201 Cowling for Pre J Mooney's

Quote: rbridges

It looks like a J cowling, but I don't know what a SWTA looks like specifically.  It was done in'96 I believe, well before I purchased it, but I do know the logs and receipt show mooney mart as the ones who did it.  So, I'm thinking it's an OEM cowl.

Carbon fiber is LOT more expensive than structural fiberglass...that is true.  It has it's place and application, though, especially for the weight-conscious owners like myself.  The galvanic corrosion concerns can be mitigated with good design, so that is not an impossible problem to overcome.  Kevlar doesn't have much of an intelligent application in aircraft structure, I'm afraid, although many ill-informed folks are "wowed" by it.  It is very hard to process and doesn't offer any stiffness or weight advantages.  

The James cowls mentioned earlier do appear to be kevlar. Lots of materials get applied just because they have a mystique about them in the publics mind. Not saying CF isn't great stuff just that there are cost and operational realities to any of these materals which like most things aviation means trade offs.

In my research so far, I found that the Mod Works STC for the 201 cowling on a C model included an engine upgrade to the IO-360-XXXX. If that STC were available, the cost for the engine upgrade would put me as well as most owners out of the market. I'm in search of a set of 201 cowlings to purchase or borrow to help in the fitting of this cowling to the older airframes, specifically my C model to look at the clearances first hand.

Thanks to everyone for your knowledge and helping with this project. It will be a long and interesting project.

If I'm correct, Rob's airplane has Mod Works STC# SA00805AT which installs either an IO-360-A3B6 or IO-360-A3B6D and the 201 cowling on the M20C & G models. That would make it essentially a 201 from firewall forward. Mod Works also has/had STC# SA00946AT which installed a 201 cowling on the M20 E&F models. Sure would be nice to find out about STC SA00946AT as that would potentially solve the cowling issue for E's and F's.

If I recall this correctly, Coy Jacobs had a Trophy 211 mod kit that, with all options, was intended to essentially build a short bodied 201/205. While I know he is a controversial figure to some folk, my dealings with him were always above board, and whatever he said he would do, and at whatever price he quoted, came to pass. In any event Mooney Mart lists a number of mods, including at least two cowl mods. I haven't spoken to Coy in some time, so I am neither endorsing him, nor bashing him. All I can say is that he honored every deal we ever made to the letter, and the workmanship, especially paint, on my 261 conversion was excellent.

• Like 1

I still have a carburetor, or else I've got the only fuel injected plane with carb heat.  If I had an IO-360, I would think that I'd be seeing another 10 knots or so.  As far as these engines go, I'm a novice.  I would imagine one of you guys can tell the difference by looking at these pics.  

post-4101-13468141131329_thumb.jpg

post-4101-13468141131649_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

That's definitely not Mod Works STC. I'd be very interested to know who's it is or if it was done as a field approval (FAA Form 337). Thank for the pictures you sent me. I definitely have more to go on now.

alright, you guys made me look way back for this.  I was mistaken.  The 201 yokes and panel were installed in '95 by Coy Jacobs.  The windshield and cowling were installed in '88 by the Mod Squad in Fenton, MO.  A form 337 was used.  It references 337 dated June 9, 1982:  refer N670207

Quote: rbridges

alright, you guys made me look way back for this.  I was mistaken.  The 201 yokes and panel were installed in '95 by Coy Jacobs.  The windshield and cowling were installed in '88 by the Mod Squad in Fenton, MO.  A form 337 was used.  It references 337 dated June 9, 1982:  refer N670207

Quote: georgeb

For those of you wishing to do the mod using factory 201 parts, good luck with that. I was the last one Coy did. With the factory closing and no longer manufacturing parts, the few parts you can find will come at a premium.....BIG premium.

The latest news is that it would appear that SWTA does not want to sell their STC. I haven't heard back from them, so it's time to move on. I've had some really great input from several of you following this thread. I'm leaning towards a cowl similar to the James Aircraft and Lo Presti cowl. I plan on doing the C & G models first as I can use my C fot the STC and then the E & F models.

I was able to locate a 201 cowling, but am holding off on that for now as the interest is more to the James Aircraft cowling style to upgrade the look and possibly the performance of our older Mooneys.

What do you think of the James Aircraft cowling style for the older Mooney's? I'd appreciate your input and ideas before I start the mold making process.

Thank you.

For those who havn't saw a james cowl before, this is what it looks like. Do this for a reasonable price and I would be very interested. While the oil cooler will need to be relocated and baffling changed or at least modified, I feel it would be good to leave as much of the other fire forward alone as possible.

Why not start a pole with different price options to gauge the interest at different price points.

post-3175-13468141148246_thumb.jpg