Any interest in a downloader for an EI UBG-16?

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update. I've been busy on some other things, and had a few frustrations, but the project is still coming along nicely. Latest update is (again) posted at the web site: http://www.interocit...Downloader.html

Some additional photos: http://www.interocit...ses/Photos.html

Hey Dan!

I just found this page. I just bought a Mooney; it's not home yet. I'm discovering all the stuff it has installed; one of the things is an MUX-8A data recorder.

I'm pretty computer a soldering savvy, so I expect once I can get the data on a serial stream, I can parse it out in a reasonable way. The one piece of information I don't have is what the serial connector actually is. The diagrams only show two wires going to it; I presume it's a 2-wire write-only RS-232 serial port. However, it's round; is it a 1/8" mono audio jack? Or is it a stereo jack with only two of the pins connected?

If I knew that, I could get the rest put together myself.

I would also be interested in a download gadget, if you get that put together. That seems like a very sensible way to do it.

If you have a chance, and if this project is still live, please post here to let me know. I tried to click on the links above, but they don't seem to work.

Thanks for any information. Sincerely,

Craig Steffen

My server went down about a week ago, just as I left on a week's vacation; I expect it will be up this afternoon. The data jack is a 1/8" mono jack; the tip is data (TX from the MUX-8A) and the sleeve is ground. Once I get the server back up, there's also a page there that documents the data format; it's a simple text (CSV) stream that just needs a little manipulation on the first (date/time) field.

The project is still going--I'm needing to select a different DC-DC converter IC, and won't be able to get out to the plane until next weekend to determine the power requirements. Once I get that taken care of, I should be able to finish up the layout of the boards and order a few more.

Let me pose a question to those who might be interested in this: how important is the LCD screen to show status? Eliminating it would mean saving about $15 of the parts list and increased battery life (by about 15-20%), but you'd be looking at a blinking LED for status (on, off, blinking at different rates, etc.).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dan,

I would be interested in one as well; however, I am an android guy. Do you think that an android application would be possible? Furthermore, do you think and application compatible with popular android phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 would be possible?

The aviation world is predominantly ruled by Apple products but there are some developers such as the creator of Avare (free)  who are doing great things for a fraction of the cost or none at all.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, what’s the latest on this?  I also just stumbled on this thread, and I have an EI UBG 16 in a Beech Sundowner.  I can’t seem to download data, and am interested in a solution. Thanks for any help or guidance, Greg

Welcome aboard Greg!

Looks like the latest has gone cold by a year...

we can leave @danb35 a message and see if he is around, if he set up his notifications properly, he may get an email from this...

Good luck with your download challenge....

Best regards,

-a-