I have a Robotow for my 20J. Works great, and I have a fair incline from the ramp area to the hangar. When I first looked at the RoboTow website, it did not list Mooneys, but they do sell the unit with the necessary hardware. Just call them for prices, etc. LASAR uses their RoboTow to move the Mooneys they service, and it was here that I first saw the unit. I keep the battery plugged into the charger in my hangar; only removing it when I want to move the aircraft. Plenty of power, no gasoline, and really easy to use. A few Robotow owners have added wheels under the main part of the unit, and this makes it a pleasure to use. There is a thread on Mooneyspace that discusses the wheels, and how to mount them. I have a photo of the RoboTow connected to my airplane in my gallery (Bennett's gallery).

• Like 1

I also use a robotow on my m20k. The first time I tried to push my Mooney into the hangar I knew I needed something to help move the plane as getting it up the incline and over the door frame would be just to difficult for one person. It has worked great. I have had mine for almost 2 years and it was one of the best purchases I have made for my plane. I got my robotow at sporty's pilot shop and got a pretty good deal on it. They specifically list the Mooney on the site when you are purchasing the robotow. You just need to make sure you purchase the one made for the Mooney as the others attach a little differently for other aircraft. The robotow makes moving my mooney in and out of the hangar a breeze as opposed to a real tough ordeal. I woudn't be without one if you have a hangar with an incline.

We have an electric PowerTow unit. As Fantom will attest to, I'm small in stature and don't have a lot of extra upper body strength to push the plane back by myself.

When I fly alone the unit is worth its weight in gold, however, the electric aspect is a royal pain. The cord is always getting tangled or run over by the unit. Then once the plane is tucked into the hangar I have to wind the 50 foot extension cord into a neat bundle so that it doesn't get tangled for its next use.

Given the choice, I would purchase a gas unit or one that is battery operated.

I think i would take the one from Redline Aviation, much lighter and uses Milwaukee Brand for power.

I have looked really closely at the battery for the robotow and the Milwaukee line of battery and I believe they are the same. If you look at the charger it too looks exactly like the Milwaukee. I think Robotow just put their own stickers on it. The hard part is finding the 28V Milwaukee battery. I have yet to see one in any of the stores.

• Like 1

The Milwaukee 28 V lithium batteries can be found on the web at prices well below RoboTow's price for replacement batteries. ($135 v over $200). They do appear to be the same unit. On the other hand, shortly after purchasing my RoboTow the battery I found that the battery would not charge fully, nor hold a charge. I returned the battery to RoboTow (after receiving a RMA number), and they immediately replaced the battery with a new one. Good service, and something to consider when replacing the battery. Since then I have had about two years of fairly frequent service, and the current battery seems to be just fine. I really like the absence of electrical cables. I had an electric corded device for my prior Mooney, and I was always running over the cord, or moving it out of the way.

We have an electric PowerTow unit. As Fantom will attest to, I'm small in stature and don't have a lot of extra upper body strength to push the plane back by myself.

When I fly alone the unit is worth its weight in gold, however, the electric aspect is a royal pain. The cord is always getting tangled or run over by the unit. Then once the plane is tucked into the hangar I have to wind the 50 foot extension cord into a neat bundle so that it doesn't get tangled for its next use.

Given the choice, I would purchase a gas unit or one that is battery operated.

Maybe small in stature, but LARGE in spirit.

Mike, I have an electric power tow that is not a problem. I unplug it before use and have the cord on a simple automatic re-winder I picked up at Lowe's.

Most everyone on the list is probably tired of hearing about my battery powered tow. The only downside is that it is not really portable. Ie. only use at my hangar. Incidentally, I'm about to build another one for me and let my original one go for what it takes to build another.

