ForeFlight -- Documents Function

I recently started using the Documents feature in Foreflight and think its really neat. I uploaded the Mooney POH, Operating guide for the KAP 150 autopilot, Garmin GPS manual etc. Makes it so easy to read having everything anywhere I go.You can bookmark and use the Table of Contents to zip around the file.

Instructions to import

Importing via iTunes: Plug your iPad into your computer using the Apple USB cord and start iTunes on the computer. Inside iTunes, click on the name of your iPad under the Devices listing on the left. On the right pane, click the Apps tab at the top. Scroll to the File Sharing section at the bottom of the page and click on ForeFlight. On the right, you will see a table titled ForeFlight Documents. Drag and drop your files onto this table. While the files are copying over, you will see a brief Sync in Progress message on your iPad. After the copying has completed, launch ForeFlight Mobile and tap on the Documents tab. The files will be imported into the app and appear at the end of your current binder. After a file is imported, it will disappear from the iTunes listing. If a document does not import, make sure it is a supported file format: PDF, JPG, TIF, PNG, GIF.

post-13425-13468141113648_thumb.jpg

post-13425-13468141114128_thumb.jpg

I find that I use the documents feature at home and not in-flight. Its very handy though.. However, I am really looking forward to using their new route editing and planning features in an IFR environment where your clearance almost always is different from your filed plan :)

Quote: bd32322

I find that I use the documents feature at home and not in-flight. Its very handy though.. However, I am really looking forward to using their new route editing and planning features in an IFR environment where your clearance almost always is different from your filed plan :)

You shouldn't even need to have the iPad plugged into your computer, if you have the WiFi sync feature enabled.  I mainly use GoodReader for my PDF and other documents, but it's a handy feature to have in ForeFlight too.

I still use the paper checklist, and another sheet of scratch paper to jot down clearances, frequencies, AWOS, etc. (my finger is too fat for the Foreflight scratchpad), but that's about the only paper I use in the cockpit.

...or set up text message notifications on fltplan.com, which requires no app at all.  I understand flightaware has a similar function, but I haven't used that.  There's really no reason any more to be surprised with your initial clearance.  OTOH, re-routes are another issue.