Removing M20J Step

AlanA

My 1979 M20J has a step. I am thinking of removing it. I don't need it because I fly by myself 95% of the time. I'd rather have more speed. Has anyone removed their step? How do you do it? Did it increase your speed at all and if so how much?

Years ago I removed the step from my 78 M20J for a transatlantic flight. I do not recall if there was any speed differance but I would assume that there is. The step on the J is more aerodynamic than on the earlier models so the pickup might be minimal. If memory serves me right it was cut off and an insert welded inside the pipe so that it could be reattached with a bolt on my return. In my Eagle it is already attached with a bolt inside of the fiberglas belly panal. I'd check inside the fairing to see how yours is attached. I would assume it would be easy to remove with either a hacksaw or a wrench.

There is no speed benefit by removing it but there is a lot benefits by having it. The step facilitates getting on board for those unfamiliar or short of stature (kids). It helps on preventing any accidents after that greased landing you made. It keeps you from being sued by someone that fell and broke a hip. In court you may be found liable for removing a safety device. If you do not mind passengers stepping on the flaps when boarding go ahead and remove it. And if someone heavy step on the flaps be ready to readjust it to fix the left roll tendency. You may be very careful on dealing with passenger but when you leave your plane at a tie down there is that curios guy that step on the wing to look inside.

José

• Like 2

Well like anything there s middle ground somewhere and I havent had any issues with anyone stepping on the flaps as I instruct them how to board and deboard just as I instruct them nt to slam the door ECT..... I've removed the strobe underneath and only have min antennas, had all the control surfaces rigged and can cruse at peak egr a 8000 2600 rpm full throttle at 157-158kts so I think with all the clean up its probably added a couple knots but a coupe knots doesn't make much of a difference except to the ego maybe :)

I see no logical reason to remove the step, and it sure makes it easier to get on and off the wing.

If one is unluckly enough to have a gear up, that step absorbs a lot of the punishment, minimizing some damage. Plus having a step increases the ability to fly LOP :P

gary, I think the belly damage saved is offset by bulkhead damage of a 2900 lb plane sitting on the step. That's another type of "getting her on the step" but is not worth an extra 15 miles-an-hour in speed.

May no one here ever find out, one way or the other....just leave my step alone. smiley_flying.gif

Scott, I liked your idea about cutting off the step but modifying the step with a hole to put it back on when/if you need to. You're are going to preflight the plane anyway usually before you passengers ever climb aboard. It would be easy to do then. The other 95% of the time I will leave it off and enjoy a mile or two an hour difference. Hey every little bit of speed helps right?

If you were ever to concern yourself with 'passenger liability' that you assume command of...I'd suggest leave the step in place.

Have you ever 'missed the step' when climbing down? I just don't want to give the attorneys any more fuel than they already have...

• 5 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2012 at 12:42 AM, AlanA said:

My 1979 M20J has a step. I am thinking of removing it. I don't need it because I fly by myself 95% of the time. I'd rather have more speed. Has anyone removed their step? How do you do it? Did it increase your speed at all and if so how much?

Wait until you get sciatica, arthritis or a stroke and you will beg for that step.

José

On 9/16/2012 at 2:09 PM, Piloto said:

There is no speed benefit by removing it but there is a lot benefits by having it. The step facilitates getting on board for those unfamiliar or short of stature (kids). It helps on preventing any accidents after that greased landing you made. It keeps you from being sued by someone that fell and broke a hip. In court you may be found liable for removing a safety device. If you do not mind passengers stepping on the flaps when boarding go ahead and remove it. And if someone heavy step on the flaps be ready to readjust it to fix the left roll tendency. You may be very careful on dealing with passenger but when you leave your plane at a tie down there is that curios guy that step on the wing to look inside.

José

Agreed, keep it.  Mine was removed by a previous owner and my father fell getting out of the Mooney and doesn't want to fly in it any more.  I have considered adding a step but since its usually just my wife and I on the Mooney its not a big deal.

On 9/16/2012 at 4:09 PM, Piloto said:

José

Leave the step or convert to the retractable step the the older models have.  However, I don't think conversion is possible.

As for lookie loos I have been quite curious of the interior of many planes but I guess being an owner and pilot I will not step on a plane and generally not even touch the windows to get a better view unless invited.  I used to go to many cars shows in the past same rules apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

As for lookie loos I have been quite curious of the interior of many planes but I guess being an owner and pilot I will not step on a plane and generally not even touch the windows to get a better view unless invited.  I used to go to many cars shows in the past same rules apply.

When I had my Healey 100/4, it was a constant battle to keep people from bracing themselves on the trunk/rear surround so they could look inside from behind it.Being as it was aluminum, it would dent and bend just by the slightest pressure. like you, I would prefer to look with my eyes unless specifically invited to do otherwise by the owner.

34 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

BTW, I always leave flaps down , usually in takeoff position, this prevents people from accidentally stepping on it, or clipping it with their shoe.

Learned this from my transition training instructor. Seems to work fairly well.

A hangar neighbor has a 1977 M20J that's about twenty or so serial numbers ahead of mine and didn't have a step from the factory.

So apparently they put them on again after deciding that deleting them wasn't so great after all.