Gil battery.

Batt 2: New gel cell Concorde battery.

The system is so well thought out, it would have warnings every where not to mix types or something similar. Or did I forget those warnings?

That's my current battery concern. My dual battery experience is extremely limited...

Best regards,

-a-

-a-,

I don't know of any limitation or guidance that says you have to have the same make battery on both sides. Seems like that is more applicable to aircraft having two 12-V batteries in series. Makes sense that you'd need two of the same make and age in that case. Do you have just one battery that you're wanting to replace?

Steve

Steve,

I have a pair of Gill 24 V. batteries that were different ages ( one old and one new) from when I bought my plane. One went dead over this winter. The remaining one is clearly not as strong as the new replacement.

Replacing both at the same time is painfully expensive. $600 for the pair.

I have been using Gill batteries for over a decade with mediocre performance.

Information from this site indicates that the Concorde is a better device.

I would like to swap out the older Gill for a new gel cell Concorde when the opportunity arises.

Charging system allows one battery to trickle charge while the other battery is in use.

How different can the batteries be and still work as designed in this dual set-up?

It seems that some level of difference is acceptable. Charging at 28V for a 24V battery leaves some room for difference I suppose.

Overall my concern is that one battery will be charged or discharged by the other....

Thanks for the advice.

Best regards,

-a-

Removed the battery this morning to check the water levels. All cells were where they should be and then I also discovered that the battery had already started to leak onto my brand new battery box. It was with great pleasure that I chucked it onto the scrap heap.

Interestingly though, a good friend that hangars his self launching glider on my farm also uses Concorde. Whenever the glider is hangared, he connects the battery, through a regulator, to a solar panel and his battery has been going for 8 years now without any problems.

I've ordered my Concorde RG-35RXC and it will be arriving next week Tuesday. Thanks to all for your advice.

-a-,

My guess is that in an Ovation you could have dissimilar batteries, like a Gill and a Concorde, and it would be fine. On aircraft using two 12V batteries in series, a 58 Baron for example, you have problems with non-matching batteries that have different internal resistances. This causes one battery to get a higher voltage drop than the other.

Guess you should check with a good mechanic, or maybe the maintenance manuals, to know for sure!

Steve

Bump the Concorde option. Mine has been in for two years now. No service required, and extra cranking power over my old Gill.

Will anyone take the Gill side of this discussion?

-a-

Ummm... If any Mooneyspace member wants my old Gill they can have it. I think it may be just fine. I switched batteries in a desperate attempt to get to Kerrville last year. There I was, ready to embark on my flight to Texas with bags in the baggage compartment, preflight done and everything all in order. Turn the key and Rrrr..rrr...rrrrr...rrrrrr..... Charged it up and still... no joy. My only hope to still make it to Kerrville was rush off to Top Gun in Stockton, buy a new battery and swap it out. Problem was, it was the starter that died, not the battery. I took a chance and it didn't pay off. I wasted money, but I'm OK with it because at annual this year, the battery box was good to go!

Anyhow, anybody want my Gill battery? No, I won't ship it anywhere. That's the best I can do in favor of the Gill.

<edit> Well, I might fly it to somebody in California to give me a reason to go flying if you buy me a sandwich. ;)

Aw, screw it... I'll do it without the sandwich...

• 3 weeks later...

Another satisfied Concorde owner -- for an unbelievable 8th year! All of the Gills i had before the Concorde lasted 3 or 4 years. I expected that after 4 years that it would eventually fail, but the IA doing the annuals says it is showing no signs of wearing out. Granted I keep a maintainer on it during spells when I don't fly often (winters). I have no explanation for why it is lasting so long -- but I am not complaining.