Sun Visors

laytonl

<<<The problem with the Rosens loosening and not staying put is apparently real, as it persists to surface. I understand they are aware of the issue. However I don't think that's really sufficient.>>>

:huh:

Rather than some pontificating theory, I prefer more empirical and pragmatic data.

The Rosen's are quality optics, and the Laser third party visors, when they were available, were less so, when I compared them. Both had strong and weak points.

Like anything mechanical, sun visors need occasional adjustment, are easy to manhandle, and since they articulate, have lots of settings. When I mentioned the problem to Rosen at SNF, they told me about when I purchased them, with no prompting from me....in 2008. They said they had some bad metal frames pieces that didn't start showing problems until in the field for a while. I found them to be much more proactive and reasonable than say, the robber barons at Garmin. :rolleyes:

Anyway mine are as tight as a new born baby's butt now, and like any visors, can be tough to move into the best position, and then keep adjusting as the sun and the plane move. Big is good for blocking the sun, but not so much for ease of positioning, and no, I don't use them unless the sun is extremely strong.

Everything in aviation, like in life, is a tradeoff.

• Like 2

Optically anything is an improvement over the stock visor. I don't know if the Lasars are any different than Rosens in that dept. I'll probably pickup a pair of either at some point. But not Rosens until they correct their known issues! After dropping 400 bucks I certainly don't want to be told:

"...oh yes we know of this issue! They don't stay put! Please go to your local Home Depot and buy some Locktite. Then apply it to the screws to help hold the visor in place. Try that! We'll also send you some washers in the mean time..."

Really folks?!

Regarding Lasar visors on a '67 F:

I got the Lasar visors with the clamp-on adapter from, strangely enough, Lasar.

Call Dan at Lasar Parts dept (800) 954-5619; he can tell you availability / lead time.

Jim

I'm guessing it was a long time ago. I did my annual there last year and they had nothing for me then.

• 10 months later...

Regarding Lasar visors on a '67 F:

I got the Lasar visors with the clamp-on adapter from, strangely enough, Lasar.

Call Dan at Lasar Parts dept (800) 954-5619; he can tell you availability / lead time.

Jim

I just called Dan -- he was certainly unsure as to when they might order more, but he took my name/number and said he'd let me know. I got the impression that if several folks called asking for them then he might get more motivated to make them available to us. I discussed the Rosen's with him and he agreed the "turbulence causing the Rosens to fall" issue is in fact a problem... So, if you need sun visors for your Mooney, call Dan!

If I can get them, I want the Lasers.

I just called Dan -- he was certainly unsure as to when they might order more, but he took my name/number and said he'd let me know.  I got the impression that if several folks called asking for them then he might get more motivated to make them available to us.  I discusses the Rosen's with him and he agreed the "turbulence causing the Rosens to fall" issue is in fact a problem...  So, if you need sun visors for your Mooney, call Dan!

Did he say what the price would be?

I just called Dan -- he was certainly unsure as to when they might order more, but he took my name/number and said he'd let me know. I got the impression that if several folks called asking for them then he might get more motivated to make them available to us. I discusses the Rosen's with him and he agreed the "turbulence causing the Rosens to fall" issue is in fact a problem... So, if you need sun visors for your Mooney, call Dan!

Don't hold your breath!

He took my name and number two years ago! I called him a couple times subsequent to that with no luck.

If they're not going to make them they should say so and don't keep people hanging forever.

They're not that much cheaper than Rosens if they make you wait years!

The facts, as of ~ 2009: 1. The Laser visors are much smaller, made by a 3rd party and future supply is out of their control. 2. Price, given SNF Rosen discount was almost the same then. A little over $300 IIRC, and they have different sizes and costs based on model year. Not so with Laser. 3. Laser doesn't know what their supplier will charge, what the quality will be or even if they can obtain them. 4. The Rosen visors are larger, to block more sun, have better optics, are thicker and heavier, and require less in-flight adjustment, but some need occasional tightening. 5. Visors are what Rosen does, and they do it well. Laser was and is at the mercy of a third party. They haven't had visors in stock for years! I compared the Rosens with what I believe was the last set or Laser visors available, at MAPA maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and as much as I like to support Laser, it was an easy choice for me. Since there's only one supplier offering them now, if you need new visors it's a simple choice. If you want the smaller OEM's, you can have mine for $125 + shipping.

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread... I'm getting tired of staring into the sun and need to add visors.  Looking at LASER and they're still out of stock and Rosen only has visors for 1968 on.  What is everyone else doing for visors on our older aircraft (before 1968)?

Mine are in good shape but I don't know what type they are but if the plexiglass starts to break down I would just use it as a template and replace with original hardware. As I was flying yesterday for some reason I was looking at the visors with interest and seemed like something one could fabricate if you had acces to a machine shop and someone with some knowledge. Maybe when I retire I'm going to get me a vertical mill and a lathe and start making Mooney parts.

37 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Reviving an old thread... I'm getting tired of staring into the sun and need to add visors.  Looking at LASER and they're still out of stock and Rosen only has visors for 1968 on.  What is everyone else doing for visors on our older aircraft (before 1968)?

let me know if you learn anything.  I think our '65s aren't eligible for Rosen b/c of where the visors mount.  IIRC, our planes are missing some type of reinforcement necessary to support it.  anyway, I haven't come across anything else.  I would like something tasteful if it were a reasonably priced (haha) option.

Do you have the place to screw them into the tubular frame?  The easy part would be the stainless rod 2 adel clamps and a sheet of tinted plexiglass.    They attach to a round bolt with a set screw that screws into the mount in a frame.  It would be a quick lathe project.

2 hours ago, bonal said:

Mine are in good shape but I don't know what type they are but if the plexiglass starts to break down I would just use it as a template and replace with original hardware. As I was flying yesterday for some reason I was looking at the visors with interest and seemed like something one could fabricate if you had acces to a machine shop and someone with some knowledge. Maybe when I retire I'm going to get me a vertical mill and a lathe and start making Mooney parts.

I'm not sure which ones you are talking about. I have the Lasar ones. Replacing the Plexiglas is easy. But the fully articulating hardware is impossible to find.

I think I need more information to do what is being suggested; or pictures.

Just now, BigTex said:

I've got that set up, but it doesn't work very well in my C.  It's still brand new with all the hardware and the paper is still on the lens. $50 if you want it. But I didn't like it.