Piper Arrow IV

Seth

My Mooney is down with two damaged cylinders (different thread) and I was planning to fly to a wedding on Saturday. Exactly one year ago, September 2011, I was between aircraft (I had delivered my M20F to the new owner and my M20J Missile 300 was having it's engine overhauled as part of the purchase) and rented a Piper Arrow for a wedding. I flew from Maryland to Knoxville, TN) So, excatly one year later, I find myself renting another Piper Arrow IV (same type of aircraft, just a different airplane and flight school) for another wedding, this time in North Carolina.

I've got about 10 hours in an Arrow at this point, but I haven't flown one for a year now. I'm going up for a checkout flight on Thursday (I would have gone tonight but over the weekend a student burned out the starter), and then will take it on Saturday for the trip.

I'm sure it will be a fine flight, and like I said, I've got 10 hours in an Arrow IV (T-Tail, just like this one) but are there any gotchas?

Thanks,

-Seth

As jetdriven said, not as solid but it's a fine flying machine. Over the years I have logged 100 hours in an Arrow IV (normal and turbo) and always loved it. The one thing one has to be mindful of is that the high elevator loses effectiveness when flaring so attention to speed is pretty crucial. Also, on takeoff the tail is out of the propwash and the plane tends to sway from side to side.

Funny; I had to rent an arrow to go fetch my sick bird down near Raleigh recently. First time I flew an arrow since I've had the m20r; was a great reminder of how much I love the upgrade! Also, before the Mooney, I owned a really nice '81 Arrow IV - honestly it flew incredibly nicely - the t tail made for nice handling in the air up and out of the prop wash. Just remember an Arrow IV is less of a short field machine as a result though, and you can't prematurely rotate. You have no prop wash on the elevator.

I flew the Aarow yesterday evening at dusk, but oh my goodness does she drop like a rock when you pull power. My first landing was FIRM, but the rest I was ready for the drop. The Aarow is not a bad plane but makes me appreciate my Mooney more.

-Seth

I've heard it said that the Cherokees all fly "like a sewer lid" when you pull power. My plane, on the other hand, takes a while to notice when I pull the throttle out on short final, as soon as I clear the trees [150 agl, ~250 yards from threshhold]. I still land on the third stripe.

Jim - Not Shabby at all - I was looking at the PA-28-180 when I originally purchased my former M20F. Great plane, but I still prefer the Mooney. I would have probably purchased the PA-28-180 over a C-172.

My flight this weekend to NC went well. The PA-28R Aarow IV I flew did not have an autopilot, so it reminded me of flying my former M20F. However, my F could be trimmed to be much more hands off. You had to watch the Aarow the entire time. However, I felt comfortable and did shoot the ILS into RDU breaking out of about 400 foot cielings. Light to moderate rain but a smooth ride through the rain. Once I landed however, the heavy rain moved in. I made the wedding just fine and the flight home today was smooth as well. I was vectored nearly on top of IAD (Dulles) on the way home - usually they bring us north and west around the DC area east of IAD and west of the FRZ. However today, I was taken just to the North and nearly on top of Dulles at 5000. This was not an issue because when you pull power on the Arrow, as you know, it drops like a rock.

I'm glad to know I have a backup aircraft if needed now at my home base, but I want to get my Mooney up and flying again.

Thank you again to the collective wisdom of MooneySpace for the tips with the Aarow IV.

-Seth