has anyone had any experience, good or bad with the MVP50P

tradin1

I don't have any personal experience with the MVP-50, but I do have personal experience with other EI products (the UBG-16, the FP-5L, and the R-1 tach). The products are good, and their support has been excellent for the few issues I've had. FWIW...

I have a bunch of the EI stuff as well and wouldn't hesitate with buying the MVP-50. I actually plan to install one during an annual in a few more years. Would involve a new passenger side panel though.

Dave has one installed in his M20F, so hopefully he will see this and comment on his experiences.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

There was no bait, I bought the A2000 and wish I would have gone with the G500. Before you ask, it loses SV all the time and the hsi has gone blank more than once.

Either way I'm going with the jpi based on helpful input from mmopa.

Last time I checked we were supposed to help each other share info for the betterment of the community...

Well, I was going to get into it, but you already made up your mind. Best of luck with your 930 and I hope your Aspen settles down. I too am visiting the avionics shop way too often and it gets really, really old, so I sympathise.

I had the same delima when I upgraded my panel. I debated between the Aspen and the G500. The G500 won out, and from the reports I'm hearing, I think I made the right decision there. The G500 is amazing. I also debated between the JPI 930 and the MVP-50. I went with the MVP 50, and so far have been very happy with it. I had a JPI 700 before, and what I have learned is that the temps reported by the 700 were higher than actual. I do not think that the JPI would have been a bad decision, I just thought that the MVP 50 was a better value for the money with its additinal features.

• 1 year later...

For what it is worth, I recently had a second problem with my JPI 700 and the people at JPI tried to mislead me into thinking they were helping me upgrade from the 700 to the 730 (about a $1300 cost) with a $200 price reduction.  It turned out the "price reduction" was a $200 rebate being offered for OSh and JPI was giving me nothing.  When qustioned the guy at JPI admitted he wasn't really going to help me and the rebate was all he was offering.  I ended up speaking to his boss about the way I was treated and got a little more satisfaction but I advise not trusting JPI's customer service.

On the other hand, I have a EI volt/amp meter and it works great.  No problems ever but it is very simple in comparison.

On the third hand (how many hands can one person have?), the JPI 730 seems to be working very well.  Also not a 930 but pretty similar.

I have the JPI930.  I have several hundred hours with it, it has never failed and does a very good job.  It is my primary readout for all engine functions.  I don't have any experience with the EI though.

JPI's customer service was not the greatest when I first got my unit.  Also, at least one of the functions that was pilot customizable when I bought mine, is not so any longer.  Can't change the horsepower constant and mine is wrong.  The unit went into JPI for some work and this function and one or two others were locked out when it came back, they can be changed by my A&P but not by me.  But that is not a major thing, the unit just works and works really well.

There is one issue with electronic engine monitors worth mentioning, and that is that if you lose your electrical power to the panel you also lose all those gauges.  It is not that big a deal, you leave the Master on long enough to set the engine at a stable cruise setting and then leave it alone after the Master is off, but don't think it won't happen somewhere along the line.  Not the units fault, maybe the alternator goes and you need to conserve power.  I think the same would happen with the factory engine gauges, but don't have any experience with that.  At any rate, it does not matter who the monitor manufacturer was, they are all going to have the same problem. 

I have a MVP50P installed and no complaints after 18 months. I find the ROP/LOP assist a little tricky to use which I am not sure is design or user error, everything else though is great. No feedback I can give on JPI to contrast though.

I installed the MVP-50 In my C and I love it, I did have an issue with a regulator failure that caused an over voltage that back fed power thru ground, it did some damage to the CPU and power supply. I sent it back to EI and they covered the repair under warranty. If you like the idea of the MVP-50 then I suggest you look into the CGR-30 that they just released, it fits into the standard 3 1/8 inch hole. It handles all the primary feature like the MVP including fuel quantity.

• Like 1

That CRG-30 is most interesting and showed well at the AOPA Summit in Ft. Worth. The beauty is it doesn't require panel modification. I have been a champion of JPI for many years. They make a fine product but they don't listen to their customers and their customer service leaves much to be desired. A shame.

I've been very happy with the 830 I purchased 2 years ago. I have not had any problems with it.  I've e-mailed their tech support 4 or 5 times with questions and they were either answered the same day or the next day. 2 year ago it seemed like  the best choice for me, If buying it today I would look really hard at the CRG-30 simply because it is Primary for many of the gauges.

There was no bait, I bought the A2000 and wish I would have gone with the G500. Before you ask, it loses SV all the time and the hsi has gone blank more than once.

Either way I'm going with the jpi based on helpful input from mmopa.

Last time I checked we were supposed to help each other share info for the betterment of the community...

I am sorry to hear this about the Aspen. Peter Lyons owns a Mooney and is here on Mooneyspace. He cares tremendously about the product. Fear not.... Part 23 reg's will be relaxed soon and instead of a G500 or Aspen, you'll have choices abound for a fraction of the cost.

Dave, He's talking about the reorganization of Part 23.  They want to create a new "noncommercial " classification.  Open up this Link and read section 3.3.5.  Now the house and senate passed bills to push concepts like this through but I think it will be a long time before we see something like this actually get implemented.  Nice idea though.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/committees/documents/media/Part.23.Reorganization.ARC.FINAL.Report.pdf