Rigging Problem

marks

I have an '89 J model that doesn't fly straight.  If I center the ball and put in the required aileron in order to fly straight ahead I will be slightly to the right with the yoke.  Then if I let go, the plane will begin banking to the left and would go right over if I let it.  My mechanic pulled out the five-foot-long Mooney rigging tools (they look like giant lobster shell crackers) and according to him the rigging is neutral and the only solution is to follow a "bending procedure" with the control surfaces according to the book.  -  I can make the plane fly with no-hands only if I give enough right rudder to push the ball out of the center.  Does anyone else have this problem?  The plane has no damage history and everything looks like it should.

It is likely you have a reskinned or repaired control surface, likely an aileron. Look for any bowing in your aileron (lay a yard stick on the aileron to check for bowing). Also, check for any rosie or repair rivets or odd rivet patterns on your ailerons. Look for any excessive tabbing on the trailing edges of any control surface. This is usually a dead give away.

If the ball is centered and your mechanic had the rigging boards and checked everything (including rod end play), then there is likely no other explanation. Your 201 should fly straight, hands off....always.

I don't have any tabs of any kind on any trailing edges.  You say "excessive tabbing", does this mean that some tabs on a Mooney's control surfaces are normal?  There doesn't appear to be any unusual rivet patterns or bowing, but I will take a trip out to the airport today and take a much closer look.

Where do you live, and how savvy is your mechanic with rigging Mooneys?  The fact that he has the travel boards is a good thing, so at least you've got that going for you.  Any idea if he clamped the yokes and rudder pedals level before checking with the travel boards?  There are a LOT of intermediate steps that need to be done before you go bending things on the ailerons. 

How long have you had the plane, and any idea how many owners it has had?  Any notations in the logs of rigging adjustments or control surface repair/replacement?  

Quote: marks

I don't have any tabs of any kind on any trailing edges.  You say "excessive tabbing", does this mean that some tabs on a Mooney's control surfaces are normal?  There doesn't appear to be any unusual rivet patterns or bowing, but I will take a trip out to the airport today and take a much closer look.

I live on Martha's Vineyard and use Shoreline Aviation in Marshfield MA.  Shoreline is qualified to install TKS de-ice equipment on Mooneys and my mechanic-owner has dealt with Mooney many times and nearly became an official Mooney Service Center but had differences with the arrangement with Mooney.  My relationship with my mechanic means that we do every recommended service procedure each and every year and I normally spend several times more than others, but I've been there and all the hours and service I believe are worth it.

I have over 800 hours of my own time on the plane but it has always been left-wing heavy.  Recently we removed the ADF antenna and replaced the original rotating beacon with the Mini Red Baron LED anti-collision light, so I think with a little less drag at the tail, the left-wing heavy situation has gotten worse.

KS,  I have to say that my mechanic agrees with you that there are a number of other intermediate steps to take. We did not clamp the rudder pedals or the yokes but took a quick look while two mechanics checked to see the yokes were level.  We did remove the transponder antenna and moved it well back of the wings and that seemed to help a bit.  We will do everything, a tiny bit at a time until the problem has been corrected.

KS,  I have to say that my mechanic agrees with you that there are a number of other intermediate steps to take. We did not clamp the rudder pedals or the yokes but took a quick look while two mechanics checked to see the yokes were level.  We did remove the transponder antenna and moved it well back of the wings and that seemed to help a bit.  We will do everything, a tiny bit at a time until the problem has been corrected.

Dan is correct...  I forgot to mention that if you want to be thorough, jack and level the plane to make sure the ball centers (check with a level across the seat tracks).  Then clamp the pedals and yokes with no load on the gear, and check rudder and ailerons with the travel boards.  You should also check flap position too as asymmetric flap position will cause some roll.

Kerry McIntyre's article is very thorough and worth finding.

