Poll - would you rent a turboprop vs owning your mooney

Would you rent a turbo-prop or own a piston-engined aircraft?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rent a Piper Mirage (PA46) with jetprop for $250 per hour dry + 40 gph Jet-A, instead of your mooney? (280 KTAS at FL280, pressurized, de-iced boots)

• Yes - I like the pressurization
    • Yes - I like the speed
    • Yes - I like the turbine reliability
    • Yes - combinations of the above or other reason
    • No - too expensive
    • No - owning has scheduling advantges
    • No - it wont be a Mooney
    • No - attached to my Mooney
    • No - other reason

I just became a founding member of JumpJet (www.jumpjet.com). For $2350 a month I can fly up to 10 trips a year in a private jet, pretty much anywhere I need to go in the US. As a founding member, I get to bring one guest free on every flight for as long as I'm a member. This is actually palatable when compared to flying first class, and it will be a lot nicer to be able to launch out of Denver Centennial with none of the TSA BS.

I just became a founding member of JumpJet (www.jumpjet.com). For $2350 a month I can fly up to 10 trips a year in a private jet, pretty much anywhere I need to go in the US. As a founding member, I get to bring one guest free on every flight for as long as I'm a member. This is actually palatable when compared to flying first class, and it will be a lot nicer to be able to launch out of Denver Centennial with none of the TSA BS.

Pretty website, I'm suspicious...I predict them to be gone and out of business within 12 months, I'm willing to bet 50 gallons of 100LL on it ;-) Any takers?

I find it funny they didn't include Omaha or Jackson Hole. There is more money between these two places combined than the rest of US of A. Maybe because everyone here who could afford it already has a private jet? I was sitting at Dornan's deck this summer, drinking some wine, and counted over 30 private jet arrivals in less than an hour. Plus some turbo props, plus 2 commercial flights.

JumpJet...

There isn't enough information on there website to even understand what I would get for what I would pay for. The pictures they have seem to be of other peoples equipment. Their pilot has extensive hellicopter experience.

One limitation that was clear, I think...Two weeks advanced notice. That's a challenge for me as a service guy. I don't get to wait two weeks to save money or choose to fly on a corporate jet.

Would we sharing the flight with other people?

Are they even in the flying business yet? I couldn't tell.

Maybe I missed something... Their website crashed my iPad a few times...

Back to Mooney things...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a turboprop and currently own an Eagle. The answer to your poll is - it depends!!

The mission is the determining factor. The turboprop has wonderful capabilities, albeit at a price. If it's worth it to you to pay the price to accomplish the mission, then that's the right plane for you. The right plane for any person depends much more on individual, often non-technical, factors than on anything objectively measurable about any particular plane.

I enjoyed flying my turboprop, and I enjoy flying my Mooney. Each has its challenges. To paraphrase Lance Armstrong, it's not about the plane.

Dennis Wolf