Mooney: Underpowered Runway Hog

rob

"If you've got 3000' ft of paved runway at low altitudes, or 4000 ft up in the mountains, it's a non-factor."

We use Oceano [L52, 2325 ft. @sea level] frequently with the R model.  Plenty of room for to's and ldg's.   Nornally off by 1300 ft. at 3/4 gross.

There has been a lot of discussion comparing HP with the assumption that MORE HP means < take-off roll.  I do not think this is an accurate assumption as the gross weight of later Mooney's increased significantly.  This resulted in a lot more runway (even with a LOT more horsepower) to get airborne.  My M20E is ready to fly by the time I have the Throttle Full Forward with two aboard.  The ground roll has never been an issue even when near gross on a high density day for 3000-3500' strips in Midwest.  I didn't buy my plane and don't believe most Piper owners buy their plane with short field operations in mind.  Why don't they just stick with the old mantra of tiny cockpits and need to be a double amputee to fly in the rear-seat...

Well now Scott, if you want to talk about JUMPING off the runway, you are absoutely correct in your description of the E.  I love that plane and it's performance.

The R is a great traveler, comfortable and all, but the E is just my favorite performer.  We call here a Zoomer !  Smile

There is quite a bit of back and forth among Bonanza pilots over the TO/ldg performance of the various models. Generally the older lighter ones seem to be the best for unpaved, tight space locations.  The only time I ever felt the J was a runway hog was one time when the temp was 107 f and it was trying hard to rain. There was no way to see what the TO performance/distance was supposed to be, it was off the chart.  I calculated the density altitude and loading and the climb chart said she would go up at 350 FPM. It was a long roll to get airborne but she did indeed go up at 350 fpm.

Quote: Lood

I would like to know how good Bonanza's really are in terms of take off performance compared to a similar powered Mooney? I was once frowned upon by a 300 hp F33A owner when he passed me in the climb and flew away from me. Strangely, he never took into account that I had 100 hp less...

Quote: Kwixdraw

There is quite a bit of back and forth among Bonanza pilots over the TO/ldg performance of the various models. Generally the older lighter ones seem to be the best for unpaved, tight space locations.  The only time I ever felt the J was a runway hog was one time when the temp was 107 f and it was trying hard to rain. There was no way to see what the TO performance/distance was supposed to be, it was off the chart.  I calculated the density altitude and loading and the climb chart said she would go up at 350 FPM. It was a long roll to get airborne but she did indeed go up at 350 fpm.

I have a standard 1999 Eagle with 244 hp (when brand new)  and a 3000 ft asl airport at 90 degrees, with a 5 kt headwind, to clear a 50 ft obstacle requires over 3500 ft. It takes 2600 without obstacle clearance, so anything under 3000 ft in the summer is close. Anyone claiming to take off in 1500 and landing on 1200 is not operating an Eagle.

Just saying

Ward,

I follow the book, then add some percentage...  It's like adding religion to proven facts.

I haven't been able to accurately measure what's actually happening during landing and take-off, mostly because being fast and not looking straight ahead while being near the ground keeps me busy.

I like your point about how accurate the POH is.  I haven't really been able to measure as many different regimes as I would like too.  I'd like to measure machine performance often, removing religion from the equation. There is room for both just not in take-off length calculations.  (running out of runway on take-off, you are at deadly speeds when you make the mistake.) this situation made me find religion once....

I have proven engine power at altitude vs. fuel flow and speed.  So the rest should match....?

I downloaded the cloud ahoy app a few days ago, but was not aware of the landing and take-off distance measurements.

I'll be working with my flight instructor with some new tools in the back seat.

Maybe he is reading along....

Best regards,

-a-

Quote: WardHolbrook

Don't mean to be critical, but you took off when "There was no way to see what the TO performance/distance was supposed to be, it was off the chart..." I'm glad the takeoff was successful, but it seems like it was a rather foolish thing to do. 

We had pretty much all the runway we could ever use and I had a hard line to abort the TO if I had not been able to lift off by half the runway length. I'm not incautious or suicidal. It was a former F-102 base and has really long runways for just this type DA situation.