Minimum IFR instruments, for you.

Quote: jerry-N5911Q

It is all relative -- If you normally fly with 2 copilots, 4 engines and 3 of everything else what do our planes look like? A friend and 747 captain looked at my Mooney a few years ago and commented, "it looks like a single-point failure simulator."  I replied, "what do you mean, simulator?"

Quote: Hank

I agree that WAAS GPS is the box to have in the panel today. But, I don't feel I need a pair of panel-mounted NAV / COM radios any more.  Now that they no longer have vacuum tubes in them, I mean.   Two are nice, but one plus a handheld for backup seems enough in a single-engine plane.  

Of course, I do have two transponders installed, but those DO have vacuum tubes inside.

Quote: carusoam

Rob,

You have one of the highest skilled M20Cs on the planet...

My reference to carb ice is two fold , ice that forms in the carb and ice that forms on the air filter in IMC. alternate air systems on the J and newer are worth considering in my area of the world.  The alternate air system on my C was not nearly as elegant, it liked to get itself stuck in a middle position.

My IPad also has a 24v plug as well.

My Garmin 196 portable still carries its weight, it's was enabled and has extra batteries.

Best regards,

-a-

It does not cost much to have an avionics shop install a plug for a handheld on the panel, so the handheld can be plugged into one of the Comm. antennas in an emergency.  You have to turn the regular Comm. radio for that channel off, you can't use two radios on one antenna at the same time.  But if you have an emergency and power is out or the radio is toast, that is not a problem anyway.  I put mine on the Comm. 2.

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I am going to consolidate all the opinions and make a spreadsheet.

I would like more thoughts/opinions about owning the plane as opposed to renting during the training. I know on this sight of at least two that did their IFR training in their Mooney.

For the private, I rented, and that worked well for me.  I don't know that I'd want to own a trainer (152/172/Warrior/etc.) long term, and I probably wasn't too kind to the planes I trained in.  For the instrument, I already had my Mooney, and trained in it.  For me, at least, the IR was for traveling, so it made sense to do it in the plane I'd be traveling in.

I did my IFR in my Mooney, too. Getting rated was on my list anyway, though, just from a safety perspective. Figured since I bought the plane, may as well learn in it since it's what I would be flying. Other than the one incident described above, it went well and I have to believe I'm more comfortable in IMC because of it. The couple of training flights I did in a rental 172 while my plane was down were quite boring, with so little to do and so much time to do it in!

There's also the consideration of what will it cost to purchase and then sell a trainer, then purchase an airplane to keep. Time, money, travel, inspections, repairs and the all-important hassle factor.