M20C Rajay Turbo w. Aspen, Garmin, STech-50 for Sale

Chessieretriever

Selling our little 1963 Mooney that was used to back up our 351 Rocket. She is a fast and economical plane, cruises at 165kts on 12.5gph at FL 150 and does 170kts at FL 180. Down low without the manual Rajay turbo it will cruise at 150kts all day long. Has 12 gallon auxiliary tank in the rear and the standard 48 gallons in the wings.

Since we purchased it we:

re-sealed both tanks

got a new paint job

And added:

Aspen EFIS

Garmin GTX330 Mode "S" transponder with traffic (ready for ADS-B)

(Traffic displayed on Aspen and Garmin)

PS Engineering top of the line Audio Sytem with recall and bluetooth

Garmin 400Waas GPS coupled to the Stec-50 AP with GPSS (Flyes approaches to minimums)

Dual King Radios

Garmin 496 in the dash for weather

JPI 730

With: Progressive maintenance at MSC (Weber)

The plane has pretty much every speed modification available for a Ranger including:

201 windshield

Gap seals

Rear vertical stabilizer fairings

Leading edge wing fairings

Cowl closure

231 dash

Additionally, 92AV has a great manual Rajay turbo. It has the battery relocated to the rear, dual oil filter systems, Mena Aircraft engine (785h), Plane Power alternator, plus one oxygen bottle with 4 cannulas included for the winning buyer! We have all records and paperwork for the aircraft (one thick folder of pure STC stuff alone). Main wing spar was replaced by previous owner (Maintenance Director for Southwest Airlines). No corrosion at all anywhere (pics are all available).

We have flown >900nm non-stop (take it FL170 with the turbo and then decrease power to 50% and continue at 150kts burning 7.4gph) without having to install Monroe tanks (would make this a 1300nm+ airplane if you can handle it)

PRICE $55,000. Aircraft is located at KMPO. We can help with transporting it for reasonable distances and coverage of out of pocket costs. Private message me or call Otto at (570) 807-7513.

post-8338-0-07923600-1347495328_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-63250500-1347495357_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-48655600-1347495395_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-94409200-1347495421_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-54006700-1347495455_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-66404100-1347495497_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-78613700-1347495687_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-25853300-1347495713_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-51503600-1347495772_thumb.jp

post-8338-0-29151700-1347495853_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Many folks have asked questions so below are answers to the most common ones:

Have All Logs since new

Current in all aspects (airframe, engine, AD's, SB's, IFR checks); flown on regular basis

Total Time Airframe 4030TT

Engine 569SMOH, Mena Aircraft Engines done at Tach 216. Major Overhaul in March 1993 at 3378TT

Engine Inspection Prop Strike at Tach time 639, Mena Aircraft Engines in January 2004 At that time engine had 423SMOH. Engine now has 146hours since prop strike inspection. No Oil Leaks. Upgraded Fuel Pump, Carburater, Plane Power Alternator

Engine Oil changed every ~25 hours

Useful Load is 875 lbs

Total Fuel is 60.5 Gallons

All speed mods have the corresponding STC in the records of the aircraft

Turbo is operated with a manual waste gate from the cockpit with a vernier type throttle cable.

Yes we have flown over 1000nm non stop with favourable winds. See flightaware Fuel can be managed to fly 5.5hours.

Hope this helps. OFB

• 2 weeks later...

They probably need to be replaced. You are looking at about $1,100+/- for the discs and labor to install I'd suspect the most of a day to do the install (8+ hours) so in the area of $2,000+/-. However, if I'm correct one quick test is when the plane is on jacks the discs should expand and keep tension on the gear. I was looking at one plane and there was about 1/4 to 3/8" gap when on jacks.

This is a reall sweet sounding plane and I was considering it. I even ordered the CD from the FAA showing all of the 337s and chain of owenrship. Let me know I'll send it to you. I even spoke with the owner on the phone for a while about it but the logisitcs involved were just not working out for me.

1964-M20E: Are you talking about a price for just discs? Or the retrofit so currently manufactured discs can be put on?

