Family Trip

bnicolette

Finally got to use the airplane for another family vacation.  I seem to use it more for commuting and joy riding these days but love when the opportunity comes along to put everybody in there.  It ALMOST justifies the cost of ownership. but not really Wink

Another Mooney, an "F" model, landed right after us and parked right beside us.  I was able to talk to him for a minute, get him to snap a picture of us and was hoping it would be a fellow Mooneyspacer, but he didn't know about the site.  Well he does now.  I heard him on the frequencies on the way down most of the time.  He came from the eastern side of Ohio and we were coming from near Pittsburgh.  He was bringing his family down as well for vacation.  It's so nice the utility and economy the Mooney provides us.

Just a quick clip of our flight down.  Wife and one son sound asleep.  Me and Jett (son #2), were bright eyed and bushy tailed for the whole 2:42.  At least I had somebody to talk to.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1162G

We were thinking of flying down to Charleston while we're here.  I remember visiting one of the plantations when I was young and really enjoyed it.  Would be a nice little side trip.................And I would get to fly the plane again.  Laughing

This was our first "long" trip in the airplane as far as multiple days.  Usually they are just day..cations or one overnight.  I prepped my wife to keep the packing minimal as when we drive down here it's hard to fit all the stuff in the car.  So I really didn't know what to expect the baggage area to hold in the Mooney.  However, it did really well!!  The entire hat shelf was wide open and still had room behind the rear seats.  I was really impressed both with how much stuff we could fit in there and also how CJ (wife) condensed the usual cargo for our summer vacation.

I just got back from Hilton Head. I know what you mean when you said 2.7 hours is better than 10.5 by car. My trip took 2.4 instead of 8.

I had great weather going up and had to dodge some pretty ugly stuff on the way home.

Interesting that your GPS is not set to display track up.

Quote: flyboy0681

You gotta keep working on her. In the beginning my wife would only take short hops for lunch with me but once she realized the value of being somewhere in a couple of hours by plane versus an entire day in the car, she was convinced.

Nice idea guys....

I started with a nice M20C...

Then for her...

She started with a pinch hitter's course years ago.  

Followed it up with an IFR rating so we could get back home safely.

Followed that up with a Mooney with an IFR panel and a handfull of back-up instruments and systems.

Now, She sends me a weekly update on the real estate market within walking distance to the airport closest to the beach.

It's not quite Occeanno, but similar...

I'm going to need another job, not a different one but, a completely new second job.

Be careful with what you ask for.

Where's that smiley???

Best regards....,

-a-

You should read last month's Aviation Consumer. There's a nice writeup on folding bicycles to put in the Mooney and extend your reach from the coastal airport. What part of NJ do you live in that you fly to the beach, anyway?  :-)  [there's your smiley!]

Hank,

26N - Ocean City, NJ

Airport is on the bay side of the island.  Ocean beaches are few city blocks walking distances.  Board walk a couple miles long.  No alcohol sold in town, BYOB.  The 20+ crowd favors the bar scene further north.  Good family atmosphere. 

My second job will be selling/servicing Mooneys, and Ocean City, NJ!!!

I need the MRS to begin flight training....

Best regards :-) ,

-a-