As an option, consider what I did with an old lawn mower. I removed the mower deck and had trailer hitches welded on front and back. It cost about $120 total and works fine. The photo is in my gallery if it doesn't post here. I doesn't post so check out my gallery. Ray

I use the Robotow and I LOVE it. You can also buy aftermarket replacement rechargable battery for less than 1/2 the price if the Robotow factory issue. Couple things I learned to maximize the effectiveness of the Robotow...........keep your tire pressure at max psi and a wet front tire = Robotow no like that much.

Worth every single penny I paid. Works fantastic. Allows me to move my plane in and out of a tight hanger space with confidence I'm not going to bust anything off. I have a slight incline into my hanger. With very little effort, this baby pushes my plane into position. When front tire is wet, a little extra force down on the wheen with the Robotow ensures it won't slip. Robotow works fine even when tanks are full.

I would also recommend you put something on the handle that is visible from windshield when it is in place on the airplane. The handle is such you can not see if it has been left on the plane. Sounds simple but had someone hit the start button with the Robotow still in place......rut-row.

Preserve your hamstrings and spine, buy a Robotow.

I would also recommend you put something on the handle that is visible from windshield when it is in place on the airplane. The handle is such you can not see if it has been left on the plane. Sounds simple but had someone hit the start button with the Robotow still in place......rut-row.

Preserve your hamstrings and spine, buy a Robotow.

If you though forgetting the Robotow was bad try forgetting the hand tow bar. I always look at the nose wheel just before getting in.

I have a Robotow also and love it. I added 3" wheels to mine and just wheel it to the nose wheel. Veery convenient for a lazy guy like me. Tried posting pictures but could not get them uploaded.

José

• 8 years later...

I have an opportunity to buy a Robotow from a hangar neighbor. I am currently using a gas Powertow EZ 40. My initial experience with the Robotow is that it takes more effort to connect and disconnect to the nose wheel. The advantages however are outlined well in this old thread.  Looking for experiences from anyone who has used both and which do you prefer? 

I have owned and used both the Robotow and the Sidewinder.  The Sidewinder seems to have more power, can be folded and carried in the plane, and is well made. 

The traction of the Sidewinder is better, even in snow.  I got rid of the Robotow and now just have the sidewinder.  I would go that route even given the price difference.

John Breda

On 1/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, M20F-1968 said:

I have owned and used both the Robotow and the Sidewinder.  The Sidewinder seems to have more power, can be folded and carried in the plane, and is well made. 

The traction of the Sidewinder is better, even in snow.  I got rid of the Robotow and now just have the sidewinder.  I would go that route even given the price difference.

John Breda

Thanks for your insight John. My hangar neighbor let me have his Robotow to try for a few weeks. I’ve used it twice now and it is fairly easy to operate and does a great job getting the plane up the incline leading to my hangar.  I personally (maybe because I’m accustomed to it) still prefer my gas Powertow EZ. It is easier to connect to the nose wheel and not as “jerky” as the Robotow but smells like a weed eater. The Robotow however can be folded down to fit in the baggage area and taken with me.  The gas monster, not so much. If I didn't already have a tug, I would probably buy the Robo or the Sidewinder.

If anyone here is interested in a like new Robotow Mooney, PM me and I’ll put you in touch with the owner. 

Edited by Eight8Victor

I also have a Powertow EZ I bought from a guy who was parting out an F.  I started it once or twice, bought a new belt for the pulleys underneath the deck, but never used it.  Perhaps you can give me a sense of how you us and its details in operation.  I may take the time to det mine working.  Generally I think the Sidewinder is easier to use, but then there is ice and snow in NE when the Powertow may be better.

John Breda

It was a PIA (that is not Pakistan International Airways) to get my Sidewinder, took about 90 days from order to delivery. Once I got it, you will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Great unit. Easily serviced although none has been needed. I got a red Husky tool bag from Home Depot it fits perfectly inside and I can carry it with me on trips at 21 pounds. I recently did a trip and used it 3 times. Nice not to have to fire up just to get from the fuel pit to parking.

• Like 1