Avionics upgrade scheduled

omega708

Took the plunge and scheduled a partial panel upgrade. We're leaving for vacation on Friday, so I'm dropping the plane off on Thursday. On the docket is the replacement of my shotgun panel with a standard 6 pack, a new PS-Engineering 8000B in place of the OLD Narco audio panel... And the big one: the removal of my Apollo 2001 GPS, Apollo 360 Slaved Map, and my TKM Mx11 primary comm, to be replaced with a shiny new Garmin GTN-650 and a GI-106a.

While the panel work is going on, Aero Comfort is wrapping the yokes and installing PTT on each as well.

I also have the avionics shop pulling my inop ADF and installing a new Davtron Chronometer/OAT/Voltage gauge.

I'll post before and after pictures after the work is complete, which should be complete by 9/28.

Pretty darn excited.

• Like 1

That's awesome! I have started getting parts for my upgrade. I can't wait to see the before and after. You are going to love the leather wrapped yokes. How much they charging you? I got the full works, mooney logo x2, ptt x2, and had the old clock removed and a plate installed in its place.

I'm expecting the final $ figure on the yokes on Monday, but am having the exact same thing done that you had done. Once everything is complete, I'll share the experience and the cost as well... I currently have a Velcro PTT, and the previous owner installed a tennis racket grip on the left side of the pilot yoke. Looking forward to bidding both of those farewell. The PTT on the copilot side will be nice as well since I occasionally fly with other pilots.

You are going to love the standard panel and the leather wrapped yokes. Who is cutting your panel? I like the work Hendricks does.

Yeah, the instrument scan will be much better with a standard layout.

I'm using McKee Avionics in San Marcos, they came highly recommended by SWTA and I've read some positive pireps on this forum as well. Thus far they've been very pleasant to work with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

N9638M will return to service later this week... A few minor delays have pushed the completion date back.

Avionics shop had to return the Nulites and use a different product because Nulite has apparently changed their design slightly and they take up a little too much room in my tight panel.

Ended up using these instead... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/umabezellight.php?clickkey=13558

Pictures to follow in the next few days!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice! I just did stage 1 of a planned 4 stage upgrade. (Trying to pay cash and avoid over-extending). I took out an old Narco comm selector from the right side panel. Previously I had taken out an old tube ADF in the middle stack and an even older NARCO 12 tube nav comm from the right side. We removed some crazy intercom system and the 3 marker beacon lights from the left side also. Stage 2 will be pilot side panel upgrade to a nice 8 pack similar to yours and then Stage 3 pulling everything out of the right side and putting in a JPI EDM 930. Stage 4 will happen when the KX155 croaks and then I'll put in either a Garmin 530 or better as long as it fits. The 60's woodgrain is going and painted panels will be the new look.

post-8079-0-05313700-1351503606_thumb.jp