Hartzell Prop Hub AD - NEW Alternate Means of Compliance!

I agree it is a pain in the tail to have it done, ferry,downtime,ect.. We travel a few time a month to shops to do the inspection an dynamic balance while the planes are in for there yearly. On our rough ( rich) running bigbore 4 cyld engine the dynamic with the Chadwick, is a very good idea. Lets face it, vibration is a killer. Even low freq vibs that are hard to track down

The HC-C3YR-1RF an the C424 take a lil more time than a C2YK or C53 &C214. But can be smoothed out no problem.

Any prop with indicating red dyed oil should be balances as well. An a major plus is, it's easier on lord mounts, gyros, avionics, crankshaft seals,ect. Most times a balance of .25 I.P.S can't be felt by the driver. Fills smooth. When infact it can be alot smoother. Not trying to high jack the topic. Movin along now

N74795 is right, the inspection is not a new thing. Been around for along time. But it is only on props bolted to large bore 4 cyld engines.Some on the 0-320 on twin Comanches, because they have extended hubs.

You will notice, say a Cherokee 235, same hub as we all have, different blade (F8468) in most cases. But when on a O-540 it does not get affected by the AD. The reason being, the ignition pulses of the engine are smoother than a 0-360.

Keeping them as smooth as we can is one of the best things you can do to prolong the life of a A suffix hub

Thanks for the welcome Carusoam.

Just became a Mooney Nut........ An lovin every min of my new illness...:)

I agree it is a pain in the tail to have it done, ferry,downtime,ect.. We travel a few time a month to shops to do the inspection an dynamic balance while the planes are in for there yearly. On our rough ( rich) running bigbore 4 cyld engine the dynamic with the Chadwick, is a very good idea. Lets face it, vibration is a killer. Even low freq vibs that are hard to track down

The HC-C3YR-1RF an the C424 take a lil more time than a C2YK or C53 &C214. But can be smoothed out no problem.

Any prop with indicating red dyed oil should be balances as well. An a major plus is, it's easier on lord mounts, gyros, avionics, crankshaft seals,ect. Most times a balance of .25 I.P.S can't be felt by the driver. Fills smooth. When infact it can be alot smoother. Not trying to high jack the topic. Movin along now

N74795 is right, the inspection is not a new thing. Been around for along time. But it is only on props bolted to large bore 4 cyld engines.Some on the 0-320 on twin Comanches, because they have extended hubs.

You will notice, say a Cherokee 235, same hub as we all have, different blade (F8468) in most cases. But when on a O-540 it does not get affected by the AD. The reason being, the ignition pulses of the engine are smoother than a 0-360.

Keeping them as smooth as we can is one of the best things you can do to prolong the life of a A suffix hub

Thanks for the welcome Carusoam.

Just became a Mooney Nut........ An lovin every min of my new illness... :)

Theres no Cure......Except maybe a Bonanza....

I picked up the airplane today. I also got to witness the hub being sealed with the dyed oil instead of grease. According to Hartzell, I have the very first Mooney with the new AD-eliminating service bulletin incorporated. The fix has been installed in a dozen or so Trinidads with fine results.

I'm thinking of doing this mod and overhaul with western propeller. They quoted me $2600. Have you been with their work.

I'm thinking of doing this mod and overhaul with western propeller. They quoted me $2600. Have you been with their work.

Western's service has been fine. At 16.4 SPOH a few drops of red dyed oil were visible on the cowl after shutdown. Upon removing the spinner there was a bit slung outward on the inside of the spinner, but no obvious leaks anywhere on the hub. Looking closer where the two hemisphere of the hub were joined I could see a small bead of oil along a section of the seam that did not have any excess sealant on it. I sent pictures to Western who in turn forwarded them to Hartzell. Hartzell's response is that an air bubble probably displaced the sealant at that spot when the two halves were joined. Hartzell recommended a reseal which Western is performing this month at no cost to me. The joys of being the first.

• 6 months later...

I just bought a M20C from Spruce Creek near Daytona and they had someone come to the field to do the inspection as part of the purchase. You can contact Jared at Spruce Creek or I will get the information from the logbook tomorrow if you need it.

Western's service has been fine. At 16.4 SPOH a few drops of red dyed oil were visible on the cowl after shutdown.... Hartzell recommended a reseal which Western is performing this month at no cost to me. The joys of being the first.

I wanted to wait a bit before following up.  It's been nearly 70hrs since the reseal and things are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a M20C from Spruce Creek near Daytona and they had someone come to the field to do the inspection as part of the purchase. You can contact Jared at Spruce Creek or I will get the information from the logbook tomorrow if you need it.

Contact info for Jared, or who did the inspection?

thanks

gabe

• 3 weeks later...