Bose X vs. Lightspeed Zulu

Mooney65E

Has anyone compared the Bose X and the Zulu headsets. I'd love to hear from anyone who's flown using these two different headsets. I currently fly with the Lightspeed 20 XL and it has been a good headset for a number of years, however, the giant foam earpieces have gradually worn out over time and no longer seal out the noise. Lightspeed offers an upgrade from my set to the Zulu for an attractive price.  Just wondering if they'll last for a couple of years and wear out as my 20 XLs did. Any thoughts from Bose X or Zulu users?

I have a lightspeed Twenty-3G and the earpeices were getting warn out but, more importantly, the audio quit.

Lightspeed with repair a headset - for the cost of shipping - if something goes wrong even when it's out of warrantee. I was near their offices so I stopped in and they gave my headset back to me completely rebuilt.....Amazing customer service!!! I had no problem paying the $30 to replace the ear and head foam. I now have a "new" Twenty-3G".

My wife bought at Zulu for me for Christmas last year. I had a problem with the ear seals "unsealing" when I turned my head. Joe at Lightspeed gave me a new top foam piece for the Zulu and that took care of it. Again, Lightspeed has increadible customer service!!

Comparing the Twenty-3G to the Zulu, I actually prefer the comfort of the Twenty-3G to the Zulu. I can fly for 4 hours with the 3G and not even know it's on my head. But the profile of the Zulu, the audio input on the unit itself and the Bluetooth interface are excellent features as well. You won't go wrong with either the Thirty-3G (they don't make the Twenty-3G) or the Zulu!!

customer service is truly amazing in its ability to win favor with customers. A small price to pay for the benefit it delivers. I find it incredible. It is like Lexus owners raving about the great service while they should be upset about needing service in the first place. More companies should recognize this, since the headsets we buy are at least 10x the cost of manufacturing, it is no wonder companies can give away a few earpieces and head pads.

Some companies however have yet to learn this valuable lesson. My experience with Gill batteries is a perfect example of a company that just doesn't get it.

I've flown wearing both, and you won't go wrong with either. Bluetooth on the Zulu is nice, IF you use it. For me, the Bose is more comfortable, because the Zulu clamped down a bit too tight. I played with both of them at the deserted AOPA convention in Tampa. Bose direct has a $300 trade in allowance for old Series One and Series Two headsets, that you can get for a song on e-Bay.

Bose is USA produced, they both have excellent customer service....it just seems you need it more with Lightspeed. For my $, Bose is still tops, with everyone else chasing them.

I flown with both, and perfer the Zulu.  Echo the customer service comments...top notch.  Also I do use the bluetooth function quite a bit and it's really come in handy.  I got mine with the "tradeup" program which made the price a bit more palitable.  If I had the choice, I'd go with another Zulu.

I have two Bose headsets. They are very comfortable, but have one drawback: on takeoff roll they are not able handle the noise anymore and "overload". It is only in the beginning for about 2-3 seconds. But it seems to depend on who's wearing it, several passengers didn't have this problem. I would buy it again.

I've never worn Bose, but I did upgrade my Lightspeeds from the 15XL to the Zulu and couldn't be happier. I have also noticed a tendency for the seal to break when you move your head a bit. I addressed this with Lightspeed at OSH and their recommendation was to lower the ear cups a little bit so they rode lower down on my head, and that has helped a lot.  

A friend has two Zulus in his airplane, so I have access to (and frequently use) both the Bose X and LS Zulu. The Zulus really are great, and they're better constructed than previous LS headsets. At the $850 price point, however, the real question is, are they 85% as good (or better) than the Bose? I took one of the Zulus with me in the Mooney one day to compare against the Bose directly. Each had certain advantages over the other. Up front, I'll say that with the active noise cancellation engaged, noise was almost equal. The Zulu was better than the Bose for passive noise attenuation, music fidelity, and features (like the Bluetooth feature). The Bose edged ahead of the Zulu on comfort; it simply exerted less force on my head. Since I value first comfort and second active noise cancellation ability, the Bose is my pick, but not by a wide margin.