I agree its overall a nice setup. I've actually been down with my A&P to look it over and fly it. Great guys and well loved airplane. Unfortunately, the deal is falling apart over the old shock discs.

I believe, the originals are cylinder in shape. Newer appear toroidal (donut) shaped. Control on the ground and shock adsorption are two benefits of new rubber discs.

There has been recent price discussions on sourcing the parts. Use of the search button should result in interesting details.

Changing them out is expensive, but the results are noticeable.

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

Unfortunately, the deal is falling apart over the old shock discs.

Really?? Look at all this plane has. Shock discs, really? I don't get it. What else is wrong with the plane? This is the most fully loaded C I think I've seen here in a long time, and you're going to let it go over just shock discs?? Somebody help me here, has the market for used planes gone this far to hell that people can be this picky about shock discs when there is at least $60-80k worth of upgrades on this plane? Look at it this way, for $55k, you're getting a collection of great Mooney mods with a free airplane thrown in.

• Like 4

The concern is that from my understanding this was a mod made to all m20cs decades ago. Why not this one? What else may have been treated similarly? What about resale.., if it takes $7k to get this airframe up to 1960s par that should be discussed (ad we are doing) and factored in.

My original post was intended to gather information for buyer and seller... Not bring everyone into our negotiation.

• Like 1

The concern is that from my understanding this was a mod made to all m20cs decades ago. Why not this one? What else may have been treated similarly? What about resale.., if it takes $7k to get this airframe up to 1960s par that should be discussed (ad we are doing) and factored in.

My original post was intended to gather information for buyer and seller... Not bring everyone into our negotiation.

OK, $55k + $7k = $62k. Is this plane worth $62K to you? I may be totally out of touch with the current market, but I think the shock discs have already been factored into the price. Now it may be that all the awesome goodies this plane has are not important to you and all you really want is a good, clean stock M20C, in which case pass on this one and keep looking. As someone who has actually paid for upgrades, I think this plane is one heck of a deal and the turbo makes it pretty unique! Don't be surprised if the seller doesn't budge on the price. I wouldn't.

As to the airworthiness of the discs, I'm sure they're just fine to fly on. My plane has the original discs on the nose from 1966 and they pass inspection every year. They're rubber doughnuts and they're dirt simple. If one of them were to suddenly rupture into tiny pieces (very unlikely as they will fail more gradual with visible cracking first), what's the worst that could happen? One wing, or the nose is lower to the ground. Kind of like a Cherokee with a flat Oleo strut. Not the end of the world.

If it were me and the only thing the pre buy turns up is these old discs, I'd pay the man and keep flying the plane as is. I would then plan on doing the disc upgrade at the next annual. Maybe start with the nose gear first as it is probably the most critical due to prop clearence issues. Then maybe next annual, plan for the mains.

• Like 3

There are no perfect 40+ year old planes, at any price. I like the analogy to fuel tank work... sooner or later every Mooney will need it, so plan for it and don't necessarily walk away from an otherwise very nice plane because of an easily correctable maintenance item. If the rest of the plane checks out, then go for it!

This doesn't have to cost 7k. Buy the new disk for around 1k and then call Lasar, ebay or a salvage yard for the other parts you need to install the new style disk. With a little creativity and work on your part it should be around 2k or a little over. The disk will be new and the used steel parts that hold the disk will be fine. This will be an easy problem to fix compared to resealing tanks or overhauling an engine.

Hi,

I am very interested in your Mooney. I have owned a total of 3 different planes, a Piper turbo Arrow, a Seneca III Turbo (twin) and a V-tail Bonanza. Each of these planes were owned by my company and my former business partner was a pilot. I do not currently have a PPL, however I am going to start building time with my son shortly. My other son (His twin brother) has his PPL and is currently about 1-2 months from completing his IFR. I flew the Piper Arrow and V-tail right wing with my partner frequently for business and pleasure travel. We had a full time professional pilot on staff for the Seneca twin and used it for more serious regional business travel including other key employees that used it.

When I bought out my business partner back in 07, he kept the Bonanza, Seneca III and Hanger as part of the deal. Since then, I have not had a plane. With 1 son going for his IFR, my other son going for his VFR, I figured its time for me to get my license and get a plane we can all use.

