New Orleans recommendations?

My inlaws own most of the souvenir shops on bourbon st. Their big store is 222 bourbon st.

Lebanon cafe uptown for the best lebanese this side of the mediterrean.

taj majal in metairie for authentic tandoori (indian ) cooking

loads of other restaurants depending on what you want to eat.

audubon zoo/ aquarium is nice

• 6 years later...
14 minutes ago, Antares said:

About to fly up there myself; any updates on the local fields?

Flight-line First at KNEW still the best place to go for GA.  There is a smaller private airport, 65LA but finding it can be a challenge if you have not been there and no rental cars available.  Runway is 3200x40 but the ditches come right to the asphalt in a couple of places a little scary if you don't fly out of there normally.

PM me when you are arriving I'll be glad to meet up with you for a beer and play tour guide.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Flight-line First at KNEW still the best place to go for GA.  There is a smaller private airport, 65LA but finding it can be a challenge if you have not been there and no rental cars available.  Runway is 3200x40 but the ditches come right to the asphalt in a couple of places a little scary if you don't fly out of there normally.

PM me when you are arriving I'll be glad to meet up with you for a beer and play tour guide.

I'll take you up on that next time I'm there. I was just there for Jazz Fest.

• Like 1

John gives great NO advice!

I think I was in KNEW about seven years ago after getting advice from John...

and forever a fan of the chickoree coffee and the local pastry (beignets)...  Cafe du Monde style!

Have Mooney, will travel.

Best regards and thanks again John,

-a-

• Like 2

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.e4a420ef29113b8522c5d7fff7fd9468.JPGWe used Flightline First in 2012 for both the SEC and NCAA men's basketball tournaments.  The Conference tourney was a little busy but not bad. However the FBO and tower were both overwhelmed with all of the departures the morning after the National Championship. Even though they had departures to the North from both runways like clockwork I think we waited in the parking area 3-4 hours for a phone call to start our engine. Since then we still go to events, but will not leave the day after. 

Flightline did not have us fueled up and ready to go and offered to waive the fuel bill. They were overwhelmed and it just didn't seem right to me so I paid my bill. I will use them next time too. 

I have.  We flew commercial.  Food, Weather, History (went to WWII museum) and of course music were highlights.  It was (unknown to us until arrival) Gayfest so there was an interesting party and people watching was extraordinary.  We had a great time in the Big Easy.  The antique shops and one silver shop was over the top.  It was like a museum.  We just stumbled in because it looked cool.  Walking back inside there was some impressive art on the walls.  It turned out that they were a well known art dealer.  Kel and I got a private guided tour through a beautiful collection that included a Louis XV period bedroom complete with guilted clock.  There were multiple Saturday Evening Post cover Paintings that were huge by Rockwell.  I came for the Gumbo and left a fan.  I enjoyed the Civil War Confederate statues and hope they are not removed.  Although they represent oppression to many they to me represent what we have evolved from.  Hope and opportunity from despair.  Some of the statues are beautiful pieces of sculpture.

• Like 2

KNEW and Flightline. They have taken very good care of me during my previous trips. To get downtown, hail an Uber. The trip takes about 25 minutes.

After I got my instrument ticket, I shot my very first instrument approach in actual conditions into KNEW, where the ceiling was 800 feet. That may not be that low to some here, but to a newly minted instrument pilot it was just right - and thrilling.

As Scott from Iowa said, the World War II museum is not to be missed, although it can consume an entire day. Also, when you arrive at the airport for your departure, walk into the old terminal building which is right next door. It was recently restored to its former glory and is typical of what an old 1930's air terminal looked like in its day and reeks of Art Deco.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Also, when you arrive at the airport for your departure, walk into the old terminal building which is right next door. It was recently restored to its former glory and is typical of what an old 1930's air terminal looked like in its day and reeks of Art Deco.

....and Messina's restaurant in that old terminal is very good.

• Like 1

If you are open to an interesting side trip, consider flying over to Patterson, LA. to visit the Wedell Williams Aviation Museum. You may be able to arrange for a ride to the museum which is nearby the Harry Williams Memorial Airport. We visited this summer and basically had the place to ourselves. Fun to get up close to some round engine speedsters!

Edited by BKlott

My story of lakefront airport:

In February of 1990 I was part of a camera crew working the Super Bowl. We finished a basketball game in Tucson, rushed to the airport and jumped in the Mooney and flew to N. O. We were supposed to be ready to work at 9:00 AM. We made it with 5 min to spare. 

We flew into Lakefront Airport 3 days before the game. The FBO parked my plane.

The job went well and we got all our stuff done. The biggest thing we did was do a live broadcast of the Denver fans marching from their hotel to the Super Dome. During the game all we had to do was shoot the fireworks being shoot off outside when someone scored. I managed to con myself credentials that let me watch the game from the side lines. That was cool, but I got tired of standing. I had a radio and a clipboard and walked around looking angry and yelling into the radio. Nobody gave me any trouble.

Back to the flying part....

We were planning on flying back to Phoenix first thing in the morning. We stopped for breakfast and got to the airport at 7:00 AM.

The mooney was parked with its tail jammed in the corner of the fence line of the ramp with about 100 biz jets parked as tightly as possible in front of it. 

I said “I need my airplane” they said “sorry, there is nothing we can do until the jets leave” There wasn’t enough room left in the ramp to menouver any of the jets around.

It turns out that I was just the first of many severely pissed off aircraft owners. Most way more powerful then I. 

We departed at 2:00 PM.

• Like 2

I’ll be there again next week. Flying into KNEW and driving down to  the Bayou to Buras, which is not far from Venice, about an hour and a half or so,  to fish. Have done this before and it is amazing that there are no airports closer to the destination. 

On 8/26/2018 at 5:30 AM, Bravoman said:

I’ll be there again next week. Flying into KNEW and driving down to  the Bayou to Buras, which is not far from Venice, about an hour and a half or so,  to fish. Have done this before and it is amazing that there are no airports closer to the destination. 

Actually there are some closer.  You have Southern Seaplane, 65LA, and there is a grass strip down in Port Sulphur that the pogy fish spotter planes fly out of but you would be on your own for any services if you can get permission to land.  There has been rumors of building an airport somewhere between N.O. and Buras but it will never happen.

Southern Seaplane, 65LA, is a viable option but call them first if you consider landing there it is a private strip.  I believe the runway is 40x3200 feet of asphalt.  Landing at 65LA will save you about 35 to 40 minutes of driving depending on traffic.  There is a local enterprise not far form the airport they may be willing to bring a car over or SSP may have an agreement with them to get cars there.  Lakefront, KNEW, definitely has more options for services than any other airports in the local area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Southern+Seaplane/@29.8682572,-90.0203588,1196m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8620a0c69375d105:0xa52b001a4073b626!8m2!3d29.866687!4d-90.0207743

Give me a shout when you get here if you have time we can grab a beer or 2 you will pass less than a1/4 mile from my house on your drive down to Buras.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:30 AM, Bravoman said:

Make sure you stop here:

https://m.facebook.com/BBQ23/

Great food!

• Like 2