I checked the plane since last posting and the ailerons look like they came out of the factory.. no funny rivet patterns or bowing.  All of your suggestions are great and I really appreciate them.  I will get the article from Trey, will check the gear and the turn coordinator and we will get to the bottom of things.  I'll let everyone know the results.  If there are any other ideas please post them.  -  Incidentally, my plane was the cover girl on Jan. 1990 AOPA Magazine.  She's the first Advanced Trainer model N900AT.  I purchased the plane to upgrade its systems with new autopilot etc.  It was a very strange plane with a push to talk switch in the back seat for the CFI and many other unusual features. 

I checked the plane since last posting and the ailerons look like they came out of the factory.. no funny rivet patterns or bowing.  All of your suggestions are great and I really appreciate them.  I will get the article from Trey, will check the gear and the turn coordinator and we will get to the bottom of things.  I'll let everyone know the results.  If there are any other ideas please post them.  -  Incidentally, my plane was the cover girl on Jan. 1990 AOPA Magazine.  She's the first Advanced Trainer model N900AT.  I purchased the plane to upgrade its systems with new autopilot etc.  It was a very strange plane with a push to talk switch in the back seat for the CFI and many other unusual features. 

The plane was repainted once almost exactly as it came from the factory. (Red & White)  I have an appointment to repaint it starting in October.  I intend to make some changes and add stripes to cover the cabin, with every other strip painted white as before.  But I am going to start with sunset colors on the tail and slowly change from yellow, to orange, the orange-red and finally solid red on the cowling.  The colors have already been selected.  I also have been struggling with the idea of changing the numbers.  I have reserved two different N numbers because 900AT is a mouthful, but I don't know if I have the guts to do it. 

DO NOT BEND ANY SURFACE. Proper way to adjust for roll tendency is by adjusting the outboard flap set screw and the inboard flap link. 

Adjusting Procedure:

1. Make sure the ailerons are free and the autopilot or PC is not engage. 

2. Always check the roll tendency with minimum power on descent.

3. Check for roll tendency with flaps fully extended.

4. Adjust inboard flap link to overcome roll. 

5. Fly the plane again with flaps extended and check for roll.

6. Check for roll tendency with flaps fully retracted.

7. Adjust outboard flap set screw.

8. Fly the plane again with flaps retracted and check for roll.

A low flap will cause the wing to raise. Try to adjust the flaps so that they are even with the ailerons.

The rigging tools are good for the initial setting but to get it perfect you need to do the above.

José

I called Trey at MAPA and he answered first ring.  Sadly, he said he doesn't remember the article at all and is fairly sure that the article has not been published for at least the last ten years.  He said if anyone could tell him the month and year - or even just the year, he will track it down and get it to me.   So,  does anyone have this article or know the date?

Before going out bending surfaces check the right flap inboard surface and link. If someone heavy has step on the right flap when it was retracted this may cause a minor deformation on the surface and attachment point that will cause the flap to be lower thus creating a left roll tendency. To correct for this adjust the flap inboard link to raise the flap slightly. Bending 1'x 1/3" foot of the aileron trailing edge by 0.08" will not compensate for a 6' x 6" feet down flap surface. To keep passengers from stepping on the flaps have them lowered before boarding and disembarking.

José 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The plane was repainted once almost exactly as it came from the factory. (Red & White) I have an appointment to repaint it starting in October. I intend to make some changes and add stripes to cover the cabin, with every other strip painted white as before. But I am going to start with sunset colors on the tail and slowly change from yellow, to orange, the orange-red and finally solid red on the cowling. The colors have already been selected. I also have been struggling with the idea of changing the numbers. I have reserved two different N numbers because 900AT is a mouthful, but I don't know if I have the guts to do it.

If the aircraft was painted, did the paint shop dynamically balance the flight controls after painting? That would cause a heavy wing situation as well.

Before you get too crazy, have you checked to make sure the ball is reading correctly? That is, is it in the center when the plane is level? Simple things first...

Our first turn coordinator ball was half out the right side of the window in flight. When we swapped it for another T/C we found out that old T/C ball was not level. On a flat surface it was always 1/2 ball to the right.