I am looking for a plane that my son and I can use to get our PPL, but something that is also capable of flying from KPAE (Everett, WA) to Mesquite Airport in Nevada (753 KMiles) with my son at the controls flying IFR. My folks just bought a retirement home in Mesquite (an hour outside of Las Vegas) and we will expect to do a fair amount of travel back and forth. Longer term, the plan is to get a 6 seat single that can cruise at 200kts. A Cessna P-210 T with range extenders and the 520 upgraded 310 HP Turbo Normalized engine seems to be the right aircraft for doing this 750 knot trip with 3-5 people regularly. The B36TC Bonanza doesnt seem like a true 6 seater for long flights. I would sacrifice the 5th person capability for the right 4 seat plane that could actually take 4 adults 750 KMIles while travelling at a preferable 200KTS, however 175+ is reasonable. Im sorry for going off topic, but I figured I could perhaps get a couple questions answered at the same time...

Can a Mooney with the Rocket conversion comfortably hold 4 adults (600LBS ) on this mission profile? Would an SR22 handle this flight better than the Mooney? Ideally Id like to make it non stop.

Back to the subject at hand... Were looking for an aircraft that my son and I can train in and that can also handle the Everett, WA to Mesquite, NV IFR flight with my IFR rated son at the controls, along with the ability to do some light weight business travel while were training and building experience. I have looked around quite a bit, and almost leased an 02 SR22, before deciding that if I was going to end up with a 6 seater in 2-3 years, an sr-22 might be harder to sell.

I stumbled across this plane when looking for basic low cost Mooneys to use for training. It seems like and extra 20k gets you a very capable machine that actually can compete with something like an SR22 in terms of performance capabilities.

From what I have seen, this aircraft is a very good deal. I did not notice any pics of the interior accomodations, nor any mention of them. Can I see a few interior pics of the seating?

Would you be willing to assist in getting the aircraft up this direction if we wired you the money and purchased the plane? The plane is located quite a ways from Seattle area and my son still has a bit further to go before his IFR is completed. Were getting into the time of year where its not practical to transport this far via a VFR flight. Ideally, it would be great if my son could fly down to you, and take the plane back with you, as a way to gain familiarity with the aircraft, however I am not sure how someone would feel about having to trek 1300 Miles or whatever it is to Seattle as part of the sale on a plane that seems like its priced very aggressively to begin with. Sorry for all of the questions, I am not trying to be a pain in the neck. I am a serious interested buyer, and I just dont have the level of experience that many potential buyers likely have.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

I'm generally not in favor of using Mooneys for primary training, but they are great for instrument training and of course real XC travel. This plane might be a great interim step in your situation as it offers a lot of capability for serious travel up high for very modest money.

Short answer on your other prospects... NONE of the 4-place planes on the market will reasonably handle 4 adults over 750 NM with bags IMO. A T/P210 would certainly do well, as would a turbo-normalized A36 Bonanza with the Tornado Alley Turbos upgrades. Some Twins might be better candidates at 3x the operating costs. If you want to fly it year-round, then you need FIKI capability and that will further reduce the options. Airline tickets in the winter are always a smart choice, even if you have FIKI.

Ken,

I don't believe you will find any single capable of carrying 3-5 people for 750 nm at 200 kts or so that you will be able to safely fly for quite some time. You would be safer separating your ultimate goals from your training goals. Buying a good, used trainer and reselling it when you and your son are done is probably cheaper and easier than you think. Prices seem to have stabilized a little and, if you take care of it, a trainer can probably be sold for close to what you pay for it. By then you may be ready to look at acceptable high performance singles that will do some of what you ask.

• 2 weeks later...

TO EVERY ONE THAT CONTACTED ME REGARDING N92AV. Thank you very much! The airplane sold several weeks ago and is now happily reisiding with its new owner 700 miles from our airport. A trip out of the country for me with a return 'sandbagged' by hurricane Sandy and no electricity and communications infrastructure afterwards prevented me from responding to all the inquiries and comments in a timely manner; my appologies for this. Good luck with your search. OFB

• 2 years later...